Lackluster play...

Polaris922

The past few games have been HORRIBLE! A few minutes of effort, but overall bad play, passes, turnovers, wide shots... I hate to say it but Fleury has been the only one sharp! And he's an average goalie at best!

What is his deal? He's not a bad player, but for a guy who was once thought to be elite, he's just not looked at in that light anymore.

@Polaris922

Maybe I am just used to watching the poor play of the Flyers, but I thought the Pens played great last night. Emery played well above his pay grade so that certainly did not help the Pens. Also, Neal missing an open net several times was of no help either. 

Berube played an excellent chess match. He got his lines on the ice to combat the Pens nicely. He had the VLC line out there almost all night on the Malkin line and the Couturier line out there a lot against the Crosby line. I am not too sure why Bylsma did not double shift Malkin in order to give the Flyers a new look, but that is his call. 

All in all, I think the Penguins out hustled the Flyers, but in the end the Flyers got the lucky bounce on their lone power play. 

It is nice to see competitive play within the division. Hell they all can't be the 2008 Islanders. 

Good game, I was happy with the outcome  :P

@fanaticV3.0

I've enjoyed having Fleury because he shows flashes of brilliance and won a Cup, but overall... His bulk work through the years, he's an average goaltender. It's sad because he was supposed to be the next great thing in net.

@Bertmega

Honestly trying not to sound harsh, but I thought both teams sucked. It was like watching crappy Devils hockey without any defense. The Pens were flying the first period and just couldn't finish. Missed nets, a few posts... I felt Emery played middle ground just playing angles well and the Pens made him look good by shooting at the glass so much. A lot of their 16 shots that period were from outside the dots and that's not challenging the goalie too much. Emery DID stop Sid on a break but Sid looked slow (for him) and not his usual creativity last night.

Malkin has 15 goals since the start of last season so no expectation there. Letang was horrible, and Neal avoided contact all night as though he's afraid to get hurt again or not 100%.

If I'd had a dime for every missed pass... Not just missed but outright fanned on, I could've paid for my tickets. Lackluster skating even by Crosby. Missed opportunities, blind passes to Flyers' sticks, and no emotion.

The Pens served that game up easy. Fleury looked good and maybe Glass (I cant believe i just said that) I can only assume its due to so much time off.

For your boys I though Voracek looked good. And obviously B. Schenn was on his game even with the stupid penalty. Timonen looked horrible, as did Coburn in the first. Nobody else stood out at all from either team. Even crediting Simmonds for the first goal is 'meh' because Bortuzzo had all day to pass the puck and just had a brain fart. Credit Simmonds for hitting him but more Bortuzzo's immature lapse than any big play.

Worst game I've attended this season.

The past few games have been HORRIBLE! A few minutes of effort, but overall bad play, passes, turnovers, wide shots... I hate to say it but Fleury has been the only one sharp! And he's an average goalie at best!

I don't know Polaris, I wouldn't call their play yesterday horrible.  They played the game witin Bylsma's system, stretch passes(which lead to turnovers), constant cycling without anyone going in front of the net leading to shots form the outside, and a defense who's taught to shield the puck instead of moving it if there is any pressure whatsoever. 

In the end I thought that their play was good, but their finish was bad. Lots of chances, a lot of missed nets. Only one I can really fault with a play was Bortuzzo.  I have no idea why he did not move the puck as Simmonds is coming in on the first Flyers goal.  The rest of the Flyers were at the far bench changing, and everyone else had cleared the zone for a quick exit.

A question for our Flyer friends,  What is up with Girioux?  He's seems invisible out there. His highlight of the night was drawing a slashing penalty on Dupuis.   Is he playing with an injury?

I don't know Polaris, I wouldn't call their play yesterday horrible.  They played the game witin Bylsma's system, stretch passes(which lead to turnovers), constant cycling without anyone going in front of the net leading to shots form the outside, and a defense who's taught to shield the puck instead of moving it if there is any pressure whatsoever. 

