Seabrook hit

ruxpin

I'm sorry, I disagree with Millbury and his hand puppet again.

I liked the Seabrook hit. I realize the puck was gone, but I don't think Seabrook knew it and Backes acted like he still had it.

Principle point was the head, but he was low, there was no launch, and Backes turned into it.

I hate that we're taking THAT hit out of the game. No call until after the fact. I don't like the call and I don't like any supplemental here.

I liked the Seabrook hit. I realize the puck was gone, but I don't think Seabrook knew it and Backes acted like he still had it.

Principle point was the head, but he was low, there was no launch, and Backes turned into it.

I hate that we're taking THAT hit out of the game. No call until after the fact. I don't like the call and I don't like any supplemental here.

Great hit. Backes has accountability and responsibility there. He jumbled the puck- his fault, but he has to know where he is and be responsible to protect himself. 

Personally, I think just a few years ago, this hit would be considered clean clean clean.

I already posted about it in the blues vs Hawks thread.

But headshots being no no's today.....

But headshots being no no's today.....

**** that. I don't have a dog in this fight for the series, but I am just pissed that this kind of play is no longer considered a good hockey play (which it was). I don't want to see Backes hurt and I don't think Seabrook did either. BUT, Backes was irresponsible coming out behind his net and staring at his feet. I would nail him (or any player) that did that play. Particularly a playoff game. 

It sucks that it might cost Chi the game. 

Edited by Vanflyer

I disagree rux, this looks like a headshot and it looks as if Seabrook left his feet to deliver the hit.  

http://youtu.be/mSNtMDkRjBA

Still had one foot on the ice. It only counts as leaving your feet if both feet leave the ice before contact right?

I think Backes had his head down and it was a clean hit 5 years ago.

That is a clean hit IF he stayed low and went shoulder to chest. Watch the hit from the side view and you will see how he rises up as he is making contact and is nothing but shoulder to head. Head contact we as Flyers fans know means suspension.

I think both feet are on the ice at impact, but definitely one. Completely with @Vanflyer on this one.

Millbury is going on about it again and, with no surprise, I don't agree with a thing he's saying.

In only slightly related news, the next time Keith Jones has an independent thought will be the first time.

That is a clean hit IF he stayed low and went shoulder to chest. Watch the hit from the side view and you will see how he rises up as he is making contact and is nothing but shoulder to head. Head contact we as Flyers fans know means suspension.

Backes was all bent over. How low is Seabrook supposed to be? The only way he gets lower is to put an 87 on and get on his knees.

I don't like it.  To me, it's up to the player doing the hitting to make sure it's clean.  He didn't have the puck anymore and seabrooke hit him in the head.  

I don't care about 5 years ago.  It's against the rules now and he should be punished.

I always ask myself "Would I have a problem if Giroux was hit like that"... and I def. would.

• Like 1

Backes was all bent over. How low is Seabrook supposed to be? The only way he gets lower is to put an 87 on and get on his knees.

Now you are just being contrary. If his knees are bent 5 degrees that is a shoulder to chest highlight film hit. I like the hit if he does not launch himself up through the head of Backes but that is what he did.

The problem FR is that we get to watch the reply in milliseconds. The play happened at full speed. Good hit and shame on backes (whom I really like as a player) for not protecting himself (particularly in a playoff game that was slipping away). I will say the same thing for the Lindros-Stevens hit (while I think that was a dirty hit by stevens), Lindros was completely irresponsible for not protecting himself. 

The problem FR is that we get to watch the reply in milliseconds. The play happened at full speed. Good hit and shame on backes (whom I really like as a player) for not protecting himself (particularly in a playoff game that was slipping away). I will say the same thing for the Lindros-Stevens hit (while I think that was a dirty hit by stevens), Lindros was completely irresponsible for not protecting himself. 

Completely agree.  Not just that hit, but most of the damning hits on him.   "The Next One" never learned to skate without his eyes glued to the puck.  Mommy should have taught him better.

• Like 1

I agree that Backes should be more responsible for protecting his head but that does not give Seabrook the right to try and separate it from his shoulders. I am glad they made the correct call, even if it was not made right away. I would have liked to see Lucic get suspended too for being the "ballslayer" but they totally blew that call or non-call as it were.....

