Matt Cooke knee on knee

yave1964

Goddammit it. Shades of Ulf Samuelsson there. As a repeat offender, taking out one of their best intentionally, I gotta think it will be 20+ games.

Joe, not defending him, because he was a douche, but you know that the hit I think you're refering to was not what ruined Neely's career,

This particular hit?   Simply wreckless and unnecessary.  With his "history", he's going down for a few games.

Edited by nossagog

I agree 100% with you.  My issue is the absolute STUPIDITY of the "18 month rule" and the slate supposedly being washed clean.  There is no way in hell, that happens. 

So stop with the charade, and just hammer people when they cross the line.  

Agree 1,000% with you.  I'd even take it a step further.  Anything you do in the leagues that feed direct into the NHL....Collegiate, AHL and Juniors...should be considered if it is "reasonably" recent enough.  Not saying that a 35 year old veteran who goes elbow to the head should have something he did in the AHL when he was 20 count but if there is a trend? Absolutely.

Well the players have nobody to blame but themselves.  They are the ones who wanted the 18 month expiration.  They've done it to themselves.  

Then again, 99.9% of any level of hockey players don't LEAD with their knee.

Then again, 99.9% of any level of hockey players don't LEAD with their knee.

But the players knew this was in the mix.  Why fight for something that defeats protecting yourselves?  I was 100% behind Cooke with his reforming days.  But this blows that up.  The players should have known this 18 month crap really only protects the most reckless amongst them.  Why do that? 

I never did like Matt Cooke.

Didn't like him on the Canucks, didn't like him on the Penguins, and honestly, was surprised Minnesota signed him to a contract given his reputation and the fact that they have many young guys looking to still "learn the game the right way" on their roster and in the minors, and just wondered what kind of influence  a guy like Cooke would have on them.

That all said, Cooke HAD kept his nose clean throughout his time with the Wild...sometimes, I thought, a bit TOO clean.

I am all for guys agitating, pushing the envelope...though NOT, of course, on board with incidents such as this one.

I always thought that if Cooke really did clean his act up, he could still be valuable to the Wild as just that: Agitator Extraordinaire.

He had been checking reasonably well, killing off penalties really well...then come playoff time, and he seemed to be doing this thing out there, getting under the skin of the other team...and I start thinking that Minnesota may indeed have struck gold with this guy because he is throwing off the games of opposing players.......then I see this.

And coming on the heels of the nasty Mike Rupp incident against TJ Oshie as well.

If the Wild aren't careful, they may start gaining a reputation (undeservedly at this point) of being a "goon" team.

That is NOT what the Wild are. They have lots of skill and talent, and many a young player looking to make themselves a good name in the NHL.

Hopefully guys like Rupp and Cooke won't define the perception of the Wild as a team.

Cooke will deserve whatever the league gives him. 18 months clean? Ok. That's nice.

But NO amount of wording and/or policies can cover up the fact that the 35 yr old Cooke always has played this way.

Guys on the Minnesota Wild team who play with a bit of an edge and a touch of sandpaper:

Nate Prosser, Clayton Stoner, Stephane Veillieux, even Nino Niederrater at times....but NONE of those guys would be caught pulling the kinds of shenanigans guys like Cooke, Marchand, and Burrows are known for.

As a fan, I am looking past Cooke now.

I do feel badly for Tyson Barrie personally, but this should in NO WAY change the way the Minnesota Wild play the Colorado Avalanche.

The Wild still have the ability to bring a tough, gritty, hard, yet clean style of playoff hockey to the Avs without resorting to BS plays.

Matt Cooke does NOT define Minnesota Wild hockey.

The front office best look at future signings and try to keep players like that off the roster in the near future.

Joe, not defending him, because he was a douche, but you know that the hit I think you're refering to was not what ruined Neely's career,

This particular hit?   Simply wreckless and unnecessary.  With his "history", he's going down for a few games.

I remember that series like it was yesterday

http://www.complexmag.ca/sports/2013/07/most-unsportsmanlike-acts-in-sports-history/ulf-samuelsson-hit

Samuelsson hit Neely twice in that series. The first hit ruined his mobility for the rest of the series(Looked like this hit), and the second one in game 6 put him on the shelf for years(The second hit, Neely was going to crush him, and he stuck his knee out with force while ducking the hit that it smashed into Neely's thigh again), and ultimately ended his career years later.

