1-4-2

brelic

That's the Flyers record in the last 7 games. 

That's 4 points of a possible 14. They've scored just 12 goals and allowed 18.

There were good stretches in the Boston game today, but man, the Bruins are a solid team top to bottom. They just swarmed the Flyers, and the talent gap between the two teams was on full display. So many odd man rushes. The Bruins outshot the Flyers 22-8 in the 3rd period!! Amazing team. I'm not sure anyone in the East can beat them over 7 games.

Let's just hope they get this slump out of their system now, and find their mojo in time for the playoffs!

@brelic

Lets hope they start winning some of the remaining games otherwise they could find themselves on the outside looking in, Columbus is 2 points behind them for 3rd in the division and New Jersey is 5 points back. As long as they match Columbus over the remaining  5 games then they'll end up playing the Rangers in the first round, if Columbus gets past them they could easily end up playing the Bruins which they don't want.

@brelic

Lets hope they start winning some of the remaining games otherwise they could find themselves on the outside looking in, Columbus is 2 points behind them for 3rd in the division and New Jersey is 5 points back. As long as they match Columbus over the remaining  5 games then they'll end up playing the Rangers in the first round, if Columbus gets past them they could easily end up playing the Bruins which they don't want.

They peaked too early :) 

They did have a tough schedule, and played really well. If they hadn't, I think they'd be on the outside looking in right now. The Leafs are only 3 points behind, so the Flyers could be bumped from the playoffs altogether if they don't wake up. Chances are overwhelming that they will make the playoffs, but it would be good for the team to enter on a high note and feeling good about themselves.

They peaked too early :)

Even though you put a smiley at the end, I actually think - and fear - this is true.  It really starts looking to me like in their final push for the playoff spot, they got burnt out. 

Believe it or not, I don't think the talent gap between them and the Bruins is really that wide.  It was not really evident the last time these two teams met.  In fact, I thought in that game the Flyers actually dominated in many stretches of the game, which was supported by the stats.  Yes, the defense continues making some mistakes, but overall, I think the lack of talent is really not that glaring as some people make it sound to be. THey played fine with the cream of the league - Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh and, yes, the Bruins. 

I honestly think they are just plain tired.  And if that's the case, I hope they will get their legs back by the time the playoffs begin.

• Like 1

1-4-2...Their record since Downie went out with an unspecified UBI.....Coincidence? Unlike many others here, I think Downie's board play and puck handling skills make him an effective 3rd liner even with the boneheaded penalties he sometimes takes. Like it or not, he makes the Flyers a better team when he is on the ice regardless of the hate he gets.

@brelic

I think the end result is someone is going to have to beat the Bruins to make the Cup anyways.

Big problem as I see it is the Flyers have ONE star surrounded by a group of supporting actors. Good players, but not stars. Just comparing them to teams like Boston and St. Louis.

I agree about the Flyers. There is Giroux, and then there is everyone else.

But I don't agree in the case of the Bruins. They have Chara and Rask. There are no other stars on that team. There are some pretty darn good players, but no stars. They complement each other very well - strong hitters, snipers, playmakers, grinders. 

As has been discussed in other threads, I think the Flyers just need more time. Give them a few years, and their forward corps could very well look like the Bruins - swarming, precise, working in tandem. We see that with the Flyers in many games, but they just need more time and experience to apply it consistently. 

The most glaring thing today and in the Columbus game, for me, is the sheer number of times we turn over the puck - many times while under pressure, but way too often we just give it away. Poor passing, low percentage plays, bad clearing attempts, dump and chase, etc. 

• Like 1

The other curious thing was starting the backup goaltender, Emery. Don't get me wrong - Emery was solid and the primary reason this game was still up for grabs until the last 6 minutes. 

But this was an important game coming after the loss to Columbus. And the Flyers play the Sabres tomorrow night. Isn't that the perfect game to start your backup?

If I had to take a guess as to Berube's thinking, it seems like he wants to get a real read on Emery as a viable option in the playoffs by playing him against top opponents down the stretch. The Blues and Bruins are the kinds of games you put your starter in, not the backup. If Mason has a meltdown, this tactic gives both Emery and Berube confidence that that team will get quality goaltending with either goalie.

Anyone else find that strange?

Big problem as I see it is the Flyers have ONE star surrounded by a group of supporting actors. Good players, but not stars. Just comparing them to teams like Boston and St. Louis.

PuckMeister:

I concur with your assessment. And I am beginning to wonder if your poor shootout record reflects the type of players we recruit/draft/trade-for. Yes, they may have grit. And yes, we have balanced scoring.  But deep down this is just your Grandfather's Flyers squad--tough but relatively under-skilled. The defense today reminded me of our victory at Midway over the Japanese. Five minutes made the difference. Our D was too slow.  The third broke our back. Rosehill scoring seemed strange but the guy showed more skill than Vinny does most of the time.

