Hal Gill #75 in your program #1 in your hearts

Samifan

Well here it is ladies and gentlemen; after all of us ridiculing Homer for signing Gill last September and the constant barrage of slams throughout the season directed at both Homer and Gill, it looks as if Gill will be dressing tomorrow to replace Grossmann. Bill Meltzer is reporting he is paired with Streit this morning at practice.

So Hal Gill of all people will end up being a critical piece to our playoff puzzle. Who knew, apparently Paul Holmgren!

Edited by Samifan

So Hal Gill of all people will end up being a critical piece to our playoff puzzle. Who knew, apparently Paul Holmgren!

How did Gustafson fall so far?? I can get it that they need to replace an apple for an apple, but wouldn't you like a nice ripe orange vs. a bruised apple?? 

Well here it is ladies and gentlemen; after all of us ridiculing Homer for signing Gill last September and the constant barrage of slams throughout the season directed at both Homer and Gill, it looks as if Gill will be dressing tomorrow to replace Grossmann. Bill Meltzer is reporting he is paired with Streit this morning at practice.

I'm ok with it the game he played the other day I thought he played well in. He has a cup and yes is slow but makes up for some of it by his positioning and he is physical...and between he and grossmann in a race I'm not sure who would win so they are replacing him with a simar type Dman. Go Flyers!!!

How did Gustafson fall so far?? I can get it that they need to replace an apple for an apple, but wouldn't you like a nice ripe orange vs. a bruised apple??

He shys away from contact lacks intensity some times and just doesn't win a lot of puck battles...he may be tradedbefore the draft...his rights since he is a RFA.

I have a new appreciation for Gill as he saw my 4 year old son and his best friend at their 1st game a couple of Sundays ago vs the Canes sitting by the glass for pre game warmups and came flying into the boards right in front of them to scare the just for fun which they got a both got a big kick out of. Jake was trying the entire warmup to flip them practice pucks but the protective netting got in the way. Here is a pic of them at the game in their seats.

post-96-0-74105800-1398546116_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

great story Poulin20 - and a really good shot of the kids having fun - nice!

If Gill goes for Gus we give up some big hits and shot-blocking but I think he'll hold his own just fine.

Gus has played well in the only playoff games he has ever played in, so I'm not sure why people are so nervous. He's a smart player. Sure he's a different player than Grossman (and Gill), but for years many were complaining about needing puck-moving D-men.

He also led all our D-men in plus/minus [insert dumb comment on plus/minus being a useless stat category here]. I'm obviously a fan of the young man, so biased, but geez, you'd think his name as Gauthier or something the way he is talked about at times here....

I have a new appreciation for Gill as he saw my 4 year old son and his best friend at their 1st game a couple of Sundays ago vs the Canes sitting by the glass for pre game warmups and came flying into the boards right in front of them to scare the just for fun which they got a both got a big kick out of. Jake was trying the entire warmup to flip them practice pucks but the protective netting got in the way. Here is a pic of them at the game in their seats.

attachicon.gifphoto 4.JPG

that is great to hear man i like him even more now..........Go Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is just a special place in my heart for athletes who take time out for kids...that is as good as it gets...what its all about!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

It's the regression this year that soured Gus. He showed promise the year before and effectively erased all progress.

I'm not sure I understand. He set career highs in assists and points, has increased his assists/game and points/game in each of the last three seasons (82 game pace of 27 pts, which would put him 3rd among defensemen), and he was +7 (4th on the club, 1st among defensemen).

Does he make mistakes? Of course he does, because he has all of 91 career NHL games to his name.

What are you seeing in his game that is a regression?

This season, Gus was a liability. Granted, the whole team was, but he finished last season so strongly that it was a real disappointment. Eye test stuff like shying away from contact, turning the puck over under mild forechecking pressure, missing defensive assignments. The non score sheet stuff that matters.

I'd still like to give him more time to develop, but I'd prefer that in the regular season. The Rangers are way too physical for Gus.

An interesting read i think....on the subject at hand.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/4/27/5656698/philadelphia-flyers-injury-defense-hal-gill-mark-streit-nicklas-grossmann

I'm not particularly concerned with the decision to play Gill over Gustafasson. Grossmann isn't a dynamic player with a skillset that is hard to replicate. If anything, Gill should be able to most effectively replace exactly what Grossman brings to the Flyers' blueline.

Grossmann, however, really did improve after the Olympic break. For all of his struggles earlier in the season, he really turned it around after the break. He and Mark Streit combined to become a very effective pairing.

The bigger concern should be Mark Streit, and making sure he continues to be able to the active blueliner he has been, and has been excelling in. Grossmann enabled Streit to play to his strengths, while making sure that Grossmann was sticking to his.

For that reason, perhaps Gill is the better choice. Regardless, my concern isn't exactly about replacing Grossmann, but rather ensuring Mark Streit can continue to be the dynamic defenseman he's been for two months now.

I agree....Go Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This season, Gus was a liability. Granted, the whole team was, but he finished last season so strongly that it was a real disappointment. Eye test stuff like shying away from contact, turning the puck over under mild forechecking pressure, missing defensive assignments. The non score sheet stuff that matters.

I'm gonna go all Moneyball on you if you keep up with this "eye test stuff."

I didn't watch every single shift of his this year, but I challenge you to prove this.

I'm gonna go all Moneyball on you if you keep up with this "eye test stuff."

I didn't watch every single shift of his this year, but I challenge you to prove this.

Outside of a forum poll, it can't be proven. Entirely fair statement.

@doom88

I think Hal Gill just proved that Gus was the better choice.

That entire sequence was a disaster. Coburn putting the puck in his skates, and Mason caught sleeping. Blame for everyone.

Fire all the things?

Also, Gus blows that just as badly.

@Podein25

Three major plays I recall involving Gill ... 1) getting beat in the neutral zone leading to an odd man rush (no goal "whew") , 2) missing that scoring opportunity in the slot, 3) giving up the third goal

All three of these plays had momentum effects. I can't understand why you play a guy with six regular season games all year over ANYONE else. This was game five in MSG. It's not the time to make sure everyone gets some ice time

The Rangers have been generating quality chances off a really fast transition game. How does a coach decide to go with a guy who can't outskate a Zamboni?

When his choice is down to that or a guy who runs away from contact. Gus doesn't match up well for this series.

At this point, I'd consider Lauridsen though. Not saying I actually play him, but give it serious consideration and figure out what gives the team the best chance to succeed.

All three of these plays had momentum effects. I can't understand why you play a guy with six regular season games all year over ANYONE else. This was game five in MSG. It's not the time to make sure everyone gets some ice time

This one hangs on homers head. He is the one that made this called. Bummer about MAB. But I put Gustafson in the lineup.