Game 2 - Flyers did what they had to do

brelic

Well, I mean, players and coaches always tell the straight truth in post game interviews. So, you got me there.

Come on, man. Your *saw* four or five cross ice one timers in those last two periods. Berube says they turned off that spigot, but things obviously still dripped through. The difference was emery ahead of the play and ready to shut them down. And go ahead and tell me that seeing a particular guy doing the same short list of things for 120 minutes wouldn't clue you into what he might do over the next 60. It's silly to pretend these things don't exist.

Stevens did... Wasn't it with Giroux in 2009? Didn't he make an awful

Mistake against the penguins and Steve put him back in key situations and he ended up scoring the next game?

Yes, it was an ugly win! It was so frustrating to watch, I went outside instead of watching the 3rd period! Much better for the blood pressure :) I was saying in the game chat how the Flyers haven't been fun to watch in Games 1 and 2.

Do you think they've figured out the Rangers? In other words, can we expect a more coherent (and confident) looking Flyers team in Game 3?

Yeah, that's pretty impressive. The coverage on him has made him ineffective, but he's gotta rise above it. That's what top players do.

I agree. It's not even that it's a classy move, it was the right move. An emotional coach would have kept him out. A rational coach, like Chief, realizes that he helps more than he hurts. Something tells me Laviolette wouldn't have reacted the same way!

We kinda knew the Rangers were good at shutting down G.

They're making him their special project. The good news, that's creating space for Jake who is capitalizing.

The rangers are sacrificing in order to shut him down which can happen with key players like that. the secondary scoring came through yesterday.

If they can punish the rangers for that sacrifice like that, then the whole plan falls through. Depth is fun!

I just want to make sure Giroux doesn't get his wrists broken again.

Stevens did... Wasn't it with Giroux in 2009? Didn't he make an awful

Mistake against the penguins and Steve put him back in key situations and he ended up scoring the next game?

Yeah, could be. I don't remember. But it would make sense because Stevens was very much a rational coach like Chief. 

@Bakanekimiwa

could be.  or, he could look at how it looks like emery went to school over 4 periods, and suddenly was shutting down the cross ice onetimer because he has come to recognize when they are setting that up.  after period one yesterday, the rags didn't have an inch to look at when switching ice like that.  they still tried several times, but saw a flyers crest staring at them each time.

playing against a group of guys is the best scouting report possible.  if you don't think that has any impact....  and stuff.

I'm sorry but this is getting absurd.  He won ONE game. It wasn't like it was a shut out, either (wouldn't matter if it was, quite frankly, but it wasn't).  If he's healthy, you do not sit the guy who started 75% of your games and had half a goal GAA better.  You just don't.  Not on planet earth.  And you certainly don't use some bullshit reasoning that the backup got to see shooting tenancies for a whopping two games--one of which he lost fairly decidedly.  Maybe in the beer league. Not in the NHL.  Mason played them three times this year.  This "know the tendancies" is a bunch of utter crap pure and simple.  You go through entire seasons with only a handful of home/homes and the rest is incessantly playing people you haven't played in a bit.  Completely overblown nonsense jibberish entirely devoid of merit if ever there was. He keeps a healthy #1 on the bench and plays Mr. 25 Games and loses the series, Berube deserves to be looking for another job.  And HE knows it.   Like bak said, this is forum fodder but not in the slightest bit attached to reality.  This whole discussion is absurd crap.  Nothing more.

He keeps a healthy #1 on the bench and plays Mr. 25 Games and loses the series, Berube DESERVES to be looking for another job. 

and if he brings a 100% but goalie into game 4, coming off a head injury and 2 weeks removed from his last game action and sits the goalie who is fully up to speed in the series and kept it close enough to win games, and thus loses the series?  what then?

either call is the wrong one if the team loses the series.  that's a pretty good bit of projected hindsight you're using there, rux.  well played.

For what it is worth, I go with Mason if he is healthy and it's not even a debate for me. Mason has a superior skill set to Emery, and more importantly, despite Emery's stellar game #2, he is much more likely to implode than Mason. This is the time of year you just can't afford that, and every time Emery takes the nets in the playoffs, that is a real risk. I hope and pray Mason gets back soon, cause I don't think the Flyers can beat the Rangers with Emery in the nets for every game.

The one thing that is in our favour, this is not the same Lundy we are accustomed to seeing. I had him as a keeper for the past 3 years, and decided to trade him this year, at least once a week he seemed to turn in a 4+ goals allowed effort and I got sick and tired of it wrecking my goalie stats.

