Sam Morin: Gotta love his moxy

Thought this was a nice article on Sam... gained another 20 pounds and sounds like he is a driven kid:

Samuel Morin, the Flyers 2013 first round draft selection who looks like Chris Pronger and probably plays like him (or whatever), wants to be an NHL defenseman this coming year.

That's the takeaway from a French-language interview he gave to TVA Sports over the weekend.

"I want to make the team. I got a taste last year when I played three exhibition games. I'm not going to camp as a tourist. It is certain that I want a place on the team."

It's highly unlikely that Morin, who turns 19 on July 12 and is preparing for his fourth-and-final QMJHL season, makes the Flyers in camp. Remember that the big knock on him when he was drafted last year was that he's still very raw, and that his size doesn't translate well to the NHL just yet. While saying "there's no reason to rush him" might be a total lie, that doesn't mean the Flyers should rush him.

Another season in the Q, another go at the World Juniors, and maybe some time in the AHL before jumping to the Flyers is probably the right path for him.

But on that issue of size, some good news:

"I put on muscle mass. I now weigh 220 pounds. It hurts more when I hit! I also improved my skating."

Morin was right around 200 pounds on draft day, and that's an encouraging jump in just a year.

You might also remember this video from March, in which Morin beat up a tiny person. He was also suspended in January after he got mad after a loss and threw his stick into the crowd. He's definitely a volatile player and is prone to play physical, but he's already talking about reeling in his hot-headedness.

"They like my off-ice and on-ice attitude. This is a good fit. I use my stick a lot and I play physical. And I'm hard to deal with. My opponents do not like to play against me.

It is sure that I must be careful not to fight against players who do not play much and just want me out of the game. But the battles are part of my game."

Morin will be in the Delaware Valley this week for Flyers development camp. No word just yet on exactly what day camp will begin, but the annual Trial On The Isle in Stone Harbor is next Monday, July 14.

Edited by murraycraven

@murraycraven  Morin put on 20 pounds of muscle? Wow, this is encouraging. The thought of having a big mean d-man who people hate to play against, it's just very exciting. Nice to hear his skating is progressing as well. He seems like a driven kid, can't wait for the day he finally arrives. Sanheim and Morin look like cornerstone types of building blocks. They both seemed to peak at the perfect time, making them viable targets for where the Flyers picked. Finally....finally....a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 2

Finally....finally....a light at the end of the tunnel.

Amen to that jammer...  Nice to finally have some strong d prospects for sure.   I hope he makes it a difficult decision for the Flyers this camp.  Although, I rather him develop a little more in Jrs and the A which I am sure is the plan.   Definitely seems like a driven kid that is trying to make his mark which is really encouraging.   20 pounds on his frame is a lot!!

It would be nice if Pronger could join the defensive coaching staff to train these kids as well. I think a coach that pairs himself with his defensive partner rookie or shadows him on the ice would give these youth hindsight and improved hockey IQ on what to do given each situation on ice. They do it in rally racing, where the helicopter tells the driver what's up ahead.

Just another outside of the box approach to development.

It would be nice if Pronger could join the defensive coaching staff to train these kids as well. I think a coach that pairs himself with his defensive partner rookie or shadows him on the ice would give these youth hindsight and improved hockey IQ on what to do given each situation on ice. They do it in rally racing, where the helicopter tells the driver what's up ahead.

would not be against that at all Legion... although, I think he is just working on scouting at this point but it would be awesome if e could spend some time on the ice w the kids.

Unless it has changed, Derian Hatcher is one of the defensive player development coaches. I wish he would do a little work with Coburn again as that was the last time Coburn was really playing up to his potential.

• Like 1

Unless it has changed, Derian Hatcher is one of the defensive player development coaches. I wish he would do a little work with Coburn again as that was the last time Coburn was really playing up to his potential.

Unfortunately, Hatcher can't fix stupid, which is what Coburn suffers from......

• Like 1

Like many said, at the very least it sounds like he won't have an issue in the motivation department.  To gain 20 pounds of muscles is not a joke.

I hope the Flyers handle him with care and not rush to make the roster.

A light 4 or 5 years away at best.

It's nice, but getting excited about a kid who won't even see his first real NHL experience for two years (and then the REAL work begins) is only mildly exciting to me.

I'm glad we have prospects, but we all know that's just what they are.

@murraycraven Morin put on 20 pounds of muscle? Wow, this is encouraging. The thought of having a big mean d-man who people hate to play against, it's just very exciting. Nice to hear his skating is progressing as well. He seems like a driven kid, can't wait for the day he finally arrives. Sanheim and Morin look like cornerstone types of building blocks. They both seemed to peak at the perfect time, making them viable targets for where the Flyers picked. Finally....finally....a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't think it's just the LTIR that's keeping him off the ice... Even just for practice.

I may be wrong, but it Pronger is on LTIR, I'm 99.9% sure he can NOT be on the ice. Now, video work/off-ice coaching, different story.

This kid could be a monster, and I don't think rushing defensive prospects is the flyers problem.

Giving up on them too soon is something if be more concerned with myself.

Like many said, at the very least it sounds like he won't have an issue in the motivation department. To gain 20 pounds of muscles is not a joke.

I hope the Flyers handle him with care and not rush to make the roster.

• Like 1

Can't remember his name but watched him in an interview on DNL, It was a Pre draft interview concerning the Flyers possibly moving up to the top spot and Morin. The guy is from a  Canadian sports network and he said he's not that impressed with Morin. Said he lacks discipline among other things. I gotta find that video for when he's wrong, and remind him of it

@King Knut  I say Morin gets a 10 game look this year and is a regular for the 2015-16 campaign. That's a lot quicker than 4-5 years. When a guy is that big and mean, he will force your hand. As long as his skating keeps progressing, it's only a short matter of time. I might get a half a season in the AHL, I'm not opposed to that....it just all depends on the where he's at in his development and which league is best suited for him at that stage.

• Like 1

@King Knut I say Morin gets a 10 game look this year and is a regular for the 2015-16 campaign. That's a lot quicker than 4-5 years. When a guy is that big and mean, he will force your hand. As long as his skating keeps progressing, it's only a short matter of time. I might get a half a season in the AHL, I'm not opposed to that....it just all depends on the where he's at in his development and which league is best suited for him at that stage.

Isn't it a ten game rule? So he would play 9? Or am I off by one? Anyone remember Sbisa?