P.K Subban "ripped"

jammer2

Looks like he is taking is off season work out regime deadly serious, this guy is just ripped!! Article is written by Andrew Berkshire.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/videos/2013/8/21/4644632/pk-subban-gives-fans-a-look-at-his-workout-routine?utm_source=sbnation&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

P.K looks like a guy who is serious about being the best and is more than willing to put in the necessary work. Impressive for a young speedy d-man to be ripped like this. Muscles don't mean domination, but in this instance, it can only help him climb the elite ladder.

• Like 2

Looks like he is taking is off season work out regime deadly serious, this guy is just ripped!!

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/videos/2013/8/21/4644632/pk-subban-gives-fans-a-look-at-his-workout-routine?utm_source=sbnation&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

P.K looks like a guy who is serious about being the best and is more than willing to put in the necessary work. Impressive for a young speedy d-man to be ripped like this. Muscles don't mean domination, but in this instance, it can only help him climb the elite ladder.

Doesn't matter...  they'll hand him the Norris regardless  ;)  Still can't believe that...  

• Like 1

@Polaris922  Should be interesting to see who makes Team Canada, Letang or Subban. They both provide offense and are a tad risky on the defensive side of the ledger. P.K has youth going for him though. If Subban does make in front of Letang, that would make the NHL AND hockey Canada who give him the edge.

@Polaris922  Should be interesting to see who makes Team Canada, Letang or Subban. They both provide offense and are a tad risky on the defensive side of the ledger. P.K has youth going for him though. If Subban does make in front of Letang, that would make the NHL AND hockey Canada who give him the edge.

I think Letang's skating is far superior to Subban's but Subban brings a physical edge Letang lacks.  I'm thinking they both make the squad, but as far as favoritism it's going to depend on what style of play they're looking for in a particular spot.  

@Polaris922

I don't think there's room for both of them. They are similiar players (with Letang having the edge in speed but Subban in physicality) When you have Keith, Weber, Pietrangelo, Doughty as great 2 way defencemen, Staal and Seabrook as your shutdown, there's only room for one freelancer IMO. Canada has enough depth at forward 4th line of Getzlaf?, Eric Stall? Bergeron? Tavares? Seguin? Duchene? Who knows. They're so stacked at forward and D it doesn't really matter.

What does matter IMO is goaltending. The Finns have Rinne. The Swedes Lundquist. The US has Quick. We have a big fat ? So we damn well better have defensively responsible defencemen...and that ISN'T Letang and Subban.

well...it's not like you're completely devoid of talent. RL can still stop the puck (and handle it) better than most. If he and Gilles and the rest of club (and the fans too I guess) can exorcise the demons leftover from draft day - and get rid any other lingering ill will - Luongo should be in good shape to prove he's still a valuable starting goalie.

He sounds good in this interview imo, saying all the right things.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/08/luongo-breaks-his-seven-week-silence.html

@Polaris922

I don't think there's room for both of them. They are similiar players (with Letang having the edge in speed but Subban in physicality) When you have Keith, Weber, Pietrangelo, Doughty as great 2 way defencemen, Staal and Seabrook as your shutdown, there's only room for one freelancer IMO. Canada has enough depth at forward 4th line of Getzlaf?, Eric Stall? Bergeron? Tavares? Seguin? Duchene? Who knows. They're so stacked at forward and D it doesn't really matter.

Is Staal healthy enough to play? I know the Olympics are a little ways off yet, but if he isn't healthy enough to start the season I don't see Team Canada wasting a roster spot on him.

Subban is electric when he is in full stride, Letang does not lift people out of thier seats like Subban does. For pure speed, I'll take Subban every day.

Me too.  I'd love to have either on my team, but if I had to choose one, It'd be Subban. 

Maybe he'd bring his brother and then Canada would have a goalie.

Edited by blocker

@Polaris922 I dunno about Letang staking better than Subban. Subban is electric when he is in full stride, Letang does not lift people out of thier seats like Subban does. For pure speed, I'll take Subban every day.

Letang has won the speed competition at the All Star game every time he's been in it. He's faster having to turn backwards than many skaters are forwards. And honestly he rushes the puck up ice better than Subban could dream of. Subban's skating isn't as good in any facet. Only thing he brings is better physicality and maybe a hair more defensive responsibility.