In the end I thought that their play was good, but their finish was bad. Lots of chances, a lot of missed nets. Only one I can really fault with a play was Bortuzzo.  I have no idea why he did not move the puck as Simmonds is coming in on the first Flyers goal.  The rest of the Flyers were at the far bench changing, and everyone else had cleared the zone for a quick exit.

A question for our Flyer friends,  What is up with Girioux?  He's seems invisible out there. His highlight of the night was drawing a slashing penalty on Dupuis.   Is he playing with an injury?

Did you see how many times they whiffed on even making the pass?  NOt just receiving it, but passing it in the first place?  Receiving it was a whole other issue...  they looked horrible in person bud, regardless of the first period pressure.  

@fanaticV3.0

I've enjoyed having Fleury because he shows flashes of brilliance and won a Cup, but overall... His bulk work through the years, he's an average goaltender. It's sad because he was supposed to be the next great thing in net.

@Bertmega

Honestly trying not to sound harsh, but I thought both teams sucked. It was like watching crappy Devils hockey without any defense. The Pens were flying the first period and just couldn't finish. Missed nets, a few posts... I felt Emery played middle ground just playing angles well and the Pens made him look good by shooting at the glass so much. A lot of their 16 shots that period were from outside the dots and that's not challenging the goalie too much. Emery DID stop Sid on a break but Sid looked slow (for him) and not his usual creativity last night.

Malkin has 15 goals since the start of last season so no expectation there. Letang was horrible, and Neal avoided contact all night as though he's afraid to get hurt again or not 100%.

If I'd had a dime for every missed pass... Not just missed but outright fanned on, I could've paid for my tickets. Lackluster skating even by Crosby. Missed opportunities, blind passes to Flyers' sticks, and no emotion.

The Pens served that game up easy. Fleury looked good and maybe Glass (I cant believe i just said that) I can only assume its due to so much time off.

For your boys I though Voracek looked good. And obviously B. Schenn was on his game even with the stupid penalty. Timonen looked horrible, as did Coburn in the first. Nobody else stood out at all from either team. Even crediting Simmonds for the first goal is 'meh' because Bortuzzo had all day to pass the puck and just had a brain fart. Credit Simmonds for hitting him but more Bortuzzo's immature lapse than any big play.

Worst game I've attended this season.

I would say the same thing about Lunogo. There are a couple of other guys names who I would throw in the mix too if we're talking about just this year. There's some big name goalies in the middle or bottom of the pack. Kinda begs the question of how important having an "elite" goalie is anymore imo.

I like to watch hockey.  I like to see an exciting game, win or lose.  That was just boring as hell.  Regardless of who was winning.  

Have they been "boring" in the two previous losses?  I'm asking first because I haven't seen those games.  But the real reason I'm asking is because I'm getting the feeling that Berube's style is to bore it down.  Not a trap style, obviously, but a defensive style that just sucks the life out of the game.

So, was this game different than the other two losses, as a Pens fan?  Or were the other two boring as well and the "boring" had little to do with the Flyers?

Believe it or not, he was better in that game than in the games previous to this little run the Flyers are  on.   The rumor is that his injury before camp was worse than has been let on, but I can't shake the feeling that's an excuse.   I honestly have no idea, but "seems invisible" is an apt description.

Have they been "boring" in the two previous losses?  I'm asking first because I haven't seen those games.  But the real reason I'm asking is because I'm getting the feeling that Berube's style is to bore it down.  Not a trap style, obviously, but a defensive style that just sucks the life out of the game.

So, was this game different than the other two losses, as a Pens fan?  Or were the other two boring as well and the "boring" had little to do with the Flyers?

The last 2 games have seemed to be predicated on the Flyers moving the puck quickly up ice and attacking more than drop back/approach blue line/drop back again/approach blue line/dump and change that was their signature for the first dozen or so games of the season..........

@fanaticV3.0

That's just it... It's not just this season. He's had I think two real good years. The rest have been bottom half numbers. He just hasn't turned out like we'd hoped for.

@ruxpin

The Rangers game yes... All out if sync. The Blues game they looked sharp from what I saw. I was in Altoona with my son for a hockey game and watching it in a hotel lobby surrounded by 13 year old maniacs. That seemed like a solid effort except by Malkin and Neal. I attributed that to Neal's first game back though.

