MacDonald has been Re-signed

Market value is based on what else is available at the time and the total salary cap. A better comparison against different years would be to look at the percentage of cap space used each year

Simply put, if the cap was a billion USD, no one would care about 5m.

The #Flyers have signed D Andrew MacDonald to multi-year contract extension

Flyers have re-signed Andrew MacDonald

Retweeted by Tim Panaccio

MacDonald’s deal is six years $30 million.

AGAIN Holmgren out does himself with stupidity. 6 years, 5 million per for a guy who's OK. Not a top 2 guy and he gets that contract. I'm schocked that i'm not surprised at such stupidity from the GM

By way of comparison, Matt Carle scored 35, 40 and 38 points for the Flyers in the three years before the organization balked at giving him, what? $5.5M (or less before the FA market)

I always like doing this just to try and keep things in perspective: 

http://www.capgeek.com/comparables/?player_id=1110&year_id=2014

Do a sort by age and then look at length. 

I don't think its fair to compare a Carle to a MacDonald. MacDonald has a much better sense in the d-zone and makes smart break out plays. He will never be a 30 point guy, but his hits (while not bruising, still there) and his blocks balance out what a Carle brings you. I think its about 250k too much, but I am okay with that. Look at the list of others there with 6 years that are at, slightly below, or slightly higher. 

Too much for too long. I like the player, but $5M for 6 is just too much.

By way of comparison, Matt Carle scored 35, 40 and 38 points for the Flyers in the three years before the organization balked at giving him, what? $5.5M (or less before the FA market)

Just for the record, that's more points than MacDonald has in his career.

Four points in 19 games, -3 for the Flyers. 24 points in 63 games for the Islanders, -19.

$5M

Heckuvajob Homer

Agreed, but I prefer his all-around game to Carle's. He's still overpaid, but Carle without Pronger was not pretty in his own end. MacDonald, while overpaid, doesn't need anyone to look like a decent player.

Agreed, but I prefer his all-around game to Carle's. He's still overpaid, but Carle without Pronger was not pretty in his own end. MacDonald, while overpaid, doesn't need anyone to look like a decent player.

There is an added element to this that IMO should not be overlooked. While not the Flyers fault, MacDonald has played pro hockey for 7 years at an average of 490K a year. While most of us would be jubilant and certainly MacD's agent(s) should be fired, that is grossly underpaid for a guy playing 12-20min of NHL hockey a night. My point is that he needed to be made whole. 

So, the flyers throw 3M more at him for the term of the contract than he is probably worth (at max). He is happy and now set for life. I looked at the comparables and am hard press to see one or two out of 8-10 that I would want (same age, same term). 

I don't think its fair to compare a Carle to a MacDonald. MacDonald has a much better sense in the d-zone and makes smart break out plays. He will never be a 30 point guy, but his hits (while not bruising, still there) and his blocks balance out what a Carle brings you.

Yes very goo d points.

Again not saying it was the deal i wanted i agree with a 4.5 mill cap....but his skill set is different than Carle's he just lead the NHL this year in blocks pretty good for a guy of his stature.

But it Homer and he had to over pay so he did give up all he did for a rental.

Not oking all of it but i understand it.

There is an added element to this that IMO should not be overlooked. While not the Flyers fault, MacDonald has played pro hockey for 7 years at an average of 490K a year. While most of us would be jubilant and certainly MacD's agent(s) should be fired, that is grossly underpaid for a guy playing 12-20min of NHL hockey a night. My point is that he needed to be made whole. 

So, the flyers throw 3M more at him for the term of the contract than he is probably worth (at max). He is happy and now set for life. I looked at the comparables and am hard press to see one or two out of 8-10 that I would want (same age, same term). 

I'm glad the Flyers are "making whole" the Islanders' investment in the player...???

He was being paid at that level because that's what he was producing at that level.

The Flyers are paying $5M per for the next six years to a guy who's primary statistical talent is shot blocking.

Again - I like the player - but I expect within three years to be hearing "why are we paying MacDonald $5M?" - from people who are happy as heck he'll be on the squad nextyear.

It's called "Brer Itis"

Do a sort by age and then look at length.

yeah, I did that and compared him to Yandle. It doesn't come out favorably.

And to Jason Garrison, and found him still wanting.

So let's add Alex Edler to the mix - Five consecutive 30+ point seasons, two 40-point seasons. His -39 this year is egregious, I grant you. This is clearly a down year for All Things Canucks.

Goligoski, five-time 30+ point player.

In fact, is there anyone making $5M as a defenceman in this league who hasn't hit 30 points at least once in his career?

What am I missing?

But it Homer and he had to over pay so he did give up all he did for a rental.

Not oking all of it but i understand it.

I completely "understand" it. Homer gave up assets and had to overpay in order to justify the expense of giving up the picks to acquire the player for this playoff run.

Overpay for the next six years.

I LIKE THE PLAYER. Hate the deal.

• Like 2

I'm glad the Flyers are "making whole" the Islanders' investment in the player...???

He was being paid at that level because that's what he was producing at that level.

The Flyers are paying $5M per for the next six years to a guy who's primary statistical talent is shot blocking.

Again - I like the player - but I expect within three years to be hearing "why are we paying MacDonald $5M?" - from people who are happy as heck he'll be on the squad nextyear.

It's called "Brer Itis"

yeah, I did that and compared him to Yandle. It doesn't come out favorably.

And to Jason Garrison, and found him still wanting.

So let's add Alex Edler to the mix - Five consecutive 30+ point seasons, two 40-point seasons. His -39 this year is egregious, I grant you. This is clearly a down year for All Things Canucks.

Goligoski, five-time 30+ point player.

In fact, is there anyone making $5M as a defenceman in this league who hasn't hit 30 points at least once in his career?

