Matt Read, the Flyers next 20 goal man this season?

Watching this weekend I was impressed to find out Matt Read now sits with 19 goals.  Not bad for a "3rd" line winger which is a line anchored by Downie (anchored in a bad way not the best sprinter in the last leg of a 4*100m race).  Also not bad for a guy who only sometimes sees time on the 2nd PP unit when there is an injury.  He currently has more goals that JV and SH who both are on the 1st line and 1pp unit.

I had started a thread about the "Value of Matt Read" before he was resigned.  I think a 4 year, 14.5 million contract was justified.

Read scored 24 in his first season and 11 in 48 games last season. He's definitely a 20-goal scorer at this level and, if nothing else, he could be considered a bit underpaid.

His contract and Simmonds' are two of the best that Homer has gotten done. I'm still flabbergasted Simmonds signed for six at under $4M (OK, $3.975M), but happy as heck about it.

Both of them also have tons of "compete" that makes them better hockey players. Happy to have both here.

• Like 2

I am a huge Matt read fan and agree he is a legit year-over-year 20+ goal scorer.  The kid has a great shot and what is more impressive is his overall play.  He is very good defensively and an overall great value to this Team.  I would lump him into the Cooter/Griroux/Schenn/Simmonds untouchable list...

I am a huge Matt read fan and agree he is a legit year-over-year 20+ goal scorer.  The kid has a great shot and what is more impressive is his overall play.  He is very good defensively and an overall great value to this Team.  I would lump him into the Cooter/Griroux/Schenn/Simmonds untouchable list...

I found a mistakenly marked down Read shirt in a pile of Bryzgalov and Briere shirts at Modell's before the season started. Cashier asked "was he cut or something?"

Five of the best dollars I have yet spent.

I found a mistakenly marked down Read shirt in a pile of Bryzgalov and Briere shirts at Modell's before the season started. Cashier asked "was he cut or something?"

Five of the best dollars I have yet spent.

Are you serious? WOW ...Man great job with that find ... and to think I thought my wife was a great bargain hunter! :D

Are you serious? WOW ...Man great job with that find ... and to think I thought my wife was a great bargain hunter! :D

My mom taught me well - always check the "clearance" section.

(to be clear, this is a "shirt" not a "jersey" or "sweater" :D )

My mom taught me well - always check the "clearance" section.

(to be clear, this is a "shirt" not a "jersey" or "sweater" :D )

who cares...a bargain is a bargain!   My wife just found a size 5 suit for our son for $3 in the clearance section...so I know what you mean......

His contract and Simmonds' are two of the best that Homer has gotten done

I agree and i think the Sean Couturier bridge deal has to be included in the discussion.

1.75 mill per for a solid defensive forward with the ability to shutdown star forwards (Crosby/Malkin) in the NHL is priceless in these times!!!!!

Averaging almost 20 minutes a night in all situations (most importantly PK time) and 49% on his faceoffs is sometimes unsung maybe.

And he's even done it it the playoffs already hell of a draft signing!!!!!!!!!!

I agree and i think the Sean Couturier bridge deal has to be included in the discussion.

1.75 mill per for a solid defensive forward with the ability to shutdown star forwards (Crosby/Malkin) in the NHL is priceless in these times!!!!!

Averaging almost 20 minutes a night in all situations (most importantly PK time) and 49% on his faceoffs is sometimes unsung maybe.

And he's even done it it the playoffs already hell of a draft signing!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Couturier's is good, but is it a traditional "bridge" in that he's still RFA at the end of it? His next contract is going to be the interesting one for Homer. Or whoever...

You also forgot to mention his beard. Boy has some FOLLICLES going on there! :D

SIDE NOTE: Simmonds is "making" $2.8M this year - absolutely ridiculous. LeClairian deal that one, IMO. He also got a very similar $1.75M two-year contract and was RFA at the end of it.

I'm not thinking Couturier is signing for under $4M at the end of his...

@OccamsRazor

A lot of Read's success comes from Cooter.

He makes players around him better, he simply does. He has no doubt done so since he was 5 years old. He's a helluva hockey player and once again demonstrated it this weekend. I would put struggling wingers with him, especially speedy ones, if I was looking to get them going....

@OccamsRazor

A lot of Read's success comes from Cooter.

He makes players around him better, he simply does. He has no doubt done so since he was 5 years old. He's a helluva hockey player and once again demonstrated it this weekend. I would put struggling wingers with him, especially speedy ones, if I was looking to get them going....

Yeah, to speak to your point, Couturier has primary assists on seven Read goals, secondary on six more.

