Not looking good for Laughton

Leach27

I'm surprised after seeing him be so effective last year, heck, dominant, in the playoffs, that he hasn't been much of a factor in the Flyers camp. On the other hand he hardly needs to make the team, he's 19. He could definately use more strength for the style he plays against the big boys.

• Like 1

i watched the first 2 periods last night and it was pretty brutal all the way around. Mason looked...okay I guess...barely...and in his defense he was working with players who obviously didn't feel like competing for the puck. If this had been a reg season game we would all be wondering WTF was going on inside that locker room because there was absolutely no motivation from anyone in the O&B. Panacio concentrates on Laughton but it was everyone - just a crappy performance by the Flyers.

There is no need to rush the kid, especially if he has to move to wing to stay with the big club.

Rushing or not, Laughton is no higher than 4th line center on this club for at least the next 5 years behind Roo, Lecavalier, and Coots.

So one of three things will happen:

1. he will be a winger

2. he'll be traded

3. one of our top 3 centers gets moved.

• Like 2

Rushing or not, Laughton is no higher than 4th line center on this club for at least the next 5 years behind Roo, Lecavalier, and Coots.

1. he will be a winger

2. he'll be traded

1. Does he have the tools to be a decent winger?

2. possibly...but in all honesty..what could we reallistically get for him?

3. Roo and Vinny are not being traded.  So do they move Coots?  I say no...Give Coots another year and snap out of that sophmore slump.  At this moment in time... Coots >>> Laughton.  No harm in sending him back to Juniors this year.

1. he will be a winger

2. he'll be traded

It can only logically be a G for Luongo/Miller trade with Homer at the helm.

It can only logically be a G for Luongo/Miller trade with Homer at the helm.

I am assuming you want a sarcastic font to be used here. ;) ......there is no way in hell Laughton would command either a Luongo or Miller  (besides these guys are both head cases too...just say no).  :wacko:  :rolleyes:  Then again with Homer at the helm anything is possible. :P

Edited by pilldoc

I am assuming you want a sarcastic font to be used here. ;) ......there is no way in hell Laughton would command either a Luongo or Miller (besides these guys are both head cases too...just say no). :wacko: :rolleyes: Then again with Homer at the helm anything is possible. :P

I thought the "G for Luongo/Miller" was sarcasm enough. Damn Internet! /shakes fist at sky

1. Does he have the tools to be a decent winger?

2. possibly...but in all honesty..what could we reallistically get for him?

3. Roo and Vinny are not being traded.  So do they move Coots?  I say no...Give Coots another year and snap out of that sophmore slump.  At this moment in time... Coots >>> Laughton.  No harm in sending him back to Juniors this year.

1. Who knows? Sounds like he's willing to try it out. Long run, I think the question is not "can he play wing" but "is he a better winger than he would be center?" because if it's no, then you're not getting maximum value out of the player.

2. Not much right now... but I'm sure he can fetch something or be packaged for something+

3. Unless Coots really takes a step back or stagnates over the next few years, I don't see the Flyers moving him. Laughton appears to be the odd man out for the team's long term plans.... but stay tuned because the Flyers' long term plans change every 60 days ;)

• Like 1

And how many people here wanted to cut ties with Cooter a few months ago, or either Schenn? At least Homer isn't a fan first. He does not get credit when he tries.

quite a few.  I have gone on record not to trade either.  I will blame Homer for alot...however...i will give him credit for not trading our youth away.......yet! ;)

It would be a huge mistake to give up on Laughton because of a log jam at center. We don't even know what we have, he could be a scoring center who plays great defense for all we know. I'd hold unto him, send him back to jr, see how our centers play this year, evaluate the whole scenario and make a decision from a position of strength. Put off any decision as long as possible. Injuries could take place, our current centers could disappoint. Lot's of time to sit back and make a proper decision.

And how many people here wanted to cut ties with Cooter a few months ago, or either Schenn? At least Homer isn't a fan first. He does not get credit when he tries.

I was one of those ok with trading Cooter, but not because I wanted to cut ties with him. I wanted goaltending to be properly addressed and if that took Coots to get it done (a position of strength), then so be it. 

The fact is Homer did give up on youth when he traded away Bob. Now we're in the same situation we've always been because they overvalue forwards and undervalue goaltending and defense. Clake said it publicly, and Homer seems to be executing the same game plan.

They've made positive steps by drafting a few very nice prospects on D. That's exciting to see, and I can't wait to have Morin up here punishing bodies on a nightly basis. I enjoyed watching Schenn crush a few Caps last night.

@jammer2 I'd like to see them hang on to Laughton too and so how he develops. But I guess the upside of having a logjam is that you can use those pieces to deal from a position of strength, like you say. 

I know Laughton was his teams best player, by far, last postseason. On a team that ices Boone Jenner, that's saying something. Laughton was a point per game player in regular season, but put up 13 in 7 playoff games. Gennies best penalty killer, qbed the pp from the point, pretty versatile player. And nobody likes playing against him.

I think we need to change the threads title to "Not looking good for the Flyers"

If last night's game us any indication we are in for a long season.

The only positive I took away from it was at least they had the moxie to climb back into the game by tying the game at 3 in the 2nd period.  Sadly, true to form , they gave up an early period goal at the start of the 3rd period and just ran out of gas.  Like I said last night in game chat...I am reserving judgement on this team until I see at least the first 10-12 games.

Edited by pilldoc

Doc... Agreed.

Watching the preseason did not give me any confidence but preseason is preseason and I try to to put much stock into it. My concern is the continues issues with the offense, defense and goaltending. I am trying hard to believe this team is a playoff team but it is the same issues over and over. Offense only generating from the perimeter, defense below average and questionable goaltending.

Hopefully this is just a young team playing the rust off. We will see...

As for Laughton I have not been impressed but think we should keep him up with the big club. Unless they make a move to get an established winger which I expect... One of the defensemen are getting traded I would imagine.

Posted · Hidden by hf101, September 28, 2013 - triple post
Hidden by hf101, September 28, 2013 - triple post

Doc... Agreed.

Watching the preseason did not give me any confidence but preseason is preseason and I try to to put much stock into it. My concern is the continues issues with the offense, defense and goaltending. I am trying hard to believe this team is a playoff team but it is the same issues over and over. Offense only generating from the perimeter, defense below average and questionable goaltending.

Hopefully this is just a young team playing the rust off. We will see...

As for Laughton I have not been impressed but think we should keep him up with the big club. Unless they make a move to get an established winger which I expect... One of the defensemen are getting traded I would imagine.