Avery: Once a bitch always a bitch

fanaticV3.0

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if Avery was onto something, regarding the tone of the highlight package the producers put together? I've not ever watched more than five minutes of DWTS, but for all I know he has  a fair point. Or not; I don't know. One thing that I am pretty sure, and which he said: make an enemy of the producers, and your days are numbered on any show.

And that sounds EXACTLY like the Sean Avery we all know.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if Avery was onto something, regarding the tone of the highlight package the producers put together? I've not ever watched more than five minutes of DWTS, but for all I know he has  a fair point. Or not; I don't know. One thing that I am pretty sure, and which he said: make an enemy of the producers, and your days are numbered on any show.

Was curious...Christy Matthewson fan?

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone here who has.

• Like 1

So Avery is pissed they tried to paint him as the "bad boy" of the show? Isn't his reputation as having been the "bad boy" of the NHL the entire reason he was on the show to begin with?

He's a very strange individual imo. His behavior as a player is well-known - to hockey fans - but he's offended they are portraying him as a bad boy? The whole fashion thing weirds me out too. Not so much that he's into looking nice (I don't care about that), but he acts all high-brow about it.

Was curious...Christy Matthewson fan?

I've had a few old-as-dirt ballplayers for avatars since I was here: Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, and now Mathewson. Am I fan of Mathewson in particular? No, not really. I've always had a certain admiration for him as a pitcher and being a pretty laid back guy in a time where baseball players were a bit of a motley crew: college men, tough guys, rough guys, farm boys, city boys, etc. It was a really mixed crowd in those days, and a pretty rough game when he broke in.

Quit to serve in World War 1, was gassed by the German (just like my great grandfather was at Ypres) and made a sort of Strat-o-Matic baseball game while he laid up in the sanitarium. That's pretty cool. Doesn't receive the credit for it that Ring Lardner does, but while covering the 1918 World Series, openly called out the Chicago ballplayers in question regarding throwing the series.

He was an alright guy, so I guess I'm something of a fan.

Oh, and a hell of a pitcher, too.   ;)

I liked Avery lol.

I hate the textbook clones we have approaching the media after every game "Blah blah it was a team effort blah blah" I miss guys who used to make it interesting. Even Pronger more recently, while I hated his guts, talked a good talk in a media scrum. Roenick was great too hehe.

When Avery made the comment about sloppy seconds, I was in disbelief laughing my head off, and then I was ZONED. I could not wait to watch that game to see if Phaneuf responded with force. And I do not even like either team. Sadly, in NHL joykilling fashion, they suspended him so we would not see the collision. The fact that they made a rule about him screening Brodeur and annoying the crap out of him just because nobody had ever done it before.......it obviously annoyed Brodeur enough for him to let a goal in shortly after lol.

The modern game has not only culled on ice creativity into strict following of systems with short line changes(my opinion), they have also killed NHL players who want to chatter. Half the time when a player says something interesting, you hear they got fined for it.

LOL - 

Martin Brodeur, naturally, was asked about his thoughts on Avery’s exit, to which he told NJ.com: “I didn’t watch, I don’t watch those shows, but I was watching NHL Network and they mentioned it. What more could he do to embarrass himself? There it is!

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/so-the-sean-avery-martin-brodeur-rivalry-is-still-a-thing/

I liked Avery lol.

I hate the textbook clones we have approaching the media after every game "Blah blah it was a team effort blah blah" I miss guys who used to make it interesting. Even Pronger more recently, while I hated his guts, talked a good talk in a media scrum. Roenick was great too hehe.

When Avery made the comment about sloppy seconds, I was in disbelief laughing my head off, and then I was ZONED. I could not wait to watch that game to see if Phaneuf responded with force. And I do not even like either team. Sadly, in NHL joykilling fashion, they suspended him so we would not see the collision. The fact that they made a rule about him screening Brodeur and annoying the crap out of him just because nobody had ever done it before.......it obviously annoyed Brodeur enough for him to let a goal in shortly after lol.

The modern game has not only culled on ice creativity into strict following of systems with short line changes(my opinion), they have also killed NHL players who want to chatter. Half the time when a player says something interesting, you hear they got fined for it.

Sean Avery... Was the Eddie Stanky of the NHL. A clearly intelligent guy, but not liked because he was a straight jackass.