Read's also got four shorties - two of which Couturier assisted on. He's only got six goals this season that haven't involved Couturier - one of which was an empty netter.

For me, it shows the importance of guys playing together consistently in all areas - regular strength and special teams. Great depth to have on the "third" line (or, more accurately, "2B").

@radoran

For all the abuse Holmgren takes (and I'm as guilty as anyone) his selection of Couturier over Hamilton, even though he's been knocked for it (not guilty here) is not wrong. Yes we could use defence. And Couturier brings it better than anyone in that draft class.

@radoran

2B for sure. Heck, in the playoffs you can throw out that notion out altogether, or call it 1B - Cooter's play, and his line's play, will be critical to any playoff success we might have.

Agreed on the familiarity thing and playing together.  I'm a big proponent of keeping pairs together like that. Cooter and Read are becoming a very dangerous PK duo, perfect mix of skill, smarts and speed.

@radoran

For all the abuse Holmgren takes (and I'm as guilty as anyone) his selection of Couturier over Hamilton, even though he's been knocked for it (not guilty here) is not wrong. Yes we could use defence. And Couturier brings it better than anyone in that draft class.

Still amazed Couturier dropped that far in the draft, considering everyone knew his skill set and he was a Top 10 easily before his... mononucleosis, wasn't it?

Here's hoping Scott Laughton makes me forget about Olli Maata :D

Still amazed Couturier dropped that far in the draft, considering everyone knew his skill set and he was a Top 10 easily before his... mononucleosis, wasn't it?

Yes it was and God bless the chick who gave it to him! 

@radoran

I think Laughton will end up being a 2B - 3A type center. He'll be valuable, but maybe not as much as Maatta would have been. Depends on if he can carry his offence over with him to the next level. His defence is already NHL ready. Couturier may well end up being a 1B. Pretty sure there are teams that would already take him as their #1.

@radoran

I think Laughton will end up being a 2B - 3A type center. He'll be valuable, but maybe not as much as Maatta would have been. Depends on if he can carry his offence over with him to the next level. His defence is already NHL ready. Couturier may well end up being a 1B. Pretty sure there are teams that would already take him as their #1.

Sabres have interest in Couturier (e3)

:ph34r:

It's crazy. It was a pretty strong draft, but I think Cooter is going to be better than most of the guys that went before him (e.g. Zibanejad, Scheifele, Strome, Larsson, maybe even Huberdeau). He still scored 96 points (in 58 games) after coming back from mono, aka playing with mono).

More importantly, how do you not take a guy who as a 17/18 year old, scores 96 points and is +62?? A kid who was a rink rat, growing up around a pro-hockey playing father in a bunch of different countries. How do you not take that guy? And to think, he's still learning how to skate!

@radoran

I'd do it for their #1 next year.

They'll finally have the center for Vanek they've been looking for!

:ph34r:

It's crazy. It was a pretty strong draft, but I think Cooter is going to be better than most of the guys that went before him (e.g. Zibanejad, Scheifele, Strome, Larsson, maybe even Huberdeau). He still scored 96 points (in 58 games) after coming back from mono, aka playing with mono).

More importantly, how do you not take a guy who as a 17/18 year old, scores 96 points and is +62?? A kid who was a rink rat, growing up around a pro-hockey playing father in a bunch of different countries. How do you not take that guy? And to think, he's still learning how to skate!

Wow, I blessedly forgot the Flyers picked 8 that year :D

Aside from the Top 2 and maybe 3, I don't see anybody in that draft I'd really rather have at this point. And I think Couturier actually stacks up quite well even to RNH. Landeskog may edge him out, and I'd like to see what Huberdeau can deau on an actual NHL squad instead of Florida. RNH, for that matter, too...

And I think Couturier actually stacks up quite well even to RNH. Landeskog may...

Agreed. I'd rather have Cooter's game than RNH's. But I like Landeskog's a lot. They are more directly comparable players than Cooter vs RNH.

Sean needs to conitnue to work on his skating, especially the fast twitch stuff.  That's the last piece to add to his game. His shot can be better too (he doesn't shoot enough is part of the problem).

Yes we could use defence.

Your boy Sanguinetti is available isn't that the guy you covet????? Over that bum Giroux or whatever his name is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The puck carrier they seek!!!!!!!!!!!  :ph34r:

Edited by OccamsRazor

Agreed. I'd rather have Cooter's game than RNH's. But I like Landeskog's a lot. They are more directly comparable players than Cooter vs RNH.

Sean needs to conitnue to work on his skating, especially the fast twitch stuff.  That's the last piece to add to his game. His shot can be better too (he doesn't shoot enough is part of the problem).

good to see you around again.

• Like 1