Hartnell forced out by Hexy?

Samifan

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/scott-hartnell-says-he-was-forced-out-of-philadelphia-223254051.html?soc_src=copy

If this is true, I wonder who else Hexy called a told them they weren't in the flyers plan? VLC, GrossmanN?

Those are two guesses that ihope were included....Hexy and Berube threatened him with a back alley beating!!!!!!!!!

I hope Vinny is next and has his bags packed.

Yahoo seems to be down. 

Understandably, Hartnell was upset. The bait and switch is becoming the Flyers' MO, apparently.

But, really, this quote I think sums it up best:

“It had a lot to do with Hextall being named GM, and he wanted to put a fingerprint on how he wants to play,” he said, discussing his case. “He has a different vision for the club and their style of play going forward.”

Basically, Hextall inherited a certain team and the contracts that come with it. Hartnell, in a sense, is a victim of his contract. I'm sure there's no way he's traded if he has 3 years or less. 

• Like 3

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/scott-hartnell-says-he-was-forced-out-of-philadelphia-223254051.html?soc_src=copy

If this is true, I wonder who else Hexy called a told them they weren't in the flyers plan? VLC, GrossmanN?

Sami,

That is interesting considering I heard in twitterland that Hartnell and Berube were having some "disagreements".

So the truth is somewhere in the middle...... ???

How does a GM force someone out? He simply gets rid of him. When a guy is the GM, is it really earth-shattering news to say he was behind a trade?

Still an interesting read none the less.

How does a GM force someone out? He simply gets rid of him. When a guy is the GM, is it really earth-shattering news to say he was behind a trade?

Still an interesting read none the less.

I think forcing the ntc waiver was the thing.

I think forcing the ntc waiver was the thing.

Yeah. I would imagine. But it's still kind of a given, isn't it? A guy with a NMC has to be given some motivation, doesn't he? "you're welcome to stay. Enjoy Rinaldo as your linemate for your 8 minutes a game."

None of this is to say I didn't enjoy reading the article. I did. I'm glad it was posted here. I just thought the title was a little "no crap."

@ruxpin

I'm with you. Hartnell did seem annoyed about it, though, and I guess that's where the story is. You have some waived ntc's where the player ends up saying, "The team is headed in a different direction, so it's time for a fresh start." when the player actually says, "The GM wanted me gone, so I left," there is a little extra spice.

Plus, writers have deadlines and qquotas, so....

Edited by aziz

Conversation went like this:

Hexy: Do you remember that scene in that movie on Netflix?

Harts: Yeah!

Hexy: And the team was down...

Hexy: And the GM made that trade...

Harts: Yeah! Yeah!

Hexy: And do you remember what he said?

Hexy: Well that's what I'm saying!!

Harts: Yeah! Yeah!!

Conversation went like this:

Hexy: Do you remember that scene in that movie on Netflix?

Hexy: And the team was down...

Hexy: And the GM made that trade...

Hexy: And do you remember what he said?

Hexy: Well that's what I'm saying!!

Harts: Yeah! Yeah!!

LOL I have no idea what that was and I'm not completely sure I followed it, but it was entertaining as hell.

Hartnell is on a the Carter route with a scheduled delay in Columbus.

LOL Did you see Hartnell's quote about how he wasn't going to sit and sulk about it for months? I'm not sure he simply didn't mean he'll get over it and move on but the yahoo article thought he was talking about Carter.

I have to admit that it does crack me up thinking it might have been about Carter.

• Like 1

LOL Did you see Hartnell's quote about how he wasn't going to sit and sulk about it for months? I'm not sure he simply didn't mean he'll get over it and move on but the yahoo article thought he was talking about Carter.

I have to admit that it does crack me up thinking it might have been about Carter.

Entertaining to the bitter end, eh?

• Like 1

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/6/23/5835854/scott-hartnell-trade-flyers-angry

Hartnell also said that he feels happy to go to a place where he's appreciated, and that he waived his no trade clause to go to Columbus because it was clear he was no longer wanted in Philadelphia.

"You want to be somewhere where the team wants you and loves you," he said.

"Like a family."

I would say that the vast majority of players, in any sport, who have been traded feel exactly the same way. There's no real news here, the Flyers didn't do wrong by Scott Hartnell. On the contrary, they made him a very rich man.

• Like 1

You have some waived ntc's where the player ends up saying, "The team is headed in a different direction, so it's time for a fresh start." when the player actually says, "The GM wanted me gone, so I left," there is a little extra spice.

“It had a lot to do with Hextall being named GM, and he wanted to put a fingerprint on how he wants to play,” he [Hartnell]] said, discussing his case. “He has a different vision for the club and their style of play going forward.”

It's not as if Hextall told Hartnell that he hated his guts and wanted him out of Philadelphia on the next stage coach out of town. There is no story here, the Flyers made a hockey trade.

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 1

I would say that the vast majority of players, in any sport, who have been traded feel exactly the same way. There's no real news here, the Flyers didn't do wrong by Scott Hartnell. On the contrary, they made him a very rich man.

Well, it wasn't the "being traded" it was the "being asked to waive" after just signing a "team friendly" deal to "stay a Flyer" that had him by his own words "angry."

I am hopeful that this will be seen as Hextall shifting focus and taking over the team - but the reactions of many media and fans to the whole "signing a long term deal in Philadelphia" situation could easily have long term implications for the club if they are shared by other players.

And everyone is apparently hoping they will unload another one (VLC) soon.

Believe you me, I know "it's a business" and "anything can happen" - but then let's just stick with the "it's a business" thing and leave the whole "Flyers family" nonsense out of it. I'm perfectly happy with that (and acknowledge you didn't say anything about it, but it was in my original post).

It's not as if Hextall told Hartnell that he hated his guts and wanted him out of Philadelphia on the next stage coach out of town. There is no story here, the Flyers made a hockey trade.

If you don't think that forcing players to waive no trade clauses on their contracts and abandoning long term commitments to players has an effect on what other players think about "playing in Philadelphia" then I think we can just respectfully agree to differ.

It was a hockey move, it was a hockey trade. I understand why it happened.

It's just that other players do, too.

but then let's just stick with the "it's a business" thing and leave the whole "Flyers family" nonsense out of it. I'm perfectly happy with that (and acknowledge you didn't say anything about it, but it was in my original post).

Yeah, I'm not part of the "Flyers family" (whatever that is) so I have no problem there.