Mike Johnston? Who?

B21

Per Dreger, in an interview on 93.7 The Fan this morning, current Portland Winter Hawks (as in Juniors) is the front runner for the Pens' job.

He doesn't even have a Wikipedia page! :ph34r:

@B21  It's risky to hire outside of the NHL's "old boy's" network....but really, probably what your team really needs. A fresh new perspective with fresh new idea's AND somebody with no preconceived notions about your roster.

Per Dreger, in an interview on 93.7 The Fan this morning, current Portland Winter Hawks (as in Juniors) is the front runner for the Pens' job.

He doesn't even have a Wikipedia page! :ph34r:

I haven't been following the search for the Pens head coach very closely, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.

I thought I read a few of you guys mentioning that Babcock is their real target, so that would mean they're looking for a guy they can fire in a year. Is that just a 'rumour' or something that could materialize?

If it's true, they should have just kept Bylsma. This reminds me of the Brian Burke / Toronto situation.

@B21  It's risky to hire outside of the NHL's "old boy's" network....but really, probably what your team really needs. A fresh new perspective with fresh new idea's AND somebody with no preconceived notions about your roster.

Ordinarily I would very much agree with that.  In fact, last summer when we were kind of assuming Lavy would be fired, I would have argued for this approach (I think I actually did...the approach without an actual name attached to it since I wouldn't know the name of a junior coach any more than I'd know the name of a guy running a random deli in Toronto). 

But I wonder about the Pens.  Again, in theory I think it's not a bad option.  But when I think about the Pens specifically I wonder about the "core" there and their willingness to listen to a guy with no NHL experience.  I can just see Crosby, in particular, responding to him with "yeah, douche bag?  You've been here how long?  Let's compare rings!"

I think that would be my concern there.  But it's possible that @brelic is right and whomever is just a stop-gap until next June.

@jammer2

@flyercanuck

I feel better after seeing his resume.  Could end up being a good hire.  He has plenty of time in the NHL, too.

@brelic

I don't think Babcock is the eventual target anymore.  I said this in the other thread, too.  If he wants out and the Pens wanted him, something could have been worked out with Detroit.

@jammer2

@flyercanuck

I feel better after seeing his resume.  Could end up being a good hire.  He has plenty of time in the NHL, too.

@brelic

I don't think Babcock is the eventual target anymore.  I said this in the other thread, too.  If he wants out and the Pens wanted him, something could have been worked out with Detroit.

The big one I heard with Babs was Toronto. Supposedly he is waiting to see what Holland does with the Wings this offseason before deciding if he is coming back or moving on. He must be one hell of a coach, only 30 teams and he can essentially tell his GM do your job or I am going to take another job elsewhere.....

The big one I heard with Babs was Toronto. Supposedly he is waiting to see what Holland does with the Wings this offseason before deciding if he is coming back or moving on. He must be one hell of a coach, only 30 teams and he can essentially tell his GM do your job or I am going to take another job elsewhere.....

I think at the end of the day he's back in Detroit.