Trade Coming on D? (split)

Guest murraycraven

It would be a shame to see Coburn or Meszaros (more likely) traded just to get to the cap, knowing that we'll be like $4 million under as soon as Pronger goes on LTIR.

If Meszaros (27 years old) goes we have a really old defense.

Timonen - 38

Gill - 38

Streit - 35

Coburn - 28

Grossmann - 28

Gustafsson - 24

Schenn - 23

I really hope some of these defensemen we drafted pan out, or we're in serious trouble over the next 5 years.

It would be a shame to see Coburn or Meszaros (more likely) traded just to get to the cap, knowing that we'll be like $4 million under as soon as Pronger goes on LTIR.

Timonen - 38

Gill - 38

Streit - 35

Coburn - 28

Grossmann - 28

Gustafsson - 24

Schenn - 23

I really hope some of these defensemen we drafted pan out, or we're in serious trouble over the next 5 years.

With Meszaros injury history he might as well be 100 years old.

• Like 2

Mez???

please be Mez. that first season where he was a beast was great but since it's been everything but.  I'm of the unfortunate belief that he is now way too fragile to be counted on and thus needs to be moved.  Such a shame because I really loved his game preinjury

• Like 1

@Spinorama  Yeah, at this point, get Mez healthy and ship him away before he gets hurt again. The market is for d-men now is really seller friendly....d-men will be at a premium at the seasons starting point. The teams that get their 3-4 guys hurt in camp will use the LTIR and go shopping and Mez had a respectable contract to pick up, and will come very cheap due to the Flyers just wanting to shed cap.

am i the only one who HASN'T given up on Mez? he's 27 FCOL! yes, when he's healthy, he's great. and yes, he's had a bad run of injuries. BUT, IF he can stay healthy for a season and play as he's capable... he's better than any trade for a D man that we could realistically make. in other words, i think the upside to keeping him is much greater than the downside. maybe it is just me though. 

• Like 3

am i the only one who HASN'T given up on Mez? he's 27 FCOL! yes, when he's healthy, he's great. and yes, he's had a bad run of injuries. BUT, IF he can stay healthy for a season and play as he's capable... he's better than any trade for a D man that we could realistically make. in other words, i think the upside to keeping him is much greater than the downside. maybe it is just me though.

I'm with you Bak. Plus, if he is hurt again, he will be on ltir, and a bargain this coming offseason as his contract expires. No real risk or downside to keeping Mesz for one more season.

• Like 1

@murraycraven  I would much rather have Grossmann than Mez. He's way more valuable, and does not get hurt as often, so there is a bit more trust there on the org's part. I'm interested in shedding his salary, and it is addition by subtraction because it opens a clear spot for Gus and or Oliver.

• Like 1

@murraycraven  I would much rather have Grossmann than Mez. He's way more valuable, and does not get hurt as often, so there is a bit more trust there on the org's part. I'm interested in shedding his salary, and it is addition by subtraction because it opens a clear spot for Gus and or Oliver.

i'm not so sure about that jammer. he's had many knee injuries, but worse yet... concussions. 

With our past injury history, I hope we just are patient with moving someone.  First, I don't think Gill has basically any chance to make the team.  They did this with Berard a couple of years ago and he didn't sniff a contract.  Second, at the moment I prefer to move Gervais and MAB to the minors and Laughton to junior to get under the cap, then sign Gagne once Pronger goes on the LTIR.  At the moment, that makes Gus the #7, not the greatest role for him unless we are going to use him in a rotation with Streit and Timonen to keep them fresh, but if/when an injury happens, he moves into your top 6 and only then does someone like Gervais become an options for this team as a #7.  I want depth, I want options and keeping the top 7 we have now gives us the most. 

@Bakanekimiwa  hmm, I totally forgot about Grossmann's concussion problems. Just checked and it looks like he had 2 separate concussions last year, one in Nov and one that forced him to miss the teams last 13 games. That is not good at all, I might be leaning towards Mez right now. Either way, on the surface it appears we have no problem accommodating the youngsters. No way does this crew stay healthy.

Timonen - 38

Gill - 38

Streit - 35

Coburn - 28

Grossmann - 28

Gustafsson - 24

Schenn - 23

Welcome lvphantoms!  Where in the Lehigh Valley do you live?  I was born and raised in Fogelsville and went to Parkland (class 87').

I think Lauridsen can play.  Saw a bit of him last year and liked what I saw.  MAB is young though coming back from major concussion symptoms. Also curious to see what Ghost can do. (Gostisbehere) he is another young prospect.  I have not even included Morin and Haag.  I could see Gill coming in and helping Lauridsen and Gost.  The future does look bright we just have to be patient.

Bak..I don't want to give up on him.  However is recent track record for injuries has me, with good reason, legitamately concerned.  I hope he proves me wrong and plays 70-80 games this year.  I guess I'm just holding my breath for now. 

I'm with you Bak. Plus, if he is hurt again, he will be on ltir, and a bargain this coming offseason as his contract expires. No real risk or downside to keeping Mesz for one more season.

You make an excellant point I did not realize.

please be Mez. that first season where he was a beast was great but since it's been everything but.  I'm of the unfortunate belief that he is now way too fragile to be counted on and thus needs to be moved.  Such a shame because I really loved his game preinjury

Greetings Spin:

I said on earlier threads and say it here: I don't think he is a trade...I think he is an LTIR.  I really don't see him playing again. And remember, Homer was telling us three months ago he was on the road to recovery and would be ready at the end of July...the Organeyezhation is not telling the whole story.

Peace,

Howie

Ya gotta think so due to the fact at the end of last season the D seemed to play better with all the young guys in there, ie. Oliver and Gustav, maybe Manning...add the two we drafted this year and our depth looks surprisingly non-Flyer like, hopeful

am i the only one who HASN'T given up on Mez? he's 27 FCOL!

I loved the guy's game, I didn't want to give up on him!!!  if he remains with the Flyers I'll be totally pulling for him to be who he was.  I just hope if he returns to the ice it isn't more of the brand of "I'm afraid of getting hurt again" hockey he was playing when he came back.  BTW, if they were to trade him I would be hoping for value, not just a reason to dump him off the team.

...I think he is an LTIR.

that's what I'm afraid of

the Organeyezhation is not telling the whole story.

if this will help them get some value for him if he is indeed done as we knew him, that's cool.

the Organeyezhation is not telling the whole story.

I get a kick every now and again when a fan acknowledges that pronunciation, even more so when I see a new to me way of spelling it  ^_^

Nope.  I am in agreement with this line of thinking.