Can't pin point what is wrong with him, but his head does not seem in the game as it used to be....and his rebound control went south for most of the year and rarely came back. He is just not the same guy, which is a big plus for the Flyers. The Flyers have beat Lundy in the playoffs when he was on and in his prime, so this version bodes well for us. I decided to go with Bob and Varly for next year, which is the main reason I traded Lundy in the first place....they are both young and up and coming, and Lundy is (IMHO) on a definite downward spiral.

The Flyers have beat Lundy in the playoffs when he was on and in his prime, so this version bodes well for us.

When did we beat Lundy in the playoffs? We haven't played the Rangers since 1997. 

I'm sorry but this is getting absurd.  He won ONE game. It wasn't like it was a shut out, either (wouldn't matter if it was, quite frankly, but it wasn't).  If he's healthy, you do not sit the guy who started 75% of your games and had half a goal GAA better.  You just don't.  Not on planet earth.  And you certainly don't use some bullshit reasoning that the backup got to see shooting tenancies for a whopping two games--one of which he lost fairly decidedly.  Maybe in the beer league. Not in the NHL.  Mason played them three times this year.  This "know the tendancies" is a bunch of utter crap pure and simple.  You go through entire seasons with only a handful of home/homes and the rest is incessantly playing people you haven't played in a bit.  Completely overblown nonsense jibberish entirely devoid of merit if ever there was. He keeps a healthy #1 on the bench and plays Mr. 25 Games and loses the series, Berube deserves to be looking for another job.  And HE knows it.   Like bak said, this is forum fodder but not in the slightest bit attached to reality.  This whole discussion is absurd crap.  Nothing more.

I'm pretty sure anything a goalie would figure out about an entire teams shooting tendencies over 2 games would be multiplied considerably on his tendencies when discussed and dissected by 18 guys.

you want quotes I'll give ya quotes:

from a story on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=28629&navid=nhl:topheads

Mason said Emery's strong play has allowed him to progress through his recovery at his own pace.

"Right now, the way [Emery] is playing there's no hurry," Mason said. "He's the reason we won [sunday].

Even if I was ready, there's no reason to take him out now."

And get this, Mason specifically told nhl.com he wants that quote set in BOLD. Yep. swear to gawd. :P

you want quotes I'll give ya quotes:

from a story on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=28629&navid=nhl:topheads

Mason said Emery's strong play has allowed him to progress through his recovery at his own pace.

"Right now, the way [Emery] is playing there's no hurry," Mason said. "He's the reason we won [sunday].

Even if I was ready, there's no reason to take him out now."

And get this, Mason specifically told nhl.com he wants that quote set in BOLD. Yep. swear to gawd. :P

You are a liar!  I have a quote from Mason saying otherwise

Mason then stated, "Please do not put that quote in bold, as it will give the message board junkies fodder to say I should sit this series out" :ph34r:  :P

Nice quote by Mason due to the circumstances but what REALLY concerns me, scares me, call it what you will....

He isn't even dressing and we've got Cal Heeter backing up Emery. 

I'd feel much better if he was at least dressing.

Yeah this is definitely worse than we all thought. It's been 11 days since he got hit...going on 2 weeks and he's not even sure he'll be ready Friday.

Still I'm keeping the faith that Emery and the Flyers can get through the Rags and then Mason is totally fresh for R2. By then rust will be a concern but he can shake that off pretty quick.

Yes I know, way ahead of myself here...tonight is all that matters, first PO game in Philly in awhile.... Make it a WIN Flyers!

uh.. I've played some goalie too.

I played goalie once, too.  One early slapshot to my clearly insufficiently protected groin and after that the corners of the net were all theirs.  I protected that 5 hole like Fort Knox the rest of that game, you can believe that.

I'm pretty sure anything a goalie would figure out about an entire teams shooting tendencies over 2 games would be multiplied considerably on his tendencies when discussed and dissected by 18 guys.

Yep

Posted · Hidden by hf101, April 22, 2014 - none
Hidden by hf101, April 22, 2014 - none

^ THIS

Absolutely 1000X this. I don't have a lot of time for this forum much lately, but when I do... wow, I feel like I've entered bizarro world of reasoning sometimes. I mean, it's all good fun to dig into the minutia of the game here, but it very quickly can go off to LALA land. There are some ego's here... not mentioning any names, that will just continue to pound on a theme of 'I'm right, you're wrong' .... entertaining. 

Posted · Hidden by hf101, April 22, 2014 - not on topic
Hidden by hf101, April 22, 2014 - not on topic

Well, I mean, players and coaches always tell the straight truth in post game interviews. So, you got me there.

