Hal Gill signed to 1-year contract

Guest brelic

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=20903

VOORHEES, N.J. – When the Flyers released their opening night roster yesterday, it was noticeably light with only 21 players listed.

Teams are allowed to carry 23 players on their roster at any one time, so there appeared to be some certainty that they would make another roster move or two before opening night.

And that happened Tuesday.

The Flyers signed defenseman Hal Gill to a one-year contract worth $700,000, making him the eighth defenseman on the roster.

They also recalled forward Adam Hall from the Phantoms, making him the 13th forward.

Gill’s signing is the most interesting news though.

In camp on a professional tryout contract, Gill, 38, impressed the Flyers enough to beat out Bruno Gervais and Oliver Lauridsen for a roster spot.

This leaves the Flyers with a glut of NHL defensemen, as most teams carry seven, not eight rearguards, which means the situation could change in the near future.

However, it puts the Flyers in a more comfortable position defensively from a depth perspective than it’s been in the past.

With Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Luke Schenn, Mark Streit, and Nicklas Grossmann locked in as the top five on the blue line, having Erik Gustafsson, Andrej Meszaros and now Gill on the NHL roster and then four defensemen on the Adirondack Phantoms with NHL experience (Gervais, Lauridsen, Brandon Manning and Matt Konan) plus a well-regarded prospect in Mark Alt - and having all 13 defensemen healthy - leaves the team feeling much better about itself when it comes to its defense.

As for Gill, he was considered a long shot when he was brought into camp, as the Flyers didn’t appear to have room for him, but he was able to win a job using his veteran guile.

Gill is positionally sound and is able to smartly force rushing forwards to the outside into lower percentage areas. He also is a big-bodied, net-front presence who can clear the line of sight for the goalies and isn’t afraid to put his 6-foot, 8-inch frame in front of oncoming shots.

In the past five seasons, Gill has blocked exactly 500 shots as a member of the Montreal Canadiens and Nashville Predators.

The Flyers also like what he brings to the locker room as a veteran presence and his leadership qualities. Gill has served in the leadership group in each of his stops in the NHL.

All told, Gill is entering his 17th NHL season and the Flyers will be his sixth team having previously played for Boston, Toronto and Pittsburgh as well as Montreal and Nashville.

He has played in 1,102 regular season games and an additional 110 playoff games. He went to the Stanley Cup Finals twice with the Penguins, winning the Cup in 2009.

Never considered an offensive player, Gill has just 36 goals and 148 assists for 184 points in his career. He has also compiled 960 career penalty minutes.

Check back later today for more on Gill signing with the team after practice.

To contact Anthony SanFilippo email asanfilippo@comcast-spectacor.com or follow him on Twitter @AnthonySan37

Greetings:

Thanks for the post. This is a tough one to assess. 700K is not much. But what does it say about perceived value of the youngins? It's one thing to say they need more seasoning. But this may have a different signal. Sometimes I think Homer and colleagues like big, hulking defenders. It's almost as if "The New NHL" is something they give lip service to while longing for another Barry Ashbee.

Peace,

Howie

• Like 1

I like this guys take on hall gill

In terms of the Gill signing, some people couldn't care less because the man's an 8th defenseman that costs us almost League minimum, but considering how tight our cap situation is on a monthly basis, every expense added draws my attention. 

With that said, there are two ways to look at this acquisition...

For starters, I am not a fan of Gill's. I don't believe he's a solid safety valve, even for being a veteran. The man's an overgrown houseplant, but he comes at 125K cap dollars less than Gervais and will barely be used through the schedule (knock on wood, barring injury). I take comfort in knowing Meszaros is our 7th d-man.... that's actually a pretty impressive look at our blueline depth. 

The second way to look at this is.... Holmgren's only done this to himself. He's forced himself to sign a player like Gill at $700K from all the earlier years of overpaying players and distributing NMC/NTC's like they were acid tabs at a Grateful Dead concert.

(Holmgren's Acid Tabs, awesome name for a band, btw)

Either way, I judge this as an annoyance. We have immovable contracts on deck, and because of those, our management is forced to play a finite hand at this proverbial poker table. 

Let's just keep hoping our defense stays healthy. Please, God, stay healthy.
  • Like 1

We have the most expensive defense in the NHL, we have 8 on our roster, 10 with NHL contracts.

And would anyone put the *performance* of our team defense any higher than 20th?

Just look at those salaries:

Timonen - $6M

Streit - $5.25M

Coburn - $4.5M

Meszaros - $4M

Schenn - $3.6M

Grossman - $3.5M

Gus - $1M

Gill - $700K

TOTAL - $28.5M

Pronger - $4.9M

Bourdon - $612.5K

TOTAL including injured guys with NHL contracts - $34.1M

The salary cap is $64M, so we have 45% of our cap tied up in our 6 starting defensemen. It's 53% when you include Pronger and Bourdon. And we can't exclude Pronger, because his salary will be an issue for the next 4 seasons that requires roster manipulation and puts us at a disadvantage in the summer when his full hit counts.

Does anyone here think we're getting good value for money?

EDIT; Just looked at Chicago's defense. There is no universe in which Streit should be getting paid like Duncan Keith.

• Like 1

yeah I did not like the Streit signing at all, rather work Gus into the lineup full-time. Streit is no Timonen but he's paid almost as much.

on the upside the guy can keep his cool pretty well under pressure and our breakouts should be noticeably improved this year over last year. (of course "over last year" just about everything had better be greatly improved!)

I have argued against Gill from the very beginning.  Though this is a 1 yr deal only and is the bare minimum at 700K.  I just don't get the fascination Homer has with this guy.  He IS 35+ and slow.  So how do the young guys get experience if Homer keeps signing older vets.  ( I thought we were past that stage)

On the bright side...he did not cost us a 2nd rounder and he has no NMC/NTC! :)

EDIT: compliments of DGG pointing out to me how very dyslexic I am in typing! I can't even spell Gill! ( and I make the disclosure, I have had NO alcohol in my system.....YET!) :lol:

Edited by pilldoc

I have argued against Hill from the very beginning.  Though this is a 1 yr deal only and is the bare minimum at 700K.  I just don't get the fascination Homer has with this guy.  He IS 35+ and slow. 

So how do the young guys get experience if Homer keeps signing older vets.  ( I thought we were past that stage)

On the bright side...he did not cost us a 2nd rounder and he has no NMC/NTC! :)

The Flyers signed Al Hill?    :D

• Like 1

Homer is a joke! I know Snider is behind many ala Jerry Jones and Al Davis. So boys and I know Hexy is next GM but a full cleaning is needed. Outside coach who teaches d upgrades in many areas. As I always say a Flyers Fan for life! Go Flyers Go! 

Worst case scenario: They rest Timo/Streit for "maintenance days" on occasion, play Gill as the 6th - or that injury forces him into the lineup

Best case: Homer trades him for a less-than-$700K draft pick to a team looking for "veteran guile"

For Gill, he's on the roster of a team that always tries to compete for the Stanley Cup. If things break "his way" (which,unfortunately, means injury to teammates) he gets playing time here. Or he gets dealt to a team that needs him to play immediately (a la Kent Huskins).

To wit, I would rather have had Huskins or Lauridsen unless they manage to poach a pick for Gill, who likely has more value than a Huskins.

• Like 1