I say do a 76er & Tank this season for McDavid

Mario99

IMO Flyers are not winning anything next year (thank Holmgren for this)

Hexy is stuck with bad contracts (like Phillies) and i say start over fresh 

and let Hextall build this his way, and i believe Hextall has the stones to tell Snider to go sit the F down

Pilldoc,

Oilers, Sabres, Flames and Panthers have some good yoiung talent, Sabres Defensemen are huge and skilled

key word is "young" talent.  They won't blossom overnight.  With all the "good" young talent..then why are the Oilers constantly picking top 10?  And the past 2 yrs the Flames have been picking 10?  So yeah they might have some young talent, until that talent develops, they will still struggle.  The same can also be said of the Panthers. Until proven otherwise, the Flyers are still better than these teams.

• Like 1

@Mario99  Don't know where you get this stuff. The Flyers are right in the thick of this thing. We came one game away from knocking off the eventual Eastern Conference champs!  If we did not have Mason, I might agree, but we have a star goalie now, there is just *NO* way we suck so badly that McDavid is even a remote 1% chance of being a Flyer. The whole concept is just silly.

• Like 4

For all the crap we give Homer about the bad deals and the poor cap situation he has left for Hexy, he has also left the Flyers in a decent position to grow a young group of kids into a winning team.  Whether that was by design or by accident, this team actually has a nice young core to build around with more kids in the pipeline than we have seen in awhile.  The Richards and Carter trades look better to me each year when you consider the long term picture.  This team is certainly in no position to tank, nor should they.  As long as Hexy sticks to his guns and doesn't trade away the kids for expensive vets, we have a lot to look forward to.  

• Like 3

The Richards and Carter trades look better to me each year when you consider the long term picture.

...and while we are dreaming of a future...Richards and Carter are winning Stanley Cups.  :unsure[1]:

...and while we are dreaming of a future...Richards and Carter are winning Stanley Cups.  :unsure[1]:

Yes, but do you honestly believe that keeping Richards and Carter would have brought a Cup to the Flyers?  They would have remained good players to build around, but ultimately their departure is not the reason the Flyers have not won the Cup IMO.  I think their trades have left this team is better shape when it comes to building a good team that is capable of sustained success in a couple years time.  It is about time that this team looks to the future rather than the win now attitude.  It obviously hasn't worked in 40 years  :(

• Like 4

I am NOT  fan of 'tanking' a season....not for my own teams, not for anyone else in the league...just diminishes the overall product and integrity of the on-ice play.

And the NHL ALREADY has issues with public perception...no need to be known as the league that 'encourages' teams to do half assed things like tanking seasons.

Besides, even if I were to agree the Flyers should do that, as was mentioned already, there are teams in FAR MORE dire straits (no pun intended...hehe) than the Flyers, thus Philly would have to do some SERIOUS tanking if they intend on grabbing the number one pick.

And they'd look pretty damned obvious too trying that in light of other teams with less to work with this coming season.

Yea, yea, I know...lore has it the Pens did that, blah, blah, blah....not going to re-open that can of worms again, but suffice to say that it may have worked out for them had it really gone down that way, but there is NO guarantee that if the Flyers, or anyone else, tries the same thing, that it will work for them too.

Just too many variables.

First off, the worst team doesn't automatically get the first pick....that darned bottom 5 drawing thing the NHL has going on....

Second, Connor McDavid may LOOK like a can't miss...but is he really? And even if he is, he is one hard hit and/or cheap dirty shot away from another player away,  from being dead weight on an IR list, while the Flyers sold their pride and integrity to get him. 

Third, you Philly fans are  tough crowd...can he even HANDLE playing in Philly when things are bad? Easy to play for the O & B when things are going well, but when things go south, the fans and media are RUTHLESS...just ask one Mr. Lindros. Can this McDavid handle that? Will he cry he wants out? Will he play his best knowing full well EVERYONE and their Rocky Balboa uncle will be watching his every move with a damned microscope!?

These are all things to consider.

No....Philly has their issues, but they really are fixable, given enough time.

In the meantime, the team can continue to make due with what they have and perhaps eek out a few deep playoff runs and maybe a couple division or conference championships along the way while they try to reach their Stanley Cup nirvana.

Despite the team's flaws, Philly still has some very good young players whom I suspect, we haven't seen the best from yet.

Throw in a good, in his prime goaltender, and a GM who really does seem to care about who and what he puts on the ice, and there really is no need to 'sell out' just for a CHANCE...yep, just a CHANCE, no guarantees....at a supposed franchise player.

• Like 3

For all the crap we give Homer about the bad deals and the poor cap situation he has left for Hexy, he has also left the Flyers in a decent position to grow a young group of kids into a winning team.  Whether that was by design or by accident, this team actually has a nice young core to build around with more kids in the pipeline than we have seen in awhile.  The Richards and Carter trades look better to me each year when you consider the long term picture.  This team is certainly in no position to tank, nor should they.  As long as Hexy sticks to his guns and doesn't trade away the kids for expensive vets, we have a lot to look forward to.  

Too bad Homer couldn't see he had some nice pieces to build on, if he took his time and had a plan. Instead he went with the old Flyer blueprint, buy or trade for veterans on the cusp of suckdom. It'll keep you competitive, but you won't win.

• Like 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Philly has too many good players to compete with the Sabres/Panthers etc in the McDavid sweepstakes. But I'm pretty sure he's going to be a damn good player. I don't think he's a generational talent or anything, but he should end up being similiar to Giroux. I'd take that on my team anyday.

As for the question of whether he can handle the pressure in Philly...this kid has had pressure on him for years now. He's been the consensus #1 pick in the 2015 draft for about 5 years. It hasn't taken away from his game one bit. If that doesn't affect a young teenager, I doubt NHL fans are going to.

Too bad Homer couldn't see he had some nice pieces to build on, if he took his time and had a plan. Instead he went with the old Flyer blueprint, buy or trade for veterans on the cusp of suckdom. It'll keep you competitive, but you won't win.

And that's the irony of the situation.  He left the team in a decent position with regards to having a good core to build around (Of course no cap space to do the actual building!), but to get there, he tore apart a pretty decent core that was already in place.  Granted, he had been chipping away at that core in the previous years, doing exactly what your post just said.  Homer had a few bright spots during his time as GM, but ultimately his philosophy brought the same results as the last 40 years.

• Like 1

Why does everybody rule this team out? They started off bad last year and righted the ship mid-way through the season. They are essentially the same team as last season without TImmonen. Chief is going to have a full camp and the defense may actually jell. As much as I like Timmonen, his health has been a concern for about three seasons now. Odds are he may not have held up the entire season and the Flyers would have been stuck playing a Phantoms call-up. 

Besides, from what we have witnessed they suck at loosing too, as in Patrick Kane says: "Yo! Philly, hide your cab drivers next time I'm in town"....