Peace, and I hope the season isn't unraveling before our eyes.

Howie

Who's Bostons star? Or St. Louis'?

I think this really highlights the dire need for a sniper. A finisher without defensive liability is exactly what is missing in these otherwise close games.

The talent gap is really small, but I really think that's it.

While I like Simmonds, he has no business being the leading goal scorer on this team.

@doom88

Top line LWer and a true #1 D.

As happy as I am for the run we've been on, this draft is loaded with LWers in the top 15 picks.

We will need a #1 D, but let's not sell the old viking out. Timonen has filled that role admirably for years, including this season. Even with his rough start, he counts. Sure, he's no where near 25, but he gets the job done most nights.

That's not the glaring gap in my opinion. Heck, two #2s that compliment each other (read: chemistry) play well enough to mitigate a true #1.

You can't make up for a forward crop with no finishers.

I honestly think they are just plain tired.

That's what it looks like to me too. They've been one of the best 3rd-period teams in the NHL -them and Boston- but yesterday it was obvious they had nothing left for the 3rd. For 40 mins they went toe-to-toe with one of the best teams in the league. Two weeks ago they would've kept up the momentum from Rosehill's goal late in the 2nd, came out and matched Boston's intensity in the 3rd, maybe even pulled out a win. Yesterday they just didn't have the legs to compete. 22 shots against in 20 minutes? Yeah that's a tired team.

The Flyers proved they can hang with the best teams in the league. Trouble is they burned themselves out doing it. Can they re-energize themselves in time for the POs? We'll see.

But deep down this is just your Grandfather's Flyers squad--tough but relatively under-skilled.

Sorry, Howie, but I am going to ask to substantiate your statement before accepting it at its face value. Please define skills to me...

As of today, they have five 20+ goal scorers. B Schenn and VLC each have 18 goals. Boston has four 20+ scorers. So does Chicago.  St Louis Blues (the second best team in the league) has TJ Oshie, Backes and Steen who score well, but are these players really what you call stars?

I didn't mean to single your post out, but people can't just make these blanket statements. I don't know exactly what more the Flyers fans can want from this roster skill-wise. If you tell me they have underachieved, sure... I won't disagree. It’s quite obvious from this regular season record.  But I disagree it's due to the lack of talent. The days of talent-packed Montreal Canadians and Edmonton Oilers are long gone. How much raw talent or skill did the Devils of the 2000's have?  How much talent the Dallas Stars have when they won the Cup? These days you win with great goaltending, solid defense, determination and commitment. It is debatable the Flyers have *that*.  But they do have skills.

To all:

Boston stars: Lucic,Krejci,Ericksson, and Bergeron plus Chara and Rask. I don't think we have the same talent as these guys.

Blues stars: Backes,Oshie,Steen. Not as loaded as Boston but play well with and without the puck.

Tampa stars: Stamkos, Purcell,Filppula and Bishop. SPEED.

I have a feeling that Emory started against Boston 'cause maybe Mason's confidence is failing a little. If he got blown out by the Bruins, what would that mean if/when we face them in the POs? Perhaps we play solid against Buffalo and he gains confidence. Just my opinion.

Sorry, Howie, but I am going to ask to substantiate your statement before accepting it at its face value. Please define skills to me...

As of today, they have five 20+ goal scorers. B Schenn and VLC each have 18 goals. Boston has four 20+ scorers. So does Chicago.  St Louis Blues (the second best team in the league) has TJ Oshie, Backes and Steen who score well, but are these players really what you call stars?

I didn't mean to single your post out, but people can't just make these blanket statements. I don't know exactly what more the Flyers fans can want from this roster skill-wise. If you tell me they have underachieved, sure... I won't disagree. It’s quite obvious from this regular season record.  But I disagree it's due to the lack of talent. The days of talent-packed Montreal Canadians and Edmonton Oilers are long gone. How much raw talent or skill did the Devils of the 2000's have?  How much talent the Dallas Stars have when they won the Cup? These days you win with great goaltending, solid defense, determination and commitment. It is debatable the Flyers have *that*.  But they do have skills.

MAD:

I am not saying we are unskilled. But it isn't clear to me that "balanced" scoring is the same as having three players who can break a game. I also said that our poor performance--well below the league average--in the shootout, makes me wonder about the "sniper" ability of our scorers I am not knocking Wayne Simmonds--he has a great work ethic and grit. But his goals are mostly "garbage."  Yes, they count as much as a laser from the point but yesterday's win was a reminder of how bang-bang skill over three minutes can break a game open. 

As for talent--let's see a goalie in the top 10 in save percentage. Let's see another player in the top 10 in scoring.  And let's see a team that is in the top 10 in goals against. 