Samuelsson was kneeing everyone back then. There is a rather funny video of Trottier and Stevens Heckling Bellows after he went down to a knee on knee, but scored on the PP.

Pissed me off because the Bruins were up 2 games to 0 and were winning game 3 until that hit. Then Dumbarse Milbury decided it would be a good idea to add a bunch of goons to the lineup who could not play hockey to retaliate.

cooke played for the canucks for a number of years, and he was a trouble making coward.  he would start trouble, then as soon as the linesman

arrived he would eagerly snuggle up to him, then yap back at the other player, but always keeping the linesman between he and other player.

he 'never' ever fought with anyone, would always turtle or just look for linesman.

after he left canucks he got worse and began to get dirtier, then the savard incident, which is the reason for rule change.

then the pittsburg incident. and i'm forgetting others.

this series is very very fast, the young talented guys, on both teams are amazing, and i could see cooke getting more and more riled up, as he

couldn't quite keep up with that speed.

throw the book at him, he has taken a wonderful young player out of the game, intentionally, this cannot be tolerated.  cooke has done a

service for his own team, has given them a little bit of a better opportunity to win, but i'm sure his own team will never thank him for that,

they will just turn the other way, i'm sure they are very disappointed in him.

Though he still plays a rugged game, he hasn't been suspended since he got 10 regular-season games and the first round of the playoffs for elbowing New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh in 2011.

I don't think it was that bad or intentional....look again!!!!!!!!

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10154041_626849467407006_2148780708665933307_n.jpg

see!!!!!!!

Someone on a Minneapolis sports talk show had suggested that Barrie's knee started to buckle right before Matt Cooke hit him.

He claimed to have looked at the replay from several angles and that Tyson Barrie, indeed, seemed to have moved in an odd way as to suggest that something was wrong with his leg/knee....right before Cooke made contact.

Granted, the guy wasn't trying to defend Cooke, but merely putting that out there.

Thought I would post this simply because if something over the next few days comes of it, I wonder how much it will change Matt Cooke's presumed punishment.

Personally, after looking at the replay myself over and over, I didn't see anything to suggest Barrie had hurt himself prior to Cooke's knee hitting him....and make no mistake, Cooke DID knee the guy.

There did seem to be a slight change in posture, even direction from Barrie...but I attributed that to him catching a glimpse of an incoming Matt Cooke at the very last second, and perhaps trying, unsuccessfully, to decide what he was going to do.

Thing is, if somehow, someway, it comes out that Barrie did injure himself prior to Cooke landing the knee, it DOES NOT change the fact that Cooke's hit was a bad one.

Further complicating things for 'Cookie'...is the fact that he has that well earned reputation.

If it were a first time offender or someone who is not viewed as a dirty or rat player, and it came out that Barrie did injure himself prior to contact, MAYBE they get the benefit of the doubt....though the actual act of knee on knee is still there in plain sight for all to see.

Matt Cooke? He used up his supply of canned Doubt Benefits long ago. He will most likely get NO such consideration.

Bottom line though:

The hit was terrible and it does take away not only from the Avalanche, but from the NHL, one of its up n comers, for the rest of this season.

Matt Cooke is in deep doo-doo, as well he should be.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

cooke played for the canucks for a number of years, and he was a trouble making coward.  he would start trouble, then as soon as the linesman

arrived he would eagerly snuggle up to him, then yap back at the other player, but always keeping the linesman between he and other player.

he 'never' ever fought with anyone, would always turtle or just look for linesman.

after he left canucks he got worse and began to get dirtier, then the savard incident, which is the reason for rule change.

then the pittsburg incident. and i'm forgetting others.

this series is very very fast, the young talented guys, on both teams are amazing, and i could see cooke getting more and more riled up, as he

couldn't quite keep up with that speed.

throw the book at him, he has taken a wonderful young player out of the game, intentionally, this cannot be tolerated.  cooke has done a

service for his own team, has given them a little bit of a better opportunity to win, but i'm sure his own team will never thank him for that,

they will just turn the other way, i'm sure they are very disappointed in him.

Yup. Cooke was always a bit of a hit and hide guy. Tough until the bell rung, but then embarrassed himself

StarnesQuarry1.gifsxjfc1.gif

This is from Kerry Fraser's blog on TSN.ca 

Pretty much answers the questions I had about the 18 month rule.

A player's record is expunged if he goes 18 months without an infraction but that only applies to the formula for calculating lost wages. If a player has a fine or suspension in last 18 months, he's a repeat offender and the lost wages formula is based on number of games suspended (5/82 for a five game suspension) as opposed to number of days (5/182 for a five game suspension in a 182-day regular season).