What am I missing?

I completely "understand" it. Homer gave up assets and had to overpay in order to justify the expense of giving up the picks to acquire the player for this playoff run.

Excellent post rad.

Holmgren has made some nice signings...Simmonds, Girouxs current contract (the one ending) heck I'll throw in Read, Voracek and Couturiers as decent. But i really wish they'd hire someone who would hand out contracts for what players are doing as opposed to what they did somewhere else or what you hope they do.

“Because of Andrew’s age, we didn’t mind six years,” general manager Paul Holmgren said. “We talked a lot of different scenarios, even longer than six.”

A quote from Homie!!!!!!!!!

Excellent post rad.

Holmgren has made some nice signings...Simmonds, Girouxs current contract (the one ending) heck I'll throw in Read, Voracek and Couturiers as decent. But i really wish they'd hire someone who would hand out contracts for what players are doing as opposed to what they did somewhere else or what you hope they do.

What is fair money for a 21+min, league leading shot blocking defenseman? 

I guess I see your point. But doesn't playing 21 minutes a night count for something other than points? 

Sure, it counts for about $4-4.5M

Again - what am I missing? Happy to learn - seriously happy to learn.

One of the "haves" in the NHL has just - again - needlessly increased the overall average salary for players in the league.

EVERY 27-year-old who has hit 28 points and once also hit 27 at some point in their career now has an arbitration argument for a $5M paycheck.

Quite frankly, I think that's ridiculous.

What is fair money for a 21+min, league leading shot blocking defenseman? 

Chris Butler - second in the league in blocks this season - 20:15 TOI, 28 yo

$1.7M

• Like 1

@Vanflyer

As mentioned...in the 4-4.5 range. We talked about this for the last month . It's not a huge overpayment. But when you overpay 6 or 7 players by that amount it means you're plugging in an NHL minimum player where you could have a 4 or 5 million guy.

Chris Butler - second in the league in blocks this season - 20:15 TOI, 28 yo

$1.7M

I suppose. But then there is Timmo at 6M and Mesz at 2 million. We can sign Mesz again and trade Macdaddy for a center. :-P

Seriously, 500k too much for sure.  I don't mind the term because there is not a NTC / NMC. He kind of reminds me of a younger smith. 5M worth, no. But the 500k is not going to bust my balls. 

And...

Kris Russell. Turns 27 on May 2. 29 points, -11 this year. Third in the league in blocked shots. Has three 20+ point seasons in addition.

Played 23 minutes a game.

Just re-signed for $2.6M.

True story.

• Like 1

As mentioned...in the 4-4.5 range. We talked about this for the last month . It's not a huge overpayment. But when you overpay 6 or 7 players by that amount it means you're plugging in an NHL minimum player where you could have a 4 or 5 million guy.

You mean like VLC and Grossman?? Both of whom I expect gone this offseason. Get Timmo back for his swan song at 3-3.5, maybe Mesz to replace Grossman. Then just need a winger or two (plus a back up goalie). All the cash is square with some to spare. 

And...

Kris Russell. Turns 27 on May 2. 29 points, -11 this year. Third in the league in blocked shots. Has three 20+ point seasons in addition.

Played 23 minutes a game.

Just re-signed for $2.6M.

True story.

I am impressed at your diligence to make a point. Fair enough. 4-4.250 is his market. Those other suckers under sold! ha ha 

I am impressed at your diligence to make a point. Fair enough. 4-4.250 is his market. Those other suckers under sold! ha ha 

Well, you asked a specific question and, quite frankly, I was just trying to answer it as best I could. In part, so that I was gaining additional information for myself.

I am quite capable of being wrong. Have been. Will be. Could have been here.

Searched Yahoo! Stats for blocked shots, capgeek for the salary numbers, nhl.com for TOI. I just looked at the next two shot blockers on the list. Turns out Calgary had both of them. As it happens, almost exactly the same age as MacDonald.

One just re-signed for $2.6. The other was just handed a reasonable argument to be paid nearly double that. And Butler - that guy - was the #2 total TOI for the Flames this season.

No small part of my concern has nothing really directly to do with the Flyers, but the game in general. I've/We've/They've lost a season and a half of hockey in the past decade because "salaries are spiraling out of control and owners need the players to force them to be fiscally responsible."

And then an owner signs a 21-minute, shot blocking defenseman for $5M.

The Flyers have enough money to pay a guy for the next 14 years to not play for them as well as guys to not coach them for a few years. Calgary? Maybe not so much?

No small part of my concern has nothing really directly to do with the Flyers, but the game in general. I've/We've/They've lost a season and a half of hockey in the past decade because "salaries are spiraling out of control and owners need the players to force them to be fiscally responsible."

I was reading the tea leaves you were laying down (so to speak). Particularly seeing Trotz walk away (which is in complete reference to what you are referring to). 

14 of the qualifying teams are within a  gap of 10%  (scalable) of the highest spending team (roughly 7M). The number one spending team is Pitts at 69.6M. 

The two teams that fall outside of this range are Dallas at 61M and Colorado at 52M (thus why I am rooting for Colorado). 

The economics of NHL hockey are more than just salaries. I get your point, but lets be realistic. A team like Nashville suffers because while they have fan support, they don't have corporate support. Does it suck for a team like Nasville to see a team like the flyers be able to blow .500k extra on a contract? Sure. But the cap puts boundaries in play for all teams and the revenue sharing helps the have nots. 

Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary are in the bottom 5 spending teams in the league. Fiscally responsible? I think not as all teams are not earning the gate / other revenue for even a single series in the playoffs. Vancouver big spender. Toronto mammoth spender. All golfing. 

The point being is its not how much you spend, its how / where you choose to spend it and what the ROI is to both the community / fan base, and the bottom line. 

• Like 1