@Polaris922 Not that I don't believe you, cause I kinda remember Letang doing well at the Skills Comp, but does Wiki have it wrong then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_All-Star_Game_SuperSkills_Competition#Fastest_Skater

He won the defenseman competition when the d-men had to go backwards during the team category in 2012.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/1/28/2755294/nhl-skills-competition-2012-faster-skater-event

He also beat Duncan Keith in it in 2011. I think it's very impressive that though Hagelin had the best time skating forwards, Letang was only 1.5 seconds slower backwards. I should've clarified my post though as in the defenseman category to avoid confusion.

Edited by Polaris922

PK better not fall in love with the weight room too much, putting on all that extra mass  makes for different and not always better bio-mechanics.

his play could actually suffer, like Ovechkin's has.

PK better not fall in love with the weight room too much, putting on all that extra mass  makes for different and not always better bio-mechanics.

Extra mass on a defender might be a good thing though, if it doesn't disable him too much.

I still feel as if you placed Ovie in a more offensive coaching scheme, he would return to the ways of 60 goals a season. I hate the way he is forced to play now, laying out for shot blocks and constantly being forced to dish the puck rather than pass to himself of the boards to attempt to split the defenses like was doing his second year.

It's a valid point, should be interesting to see how he responds to the added mass. I don't think the Habs would have allowed anything that could slow him down....would they?

Which reminds me of the horrible season Roenick had when he bulked up.

Looks like he is taking is off season work out regime deadly serious, this guy is just ripped!! Article is written by Andrew Berkshire.

I workout regularly and am still never in as good as shape as I'd like to be. I know just how hard it is to get that ripped. You have to dedicate a lot of time to look like that, so I give him credit for putting time in at the gym.

But being ripped doesn't always translate to success in your sport. I can think of two athletes where I remember they came back from an off season with added muscle and it didn't work out. Roenick is one. I forget if it was his 2nd or 3rd year here, but he talked about all this added muscle and just a few weeks into the season said how he had to lose the weight because it made him slower. Another was Curtis Martin. He had really good years his first two seasons and came back completely ripped in his third. I'll never forget this one guy at my fantasy football draft kept talking about how Martin was going to have a monster year because he was ripped. Martin tanked that year compared to the previous two and man did we have fun making fun of that guy.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Doesn't matter...  they'll hand him the Norris regardless   ;)  Still can't believe that...  

You didn't honestly think Letang should have won the Norris, did you? Personally, I think he's a glorified Marc-Andre Bergeron. Subban grew defensively last year and was better with and without the puck than Letang... Then again, I also don't see what the big deal was about Ryan Suter

You didn't honestly think Letang should have won the Norris, did you? Personally, I think he's a glorified Marc-Andre Bergeron. Subban grew defensively last year and was better with and without the puck than Letang... Then again, I also don't see what the big deal was about Ryan Suter

Letang by a long shot. Tied for the lead in points in ten less games, better plus/minus than the other two combined. Hell Suter was 236th in the league at a measly +2. How is that "leading" a team anywhere. Letang is a better defensive player than Suter and Subban because his skating and speed put him head and shoulders above most other players. The only knock on him is his size, but we've seen many great defenseman play positionally and get the job done. Sunbeam is more physical, but Letang is better positionally.

To me it comes down to Subban and Letang... And Letang gets the edge by performing better offensively and defensively. The Pens had more goals per game and gave up less goals per game than the Habs. Direct results of number one defenseman being on the ice half the game.

@Polaris922

Think Subban would put up more points playing with Crosby and Malkin instead of....who does Subban play with????

Maybe... Maybe not. I don't think Subban is as good as many of you do. You always fall on this topic as though Letang makes a five foot pass and everyone else does the rest. He'd be the #1 d-man on most teams in the league.

@Polaris922

No doubt. I just like my D with a little D.

He plays quite solid positional D, and if he pinches too much, he gets back and prevents a clean shot a lot of the time thanks to his skating. Not perfect but he's still quite good at D. There are a handful better defensively but really not many. And Subban certainly isn't one of them.

Edited by Polaris922