But a player's "history" stays with him as a permanent record and the NHL can take into account any or all past transgressions when determining length of a suspension.

History doesn't allow the NHL to suspend a player who, if not for his history, wouldn't be suspended. But once an illegal play has taken place, the NHL can use Matt Cooke's history as part of his sentencing even if his transgressions were years ago..

This is from Kerry Fraser's blog on TSN.ca

Pretty much answers the questions I had about the 18 month rule.

A player's record is expunged if he goes 18 months without an infraction but that only applies to the formula for calculating lost wages. If a player has a fine or suspension in last 18 months, he's a repeat offender and the lost wages formula is based on number of games suspended (5/82 for a five game suspension) as opposed to number of days (5/182 for a five game suspension in a 182-day regular season).

But a player's "history" stays with him as a permanent record and the NHL can take into account any or all past transgressions when determining length of a suspension.

History doesn't allow the NHL to suspend a player who, if not for his history, wouldn't be suspended. But once an illegal play has taken place, the NHL can use Matt Cooke's history as part of his sentencing even if his transgressions were years ago..

Okay thanks!

Why is it that Cooke might get greater than 10 games and yet Bickel got off with no suspension for his knee on knee hit to Sbotka?  Bickel made the same move Cooke did.  Sbotka wasn't injured.  So the same action gets 0 compared to 10+ games?

Why? That's an easy one. Because Barrie is on my fantasy team. 

Bingo. I don't hate him for his Pitts days as a coward punk, I hate him because he disgusted me as a Canucks fan. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing. The seabrook hit was a mean and nasty hit, but very close to a hockey play. The Cooke play was an intentional intent to injure and end a players career. Call me a hypocrite- but I have mammoth disdain for Cooke and always have- regardless of his 18 months of "retribution". 

Effing punk. 

Good article from the CBC on Cooke: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/04/matt-cooke-deserves-harsh-ruling-from-nhl.html

Edited by Vanflyer

Someone on a Minneapolis sports talk show had suggested that Barrie's knee started to buckle right before Matt Cooke hit him.

i see barrie beginning to make a move to get out of the way, pretty natural and i don't see that move injuring himself at all, until cooke's

knee made contact.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=716017&navid=nhl:topheads

7 games is enough.  -  but maybe too much based upon these prior hits.

Ovechkin got 2 games.  Bickel none,  Dustin Brown for knee on knee to Hertl - none.

7 games indeed.

Problem with Cooke is, compared to those guys, he is in a special category...Rodent, to be exact...and even before the ruling came down, we all had to know that given equal actions between he and some other players, he would get hammered just a bit harder.

It's like that one kid who keeps showing up in the principal's office:

You just EXPECT the worse from him and treat him as such because of his history...even though he may have been 'good' for some time prior.

Either way, it is what it is, and I gotta say, I can't shed a tear for Cooke, nor do I feel the Wild will be "missing out" on some major factor in order for them to win this series.

Would I have liked Cooke to remain, play on the edge, get under the skin of those young Avs players? Sure..as long as he didn't cross the line.

Well, he did, and I still feel Minnesota has PLENTY on their team without Cooke to beat the Avlanche.

If nothing else, as bad as this may sound, that despicable act of his gave Minnesota an advantage in the sense that a very good defenseman for the Avs will not be available to them.

Obviously, it is a terrible thing for Barrie,his team, and the NHL, but the Wild CANNOT play apologetically. Again, Matt Cooke does NOT represent Wild hockey, and Minny needs to play just as hard as before the incident.

I just hope that the Avs and Wild can play a heated yet clean series the rest of the way and that we won't see any 'payback' type plays that will result in MORE serious injuries for either side.

I said Cooke gave the Wild a tainted advantage by taking out Barrie...well, it could also serve to light a fire under the Avs and lead to the Wild having to "defend" Cooke's actions on the ice via dealing with angry Avs players.

Let's hope that is not the case....

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=716017&navid=nhl:topheads

7 games is enough.  -  but maybe too much based upon these prior hits.

Ovechkin got 2 games.  Bickel none,  Dustin Brown for knee on knee to Hertl - none.

Add those players transgressions together and you don't come near the carnage that smarmy eel of a rat bastard Cooke has left in his wake. The guy should have a target on his back for every goon on every team, and it shouldn't even be penalized.