Honestly with this team, I've always had concerns about long layoffs between games. It just seems to matter.

Did you see how many times they whiffed on even making the pass?  NOt just receiving it, but passing it in the first place?  Receiving it was a whole other issue...  they looked horrible in person bud, regardless of the first period pressure.  

Part of that was the ice itself.   They had the ice covered due to other activities at the Console Energy Center for almost a week and a half before it was uncopvered on Monday.   The Ice at the center is pretty bad on normal days this time of year, but with a circus on it for a week, it only gets worse for a while.

Part of that was the ice itself.   They had the ice covered due to other activities at the Console Energy Center for almost a week and a half before it was uncopvered on Monday.   The Ice at the center is pretty bad on normal days this time of year, but with a circus on it for a week, it only gets worse for a while.

I understand the impact that can have on the ice, but I'll disagree about that being the cause.  Simply put, the problems the Pens had didn't seem to be experienced by the Flyers.  They just didn't look sharp bud.  You've watched them as much as me, you know how crisp their passing can be moving up ice, even when they're not playing all too well with their shots or maybe skating effort.  I just didn't see it.  

Good teams have patches where things get a little wonky.

I thought the Pens had good jump in the first and had some good chances they didn't finish, then as you have pointed out repeatedly they sort of "mehed"  i think the Flyer carry the disease, the games they've played this year not one team has looked "good" it's kind of monkey ******* a football time when the winged p enters the rink.

I have no doubt the little skid the Pens are having will be just that, they'll rip off 5 or 6 wins at a time and look good doing it before you know it.

bonus material, they are playing in the most pathetic division in hockey so there's no pressure to "play lights out" . 

@mojo1917

Yeah they look like a completely different team tonight against Nashville. Not just the score, but effort looks ten times better with crisp passing and some great individual efforts.

@flyersfan83

I don't see that as the issue, really. They have Letang, Martin, and Niskanen at the blue line. Though Martin was out against your boys. It was just a team issue. When Crosby or Letang can't even pass the puck something's wrong.

Like Mojo said as well as some others... Teams go through phases, and the past three games over twelve days was a real bad phase.

I have no problem with the flower he is one of only a small group of players with a Stanley Cup, and he did it against a tough as hell Wings club. He has had a few rough post seasons but he will have some good ones before his career is done.

I have no problem with the flower he is one of only a small group of players with a Stanley Cup, and he did it against a tough as hell Wings club. He has had a few rough post seasons but he will have some good ones before his career is done.

I hope you're right bud...  he hasn't exactly inspired confidence recently.  

@Hockey Junkie

Yup overrated.

Who is the Sabres best forward? Ummm. Mouslon maybe, probably Hodgson. Lets go with him.

How many forwards do the Penguins have better than Hodgson? Keep inmind I like him and think he is a good player.

1. Sid  2. Malkin  3.  Neal   4. Dupuis. So four Pen forwards before Hodson.

We could easily do the same thing at defense. Letang, Martin, Niskanen and Orpik are better than whoever the Sabres have as a number one d-man. Myers? Please. Tallinder  maybe thirty years ago. A couple of good kids but raw as can be.

So you are antagonizing fans of a team that makes your team look like a mediocred AHL squad.

@yave1964

Thanks for the backup.

@hockey_junkie

Overrated? They reached the ECF last season. They're consistently among the top point getters in the regular season, and though they've had some struggles in the post-season, they've made it to the Finals, won a Cup, made it to semi's, two quarters, then conference finals just since '09. In the meantime you've lost two quarter finals and failed to qualify three times.

Your best forward, Matt Moulson, was let go by the Pens for zero compensation because there wasn't room for him here. You just had your entire management cleaned out for incompetence.

What were you saying??

Good grief...

Edited by Polaris922

@yave1964 @Polaris922

Don't use things like facts and stats...you'll just muddy the conversation. Use terms like "early bird special at Applebees" or "warming up the Lumina" or even "coconut milk halibut marinade". Do the Pens have that? Ya, I didn't think so.

Sabres 1 Pens 0

• Like 2