Have we just entered the rebuild zone?

activestick

haha

my answer gonna be " don't say that to management" 

Sadly that's a Snider quote from a few years ago. "We don't rebuild, we retool" or "reload" can't remember which one exactly.

But that kinda tells you all you need to know. We can't accuse them of not being true to their word (though Carter might have a different opinion).

We never rebuild we just retool...

It will have no effect on the cap during the season bc he will sit on LTIR until his contact runs out...

I'm not so sure about that since they admit he will not play again.  Seems to me that the admission will eliminate the LTIR rule.  How could it not?

It won't... There is no cap issue. He is still a member of the NHL PA and will only be an issue when he can't be on the LTIR. Once the season starts he does not count against the cap. The NHL can't make him retire so he simply sits on the LTIR...

It is a non issue...

It won't... There is no cap issue. He is still a member of the NHL PA and will only be an issue when he can't be on the LTIR. Once the season starts he does not count against the cap. The NHL can't make him retire so he simply sits on the LTIR...

It is a non issue...

Gotcha.  Thank you Mr. Snider.....lovely portrait by the way.

With the team admitting that Pronger will never play again, doesn't this have a major salary cap recourse? This could be a cap disaster, unless the plan is to sell everything and start over.

The rebuild started when Carter and Richards were shipped out.

We were supposed to be rebuilding when Carter and Richards got traded. Then somebody thought, like they always do, hey we're only a player or two away from contending.....several overpriced signings later, here we are

can you say Ground Hog Day over and over and over....

I'm not so sure about that since they admit he will not play again.  Seems to me that the admission will eliminate the LTIR rule.  How could it not?

You're confusing the NHL CBA with real life.  No, no cap issue.  If he doesn't officially retire--which makes no sense for Pronger OR for the Flyers--it doesn't effect the LTIR or the cap.

Edited by ruxpin
Sorry. I'm gonna leave this up, but I didn't realize murraycraven had covered this

I think its a BIT early to be talking about rebuilds and such. Around trade deadline is when those talks should get serious if the Flyers are still in the same position.

Bright side is if it does happen, the Flyers have some very nice young players to start at instead of a blank slate of utter barren crap like a team such as, say, the Leafs, started out as.

You could do a lot worse than Giroux, the Schenns, Couturier, Laughton and Voracek as a starting block.

If they do go "rebuild", I wouldn't be surprised to see it over quickly. But hey, lots of hockey yet to be played.

If he doesn't officially retire--which makes no sense for Pronger OR for the Flyers--it doesn't effect the LTIR or the cap.

Wasn't there an article the other day about this? They were saying something like not officially retiring affects Pronger's ability to get another job elsewhere (i.e. St. Louis). So, while his salary is still millions of dollars now, it will never happen. But in the final two years, it's $575K. I'm sure he could get a job paying that much elsewhere (or not be too worried about it since he'll already have amassed a fortune and might want to get on with his life).

In that case, he would forfeit $1M, while the Flyers would have no LTIR benefit and be forced to carry the full hit for 2 years.

Anyway, probably not something that will happen, but it was mentioned in the article.

Wasn't there an article the other day about this? They were saying something like not officially retiring affects Pronger's ability to get another job elsewhere (i.e. St. Louis). So, while his salary is still millions of dollars now, it will never happen. But in the final two years, it's $575K. I'm sure he could get a job paying that much elsewhere (or not be too worried about it since he'll already have amassed a fortune and might want to get on with his life).

In that case, he would forfeit $1M, while the Flyers would have no LTIR benefit and be forced to carry the full hit for 2 years.

Anyway, probably not something that will happen, but it was mentioned in the article.

Yeah, I read that article.   Just saying I'm not concerned that that circumstance will play out.

We've been in the rebuild zone for 2 years now, remember?

With the team admitting that Pronger will never play again, doesn't this have a major salary cap recourse? This could be a cap disaster, unless the plan is to sell everything and start over.

Yeah, I read that article.   Just saying I'm not concerned that that circumstance will play out.

yes.. that article also relates a story from pronger's friends claiming that he still has his allowance money from childhood. in other words... prongs is gonna collect every penny come hell or high water. can i say hell?