You'd be a lot less of a dick if you left out the heavy sarcasm. I guess that would be asking too much though. carry on. 

This whole discussion is absurd crap. Nothing more.

man oh man...

In my other post I was just trying to give Emery some props - trying to keep the mojo going as he has played well.  If Mason is 100% then he gets the start(s).   Although, it does make me a little nervous that he is not even dressing so my assumption is that he has a concussion which could be (hopefully not) lone term.

Edited by murraycraven

Posted · Hidden by hf101, April 22, 2014 - off topic
Hidden by hf101, April 22, 2014 - off topic

You'd be a lot less of a dick if you left out the heavy sarcasm. I guess that would be asking too much though. carry on.

So, wait. My opinion gets dismissed as "hullabaloo" (PC for something else, we're told) and "utter crap" (by a forum moderator, no less), and I'm the dick.

For added fun, there are mysterious "egos" here that are "entertaining" for not melting into a sycophantic puddle because a couple of guys disagree with them. Never mind that you and ruxpin also have maintained your "I'm right, you're wrong" positions, too. Only much more offensively.

*i* think it makes a difference that emery has seen the Rangers twice in a row. Enough that a goalie change is not an obvious choice. I've tried to explain why, and I'm sorry I haven't been convinced otherwise by "nu-uh, that's utter crap" and a pair of post-game comments.

While we're at it, @ruxpin, I think it a pretty fair sized mess when a mod castigated posters for being annoyed at cross - child board trolling, in the name of inclusion and growing the forum, and then two weeks later dismisses opinions and entire lines of discussion as meritless gibberish posted by people who haven't the foggiest clue what they are talking about. Which is it? Is this kumbiya land, or is it inappropriate to be a dismissive jackass?

Posted · Hidden by hf101, April 22, 2014 - off topic
Hidden by hf101, April 22, 2014 - off topic

@aziz

Well, there's always the old philly.com flyers board.  No, that is not really an option, if you've ever gone back to that graveyard.  No posting links, no italics or bolds, and if you use a carriage return, it will sprinkle your post with visible HTML coding that renders any message all but unreadable.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by hf101, April 22, 2014 - not on topic
Hidden by hf101, April 22, 2014 - not on topic

^ THIS

Absolutely 1000X this. I don't have a lot of time for this forum much lately, but when I do... wow, I feel like I've entered bizarro world of reasoning sometimes. I mean, it's all good fun to dig into the minutia of the game here, but it very quickly can go off to LALA land. There are some ego's here... not mentioning any names, that will just continue to pound on a theme of 'I'm right, you're wrong' .... entertaining. 

Although I am not sure if would lump myself into the "LALA" category you are speaking about I feel like I need to respond here b/c of a similar post I made yesterday. 

So let me get this right...  some people post opinions, ideas, what have you, and b/c certain people "go off to LALA land" this board is intolerable?  That is some pretty close-minded thinking.  Moreso, some people should not post their thoughts?   Sorry bak but that is pretencious bullshit if you ask me - and I usually really  enjoy your posts, and in general, agree with them.   People are entitled to an opinion and speculation/opinion is basically what drives the entire idea of this very forum.  

I posted yesterday in the "I will ask the question" board similar to what some people are arguing here.  Frankly, I dont think it is out of the question to discuss/debate this topic but I guess some people here are not entitled to their opinion - which is funny b/c I thought this forum was started to get away from the BS on silly.com

If that is the case this place just surpasssed silly.com for total bullshit.   Dont let us peons keep you away... with that attitude I think people will choose to leave and let the non "LALA" land folks stay so everyone can agree.

F this bs...

Edited by murraycraven

I don't think the Emery supporters are simply CRAZY for considering starting him. Am I just imagining the age old saying about playing the hot goalie until he falters? Once again, IMO, Emery hasn't really performed "lights out" enough for me to say he's the clear cut choice, but those dismissing Emery supporters are being a bit unfair.

I don't think the Emery supporters are simply CRAZY for considering starting him. Am I just imagining the age old saying about playing the hot goalie until he falters? Once again, IMO, Emery hasn't really performed "lights out" enough for me to say he's the clear cut choice, but those dismissing Emery supporters are being a bit unfair.

x, I agree completely... I posted the topic yesterday for some debate and actually do not think Emery should get the start if Mason is healthy.  I also don't dismiss other people's opinions b/c they dont line up w/ mine.   I might debate them but I dont think people should be dismissed for their opinion.   Who the hell wants to debate something if everyone agreed - there would be no debate.  

Edited by hf101
removed content
  • Like 1