I am not saying we are without talent. And I think there is grit.  But when I read the players' post mortems in Philly.com you would think this is simply a matter of not playing the system for 60 minutes. That may be true in part. But I think we have seen our team lose to teams that have higher overall levels of talent.  And that may start in goal--I think Emery and Mason had nothing to be ashamed of. But Miller and Rask may be elite, while MASEM may be above-average.

Peace,

Howie

But I think we have seen our team lose to teams that have higher overall levels of talent.  And that may start in goal--I think Emery and Mason had nothing to be ashamed of. But Miller and Rask may be elite, while MASEM may be above-average.

I am still confused.  Did the Flyers not beat Pittsburgh, Chicago, St. Louis, and lost to Boston only by virtue of shootouts... the game, in which, by the way, they overperformed the Bruins.

I agree that Mason is not elite. And as I mentioned in my previous post to you, in the playoffs goaltending is absolutely a big - maybe the biggest - key to success.  I also conceded that the defense has some holes to fill.  The Flyers don't have  a player of Chara's or Duncan Keith's caliber.  But offensively, I simply don't see their talent level being inferior to the other teams.  Sorry...

To all:

Boston stars: Lucic,Krejci,Ericksson, and Bergeron plus Chara and Rask. I don't think we have the same talent as these guys.

Blues stars: Backes,Oshie,Steen. Not as loaded as Boston but play well with and without the puck.

I have a feeling that Emory started against Boston 'cause maybe Mason's confidence is failing a little. If he got blown out by the Bruins, what would that mean if/when we face them in the POs? Perhaps we play solid against Buffalo and he gains confidence. Just my opinion.

Boston:  I will give you Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, and Rask.   Lucic is borderline and if you consider him a star then so is Wayne Simmonds for the Flyers because they are both power forwards that have put up similar numbers.  Erikkson has battled injuries but he's been a disappointment in Boston.   A star prior to Boston but certainly not putting up star numbers. 

Blues:  Steen is not a star.   He's having a star year but this is the first year he's broke 30 goals.   Last year he only had 8 goals in 40 games.  

Tampa:  Teddy Pucell is definitely not a star.  Val Filppula is borderline.   Jake Voracek has put up similar numbers to Filppula this year so by your definition I guess that makes Voracek a star.   Not to mention Jake is only 24 years old.   

Edited by PhilsFanDrew

To all:

The grass is always greener...

Giroux 369 pts in 411 games

Krecji   375 in 502

Backes 357 in 567

Hartnell 535 in 949

Lucic has 297 in 482

Oshie - REALLY? One Olympic shootout resulting in no medal does not a career make. He scored 20 g for the first time in his career this year. And people are knocking 22 year old Brayden Schenn. If Oshie played for Philly he'd be ridiculed on a daily basis.

Bergeron hit 31 g his 2nd year in Boston and hasn't been close since until this year. Great player, but would also be ridiculed for his lack of production by Flyer fans. Take those two season out and he's got 3-22g seasons and the rest in the teens and single digits. (cough Brayden Schenn cough)

Alex Steen - LMAO! In 8 seasons prior to this one he had Brayden Schenns stats. Except he wasn't 22 every year.

Chara and Stamkos I'll give you. Rask is an excellent goalie who benefits from Bostons system. See their backups stats.

Seriously...   TJ Oshie and Alex Steen...  Really?  I'll take Voracek alone over them any day of the week seven days a week.  People also keep forgetting that in Hitch's system, the true value and contribution of a player is significantly skewed.  Hitch is well known for making players maximize their potential.  He may be the best in business in that regard.  I am willing to bet on just about ANY OTHER TEAM, Alex Steen will be lost and, as FC noted, he *was* lost prior to ending up in St. Louis.

Boston players, specifically Krejci, Bergeron and Lucic are very, very good players.  But no way in terms of talent they are superior to Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, and Schenn. What Boston does have that the Flyers don't is better goaltending and defense.  So does St. Louis, especially with adding Miller.  But I content offensively, these teams are not more skilled thatn the Flyers.  No friggin' way.

I'd trade for Bergeron any day of the week and give up any Flyer except Giroux for him. You wouldn't? You'd take Simmonds or Voracek over Patrice Bergeron?

and Oshie may not be a "star" (he's not) but he does one thing awfully well...and something the Flyers could *really* use. How many points have we left on the table because of that stupid SO? The Flyers are by far the worst SSO team since the SSO began. I'm not saying let's trade for the guy, just that Oshie does have a big role on that team.

and Oshie may not be a "star" (he's not) but he does one thing awfully well...and something the Flyers could *really* use. How many points have we left on the table because of that stupid SO? The Flyers are by far the worst SSO team since the SSO began. I'm not saying let's trade for the guy, just that Oshie does have a big role on that team.

Come on man...you knock Schenn who just hit 20 g at the ripe old age of 22, but think Oshie is something whose career high is 21 at 27 years old, because he's great at a gimmick? Really? Maybe Schenn is better at juggling?