Why do they make it hard?

Jam1986

Man I know you can't play at top level all the time. But this is a playoff game just like the next six. Pick it up and now we can"t score! At least d has been ok and Mason and Emery good enough to keeps us in it. Come on boys

@Jam1986

I didn't see the game so I turned on Sportscenter when I had the chance and as soon as I saw the score I thought "Why do they make it so hard?"

It's like there are other teams competing for the same goal...

On the plus side, I was able to explain to the girlfriend what a "trap" game was.

Man I know you can't play at top level all the time. But this is a playoff game just like the next six. Pick it up and now we can"t score! At least d has been ok and Mason and Emery good enough to keeps us in it. Come on boys

Would it really be the Flyers if they didn't make it hard?

@radoran

That is quite the trap.

The good news is, we're almost through the hellish part of the sched. The bad news is, we've proven we can lose just as easily to the doormats as we can play with the big boys.

Columbus is no doormat. Their puck pursuit and pressure was relentless. They had someone on every Flyer immediately. And they also play a very aggressive PK.

Bob was excellent, and *of course* he would get a shutout against us. 

Flyers are not in the clear yet. 

@radoran

That is quite the trap.

The good news is, we're almost through the hellish part of the sched. The bad news is, we've proven we can lose just as easily to the doormats as we can play with the big boys.

Hellish, maybe, but there's still three tough games and three potential traps for them. You know BUF, FLA, CAR would all be quite happy to put a nice dent in the Flyers' run to the postseason.

And @BOS, @TAM, @PIT isn't exactly a bowl of cherries.

The team needs to "get up" for every game. If that's the lesson learned here, more power to them in the future. But "competing" against Boston and St. Louis (and losing) doesn't mean much if you can't beat Columbus in a Very important Game at home.

The good news is that the Flyers still have the tiebreaker in ROWs. That's the potential difference between the frying pan (visiting the Rags) and the fire (visiting Boston).

Columbus is no doormat. Their puck pursuit and pressure was relentless. They had someone on every Flyer immediately. And they also play a very aggressive PK.

If there's a team in the league that's not currently among the "elite" that teams put a target on, it's the Flyers.

Every team from now to the end will be "up" to play the Flyers - or at the very least that's the way the Flyers should see it.

Yes.  Ex-Flyers are required to score against Philadelphia.  And if they are goallies, then the mandatory shut out.

Shouldn't the reciprocal be that Voracek scores and Mason gets a shutout?

Oh, wait...

Totally agree about the trap game...   The one thing I noticed last night was another night of playing on the perimeter and they really did not make it hard on Bob.   Only need 6 points for a spot in the playoffs.   Let's hope there is another huge effort against Boston this weekend. 

Totally agree about the trap game...   The one thing I noticed last night was another night of playing on the perimeter and they really did not make it hard on Bob.   Only need 6 points for a spot in the playoffs.   Let's hope there is another huge effort against Boston this weekend. 

Barring a complete meltdown - or a mediocre finish and an undefeated run by Tronno or the like - they should make the playoffs.

But even having two games in hand on the Rags at this point they are four points behind and three ROWs behind for the tiebreaker.

CLS has CHI, NYI, PHX, @DAL, @TAM, @FLA.

Rags have OTT, CAR, BUF, @MON

• Like 1

I was in no way grouping Columbus in with the doormats. They can still catch us.

We've gone through most of the worst part of our schedule, one that I thought would be our death march, and came out of it pretty good. But if we take the Buffalos and Floridas as a sure 2 points, they'll be no points.

. But "competing" against Boston and St. Louis (and losing) doesn't mean much if you can't beat Columbus in a Very important Game at home.

Every team from now to the end will be "up" to play the Flyers - or at the very least that's the way the Flyers should see it.

Absolutely. It doesn't do you a whole lot of good to prove you can play with Boston and St' Louis, and then lose to a team you are battling with for a playoff spot. Same with the Rangers game.

Yes.  Ex-Flyers are required to score against Philadelphia.  And if they are goallies, then the mandatory shut out.

I was thinking this when I saw the shutout. If it isn't Mez or JVR, heck it seems anyone who leaves does this.

Is John LeClair the last Flyer who would wreak vengeance upon his ex-teammates or what? Briere maybe?

My observation from this little run is that the Flyers struggle the most against teams that play a tight checking game against them.  In the games we lost to NJ, LA, and CBJ especially all of our guys were smothered most of the game and they just had few to no answers to it.  (I was on a business trip during the STL and didn't see a second of it so I cannot comment on that one.)

