Is VLC really that bad?

CoachX

Look, I get the arguement as it pertains to salary. A guy making that kind of jack should be producing better. Its hard to argue against it. But I can't blame him for taking what was offered. that's on Homer. However, VLC was 9th on the team in points (37), tenth in assists (17), and fifth in goals (20). He did this on a new team while changing positons several times and going through the debacle of the start of this season.

I'm not arguing that it was a great deal or his worth in relation to it. But I would say another season is not the worst thing in the world if he can at least produce at the same level. If they did find a way to move him, would they get back a player who produces at the same level? And none of us can say he won't be better next season. How many of us thought Jagr was going to be as good as he was, or that Hartnell would score 37 goals in a season?

Don't hate the player, hate the contract.

Bottom line is the Flyers did not need ANOTHER center and Homer and Uncle Ed should have went shopping in another aisle of the free agent store!

Don't hate the player, hate the contract.

THIS!  Not to mention he is NOT what this team needs.  The one, and arguably, only position of NHL quality depth on this team is center, and it was before signing VLC.  It will continue to be after he's gone.  

For those reasons, and that gawd awful contract--he should be moved.  

However, VLC was 9th on the team in points (37), tenth in assists (17), and fifth in goals (20).

There's the problem, though. 9th on the team in points. On an 18 man roster, 6 of whom are defensemen. That's not good, certainly replaceable.

Take the cap hit into account, and it's full on terrible.

@CoachX

As pointed out, we needed a center like a hole in the head. Vinnie comes in having been just bought out (that's not a red flag in Homers books?). He sucks at faceoffs, gives zero effort without the puck, and is basically an injury waiting to happen these days. And did I mention we didn't need another center? We've got at least 2 young guys we're trying to develop into a #2, so lets bring in VLC? It's not the money that really sucks, it's the term.

I really hope he's gone before camp.

So the team did not need him and should not have signed him, and for that they should now move him, at any cost? That doesn't make sense to me. Its like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't understand the mentality of gettting rid of "just because". So it was a bad decision from a contract/financial stand point, and after years of this, we are all offended by it. But like it or not, it is what it is.

If he puts up 25/50 next season, what then?

There's the problem, though. 9th on the team in points. On an 18 man roster, 6 of whom are defensemen. That's not good, certainly replaceable.

Take the cap hit into account, and it's full on terrible.

I am not making a very compelling argument, am I?

Look, I get the arguement as it pertains to salary.

For me it's not just about salary he is close to immobile(mind you even when he was the 1st overall pick he was never known to be fleet of foot and he can't be expected now to get faster)...a stationary guy almost even his one weapon to me seemed to be just his slapper.

That combined with his salary and length of contract  on top of just not fitting the defensive style system Berube is trying to deploy isn't a good fit.

Then to throw in take reps from Brayden while he is still developing at center just spoils it for me.

It's all this rolled into one. I do not hate him.

But one if the Flyers have one and only one strength to their organization it is depth at center.

So he just doesn't fit for all those reasons.

And now that contract will almost make him untradable. If there was no NTC or NMC or whtever he has i would feel better about him just being moved anywhere but with him having control well those are handcuffs we can't deny.

No, he's not that bad, at least he wasn't before the back injury. That said, he's not a fit, and you can't divorce him from the cap hit because that's hampering potential efforts to bring in guys that are fits. You have to move him if you can to gain some flexibility in the roster, and under the cap.

If he puts up 25/50 this year it means one of two things, IMO: Either he is playing somewhere else, or B. Schenn is.

So the team did not need him and should not have signed him, and for that they should now move him, at any cost?

Yes...they gave up nothing to sign him, except cash---Which Mr Davis and Comcast have plenty of these days.  Trade him for a 6th round pick and move on.

As of note that is why the Amac signing for me is more easy to digest....Amac fills a need on the blueline (for now) and he doesn't have a NMC or NTC.

So i can't/don't expect him to make the whole length of the contract in O n B....he will be gone i believe in a year or two at the draft or deadline one year.

And if VLC didn't have one of these NTC or NMC i'd feel better about him....but gulp he does.

Yes...they gave up nothing to sign him, except cash---Which Mr Davis and Comcast have plenty of these days.  Trade him for a 6th round pick and move on.

It's sad when that looks like a win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But i agree.  :ph34r:

could he be an effective 4th line center? That appeared to work pretty well

With that contract (thanks Homer for effin us one more time on your way out) they may have no choice!!!!!!!! So yes by default.

Here's another way to look at it:  Would you trade VLC for any of these players?  Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri, Jussi Jokinen or Mats Niskanen?  

Cause that's exactly the type of player VLC's contract is PREVENTING the Flyers from signing.....

• Like 2

No, not at all... ;)

Teams can try and right there bad decisions all the time. Carter, Richards and the Pens could possibly do it before LeTang's contract kicks in... the point here is that you are not getting what you are paying for. You went out and bought a Land Rover and ended up with Honda. Meanwhile you have 10 Hondas already in the garage that constantly need to be in the shop b/c they are breaking down.

It is not VLC - it is his contract and the fact that he is not really all that useful other than playing Center. Declining numbers, injury prone, bad length of contract and a high cost all but beg to try and move him. I like the player but the contract is not worth it and this signing was bad from the beginning. Nothing wrong w/ admitting it and trying to move him.

Meanwhile you have 10 Hondas already in the garage that constantly need to be in the shop b/c they are breaking down.

Hey! What's wrong with a Honda? They're awesome! :)

Nothing wrong w/ admitting it and trying to move him.

That's exactly what the dude from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch was saying - don't be afraid to cut and run even when you have a vested interest! That's how gamblers and suckers get taken all the time because can't bring themselves to cut their losses and get out.

• Like 1

That's exactly what the dude from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch was saying - don't be afraid to cut and run even when you have a vested interest! That's how gamblers and suckers get taken all the time because can't bring themselves to cut their losses and get out.

Nothing wrong w/ Hondas at all!!  I only drive Subarus so they are a close match!  Was trying to relate the overpriced car to a cheaper car - although, I will argue that a Honda is much better than a Land Rover!  LOL!

ha, well, no.  but, your point is taken:  he isn't a worthless player.  20 goals is 20 goals, and that's not nothing.  

the problem with VLC is the trifecta of mediocre production, large cap hit, and he is apparently incapable of playing anything other than center, which the flyers have way more than covered.  

he scored some goals, and that's good.  he can score some goals for another team, too.  the flyers run right at the cap, so the extra couple million in cap space that he fills above what his production justifies is a problem.  the fact that he HAS to slot in as a pivot, on a team full of pivots, makes line building rough.  

on the balance, he is an active problem for the flyers.  a team with more cap space and a more varied positional makeup might not find that to be the case.  they can just focus on the 20 goals and be happy.

• Like 1

mitigate the risk Brel!