• Like 1

@Vanflyer

@flyerrod

@ruxpin

@J0e Th0rnton

@hf101

IMO...it "appears" that Seabrook did not leave his feet. I stopped the video @ 1:21 of the video that HF posted. Backes is actually bent at the knees, while Seabrook is leaning into the hit he is about deliver. Seabrooks right foot is still on the ice. His left foot looks like it is still on the ice..maybe lifted slightly....It appears that Seabrooks shoulder is headed directly to Backes head. Only because Backes is bent over. Bone crushing hit...yes. Head shot by defitnition ....yes.....did ne leave his feet ..I don't think so.

• Like 1

I always ask myself "Would I have a problem if Giroux was hit like that"... and I def. would.

I wouldn't. Seriously, I really would not. Would I be bummed, sure. This kind of shite did not happen in the 70's / 80's. Do you know why? Because the league was not pussified to take accountability / responsibility from the players. I could go on a rant and start with the instigator rule as problematic to the allot of the problems today. I could put on my best don cherry suit and start talking about the "armor" that the players were these days. 

At the end of the day, in a playoff game in any professional league (not talking about pee wees), I make that hit every day of the week. But thats me. 

I like the hit if he does not launch himself up through the head of Backes but that is what he did.

I don't see this "launch."  Completely disagree with the assessment.  Not being contrary, just not at all what I see.

At full speed, the hit is a thing of beauty.  I have no dog in this fight, really.  Tired of seeing Chicago win and (like I said in shout) don't want to see a happy golfer...or Applebees patron.  Plus, the Blues don't otherwise inspire ANY emotion to me.  They could close down that franchise tomorrow and I'm not sure I'd notice the difference.  So, this isn't out of any colored lenses (I'm not implying yours are either) but I see a really nice hit.

Completely agree.  Not just that hit, but most of the damning hits on him.   "The Next One" never learned to skate without his eyes glued to the puck.  Mommy should have taught him better.

funny ..I just made the exact comparison in the shoutbox......

IMO...it "appears" that Seabrook did not leave his feet. I stopped the video @ 1:21 of the video that HF posted. Backes is actually bent at the knees, while Seabrook is leaning into the hit he is about deliver. Seabrooks right foot is still on the ice. His left foot looks like it is still on the ice..maybe lifted slightly....It appears that Seabrooks shoulder is headed directly to Backes head. Only because Backes is bent over. Bone crushing hit...yes. Head shot by defitnition ....yes.....did ne leave his feet ..I don't think so.

Agree with all of that.

I agree that Backes should be more responsible for protecting his head but that does not give Seabrook the right to try and separate it from his shoulders. I am glad they made the correct call, even if it was not made right away. I would have liked to see Lucic get suspended too for being the "ballslayer" but they totally blew that call or non-call as it were.....

Again, I don't think Seabrook had any malicious intent there. It has NEVER been part of his game. You are over exaggerating on assuming Seabrook wanted to separate Backes head from shoulders. Seabrook made a hockey play- a tough one. 3-2 playoff hockey game. The best player for St Louis (or one of the best) is skating from behind the net with the puck. As an opposing player, I want to punish (not hurt) that player. Given the speed of the game, I don't think there was a single thought in Seabrooks head that said- oh, he's got his head down, I am going to crush him. I think it was, here he comes from behind the net, I am going to separate him from the puck. 

Edited by Vanflyer
  • Like 1

@Vanflyer

@flyerrod

@ruxpin

@J0e Th0rnton

@hf101

His follow through takes him off his skates(seabrook) because of the way he was finishing the check. If he did not hit him in the head, I don't have issues with the play.

Edited by flyerrod

His follow through takes him off his skates(seabrook) because of the way he was finishing the check. If he did not hit him in the head, I don't have issues with the play.

agree.......

my only question....as a hockey player (full disclosure..I never played).  Seabrook is zeroed in on Backes..realizes  Backes is too low (at the last moment) and he know he might have a head shot.  At the speed the game is played...how is a player (in this case Seabrook) avoid the head?  It happens sooooo fast....so what is a player supposed to do?  Could Seabrook avoided it at the last moment?  Just curious everyone's thoughts?

The whole issue is Seabrook clearly elevates his shoulder and drives it into Backes' head. Backes made no sudden change of direction or feints, and so under the notorious Cooke/Savard rule that's a suspendable hit.

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 1

I loved the hit, especially on Backes who has been known to take a charge across the ice to go after a player himself more than once. The head was hit sure, but Seabrook never left his feet and just absolutely Kronwalled him. The wife and I watched it several times and the wife says it was dirty because Seabrook targeted the head and I disagree. Sorry, that used to be a hockey play but figure skating rules are becoming the norm. Nonetheless I believe that Seabrook will be suspended. It is just the way the game is played now.