The Flyers have played some great games the past few weeks, but having said that they still lack maturity and leadership. This is exactly where they are in terms of talent in the league as well. Seems they have been in this scenario the past several seasons. You would think they would learn from past mistakes and play hard in October. The last 5 minutes in St Louis Tuesday is the Flyers in a nutshell. 2 man advantage for a minute and a half, not a single shot on goal. With a minute left Giroux takes a really selfish penalty after Backus dominates him for a shift. They managed to get a point but really should have had 2. Then they come home to play Columbus and play a soft perimiter game. Somebody has to step up in the locker room and make everybody accountable. It is going to be tough for them to make the playoffs, and it won't be the last week of the season that determines it. They have had 6 months to get to a comfort zone this season, and their entire hockey careers to realize the game is 60 minutes, not 55. I hope they make it, because drafting 15th won't get you a blue chipper.

The Flyers have played some great games the past few weeks, but having said that they still lack maturity and leadership. This is exactly where they are in terms of talent in the league as well. Seems they have been in this scenario the past several seasons. You would think they would learn from past mistakes and play hard in October. The last 5 minutes in St Louis Tuesday is the Flyers in a nutshell. 2 man advantage for a minute and a half, not a single shot on goal. With a minute left Giroux takes a really selfish penalty after Backus dominates him for a shift. They managed to get a point but really should have had 2. Then they come home to play Columbus and play a soft perimiter game. Somebody has to step up in the locker room and make everybody accountable. It is going to be tough for them to make the playoffs, and it won't be the last week of the season that determines it. They have had 6 months to get to a comfort zone this season, and their entire hockey careers to realize the game is 60 minutes, not 55. I hope they make it, because drafting 15th won't get you a blue chipper.

Huh?

Say what you want bu G has been the best player in the league since the Olympic break.  I am not sure how anyone can say, at this point, they have leadership issues as well.  I think G has made a huge step forward as a Captain this year and frankly put this Team on his back.  You are talking about one game in the last how many that they actually did not play well and someone needs to stand up and hold people accountable in the locker room.  Sorry but this game really is not the game to do that...   it was a trap game.  Should they have played better?  Absolutely, but I think you are making mountains out fo mole hills here...

They are still in a position to get into the playoffs and w/out an absolute collapse they will lock up a spot.  What they do in the playoffs is another story...  to question the leadership of this Team after their start is pretty petty IMO.  No offense intended but this Team has been playing damn good hockey for some time...

• Like 1

the Flyers struggle the most against teams that play a tight checking game against them.

and I wonder why because it seems like those games - the ones you mentioned - the Flyers didn't give their best. 0-6 on the PP against the Devils, trying to be too perfect, whatever... The Flyers let the Kings dictate play for 2 periods - Vinny hits 3 sides of iron on (what should've been) a gimme... It's like those games bring out the worst in the Flyers...but maybe because the Flyers - for one reason or another - let them?

Take last night. Can anyone say the Flyers "left it all on the ice" (pick your fav cliché)? Not really. An obvious example: Bob was ripe to get beat down low the whole night. The way he comes out so far to challenge the shot - but we rarely get more than 1 player in his face to fight for rebounds. Defensively we were good enough but the offense was nowhere, just too soft.

I think maybe the same sort of thing applies when we play the Rangers at MSG. The Rangers aren't exactly a tight-checking team anymore but those games in NYC we let them carry the play and then wonder why it's so hard to get a win. Maybe it doesn't matter why - the W or the L is what counts. But it gives me hope to think with a better effort, more discipline in sticking to their game the Flyers can beat these teams.

Huh?

Say what you want bu G has been the best player in the league since the Olympic break.  I am not sure how anyone can say, at this point, they have leadership issues as well.  I think G has made a huge step forward as a Captain this year and frankly put this Team on his back.  You are talking about one game in the last how many that they actually did not play well and someone needs to stand up and hold people accountable in the locker room.  Sorry but this game really is not the game to do that...   it was a trap game.  Should they have played better?  Absolutely, but I think you are making mountains out fo mole hills here...

They are still in a position to get into the playoffs and w/out an absolute collapse they will lock up a spot.  What they do in the playoffs is another story...  to question the leadership of this Team after their start is pretty petty IMO.  No offense intended but this Team has been playing damn good hockey for some time...

this.

I read that post from @flyer4ever and really disagreed also.

The CBJ style and speed has given the Flyers problems this year, they are a bad match up for our team.  

There is plenty of character and the leadership is fine, the problem the last two games has been finishing , they put nearly 40 shots on Bob and he made some really good saves, there was traffic in front of him but the bounces had the puck hopping over sticks instead of on them .  They put 30+ on MIller and had a lot of quality chances in the first, period and played well enough to beat St Louis.

That is the kind of stuff that tends to even out , so either our guys have gotten some breaks and this is payback or they'll be getting some puck luck soon.

They haven't been loafing, they haven't been taking bad penalties , I didn't see the G penalty vs StLouis so i'll take flyer4ever"s word.  I don't think there is a leadership problem on this team.  

• Like 1