In 1950, Stanky was playing third for the Giants, when he came up with the exact same idea which Avery later struck on: just as the pitch was about to be thrown, he started jumping up and down and waving his arms in an attempt to distract the batter. The umpires told him to cut that crap out. Naturally, he told them there was no rule regarding this, ignored them, and after a week of him doing it, the league finally officially made a rule prohibiting jumping around like an ass on the base paths.

Or, there was 1945, where he came up with an idea to score from third on pretty much any fly ball. Before the ball was caught, he positioned himself several feet behind third base and started running so that he perfectly timed tagging up and was already in a dead sprint. There was no rule against doing this, so as far as Stanky figured it, he was going to do it. The next thing you knew, a bunch of guys across the league were doing the same thing, so Major League Baseball closed that loophole after the season ended.

I've had a few old-as-dirt ballplayers for avatars since I was here: Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, and now Mathewson. Am I fan of Mathewson in particular? No, not really. I've always had a certain admiration for him as a pitcher and being a pretty laid back guy in a time where baseball players were a bit of a motley crew: college men, tough guys, rough guys, farm boys, city boys, etc. It was a really mixed crowd in those days, and a pretty rough game when he broke in.

Quit to serve in World War 1, was gassed by the German (just like my great grandfather was at Ypres) and made a sort of Strat-o-Matic baseball game while he laid up in the sanitarium. That's pretty cool. Doesn't receive the credit for it that Ring Lardner does, but while covering the 1918 World Series, openly called out the Chicago ballplayers in question regarding throwing the series.

He was an alright guy, so I guess I'm something of a fan.

Oh, and a hell of a pitcher, too.   ;)

Anything I know about him I learned from Ken Burns and Wikipedia but anyone who's passing make's John McGraw cry had to have been one hell of a person.

I missed the Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson avatars - I've read a lot about the ***** Leagues.  Some good stories there plus in their heyday one could argue the Pittsburgh was the epicenter with the Grays and Crawfords in town.

Sean Avery... Was the Eddie Stanky of the NHL. A clearly intelligent guy, but not liked because he was a straight jackass.

In 1950, Stanky was playing third for the Giants, when he came up with the exact same idea which Avery later struck on: just as the pitch was about to be thrown, he started jumping up and down and waving his arms in an attempt to distract the batter. The umpires told him to cut that crap out. Naturally, he told them there was no rule regarding this, ignored them, and after a week of him doing it, the league finally officially made a rule prohibiting jumping around like an ass on the base paths.

Or, there was 1945, where he came up with an idea to score from third on pretty much any fly ball. Before the ball was caught, he positioned himself several feet behind third base and started running so that he perfectly timed tagging up and was already in a dead sprint. There was no rule against doing this, so as far as Stanky figured it, he was going to do it. The next thing you knew, a bunch of guys across the league were doing the same thing, so Major League Baseball closed that loophole after the season ended.

I'm curious what makes you think he's particularly intelligent?

I'm curious what makes you think he's particularly intelligent?

Well, I said "clearly intelligent", not particularly. A niggling point, but a fair distinction to make, imo. It would probably have been more accurate to say that he comes across as being intelligent. With Avery, I saw a guy who thought outside the norms which hockey has established, even to the point of the NHL creating a rule so that nobody else would try what he did. Other than that, he's a guy who worked as an ad exec after retirement. He did the Vogue internship during the summer, when most players are happy to hang out at the cottage, and why? He thought it would be interesting. I'm not saying he's going to win a Nobel for curing cancer or anything like that, and I'm definitely not confusing intelligence for wisdom. There's little evidence of that as far as it goes with Avery.

Well, I said "clearly intelligent", not particularly. A niggling point, but a fair distinction to make, imo. It would probably have been more accurate to say that he comes across as being intelligent. With Avery, I saw a guy who thought outside the norms which hockey has established, even to the point of the NHL creating a rule so that nobody else would try what he did. Other than that, he's a guy who worked as an ad exec after retirement. He did the Vogue internship during the summer, when most players are happy to hang out at the cottage, and why? He thought it would be interesting. I'm not saying he's going to win a Nobel for curing cancer or anything like that, and I'm definitely not confusing intelligence for wisdom. There's little evidence of that as far as it goes with Avery.

I don't see how waving a stick in front of a players face is a sign of intelligence, let alone a clear or obvious one.

I think his interest in fashion is just that an interest. He was given those opportunities because of his celebrity status, not merit. Neither of these make him seem smart imo, just fortunate.