Penguins Fans Named Best in the NHL

hf101

@B21  Yes, the deferred money is now ringing a bell. I seem to remember Mario basically had no choice because he might not have got his money back if he didn't step in

They could have sold out every game from 2001 until the lock-out and still would have filed for bankruptcy protection.

I was surprised, too - but it's Nielsen.  Not some dope on Bleacher Report.  Maybe it's the same Tronno-ites watching/going over and over and over? ;)

I'm going to have to believe this is US-only.

There's no way, for example, that less than 1/3 of Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton (to say nothing of Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver) have watched their home NHL franchise play in some way.

I'm going to have to believe this is US-only.

There's no way, for example, that less than 1/3 of Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton (to say nothing of Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver) have watched their home NHL franchise play in some way.

I was thinking same.

So the midleading thread title should have read

Penguins Fans Named Best in the NHL in U.S. Cities

:ph34r:

Same reply to you, since it fits.... :P

They were...1989-94....with no threat of relocating the franchise either. ;)

I know it's not Pittsburgh to Kansas City, but there was significant talk of moving to Camden or western burbs

I know it's not Pittsburgh to Kansas City, but there was significant talk of moving to Camden or western burbs

Which just means "relocating in the area" - not the threat of losing the franchise entirely.

It was part of the discussions about building a new building, not a threat to leave due to anemic fan support.

@ruxpin  Are these the same "die hard" fans that almost let the team leave due to lack of support? Perhaps enough time has passed that it's the next generation of fans, the kids of the people that didn't care if they moved to Anchorage, Alaska or Kansas City.

When I was junior high/high school age, you could walk up to the ticket window at the Spectrum and buy tickets for that night's game. I've been to games in the Spectrum that were so empty that during warmups opposing team's players would look up when I yelled sh!t at them because they could hear me.

@radoran

Wouldn't moving to Camden be the end of the franchise, and whatever fans attended there?

Camden was never really a serious option - never got beyond the "Camden exists and is a thing" phase.

But moving to the PA burbs - or somewhere else in South Jersey - would be like the Bills in Orchard Park, the Cowboys in Arlington, the Pats in Foxboro, the Redskins in Andover or the "New York" football teams in East Rutherford, NJ.

When I was junior high/high school age, you could walk up to the ticket window at the Spectrum and buy tickets for that night's game. I've been to games in the Spectrum that were so empty that during warmups opposing team's players would look up when I yelled **** at them because they could hear me.

Totally believe you fanatic, but just speaking in terms of generalities, the Flyers have always been well supported, regardless of standings, the same can't be said for the Pens.

AND yes....this an invitation for a stat geek to cross compare the Flyers attendance with points and see if there is some mud in that water.

Which just means "relocating in the area" - not the threat of losing the franchise entirely.

It was part of the discussions about building a new building, not a threat to leave due to anemic fan support.

Details details (agreed. I actually HEARD you responding as I typed the post)

• Like 1

Totally believe you fanatic, but just speaking in terms of generalities, the Flyers have always been well supported, regardless of standings, the same can't be said for the Pens.

AND yes....this an invitation for a stat geek to cross compare the Flyers attendance with points and see if there is some mud in that water.

I have no idea how one measure a good fan base, but straight ticket sales just determines whether people are buying them or not, not if they are fans (corporate stuff) or even going (empty seats that were purchased).

• Like 1

I have no idea how one measure a good fan base, but straight ticket sales just determines whether people are buying them or not, not if they are fans (corporate stuff) or even going (empty seats that were purchased).

Completely agree.

I think maybe only the extremes on either end are noticeable, but even that probably has a certain amount of anecdotal evidence.  The Panthers' fan base clearly stinks, for example.  But there's 25 teams or so in the middle that changes depending upon set of criteria.  I agree with you that ticket sales, while a decent ingredient for determining financial success, is not a great measure of a fan base.  The absence of ticket sales indicates an unsupportive fan base, it still is difficult to measure against other teams given what you cited about tickets purchased vs. empty seats, etc, 

And I''ll repeat... the problem was NOT anemic fan support.. the problem was severe mismanagement at the upper levels of the organization.