I saw an Eklund tweet about Oilers looking at Coburn, please be true

Mario99

@aziz  I don't know who the LA Kings GM was, but if he thought Aki Berg skated like Paul Coffey, he needed to be unemployed from that moment on. What a ridiculous comparison.

None of the guys you listed skates like Nurse, not one of them.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@flyercanuck  Well, I have to admit, Daigle was an impressive skater, had the dexterity and the ability to turn on a dime, had it all. Zherdev, while being an excellent, he has no where near the power that Nurse has in his stride. It's a thing of beauty to watch him turn on the afterburners, explosive does not even cover it. I don't think he's quite as fast as P.K....but he is close.

@aziz I don't know who the LA Kings GM was, but if he thought Aki Berg skated like Paul Coffey, he needed to be unemployed from that moment on. What a ridiculous comparison.

None of the guys you listed skates like Nurse, not one of them.

Ok, Bryan Fogarty, then?

The point isn't about individual skill sets. In fact, the point is that skill sets by themselves don't make an nhler. There is something else required, something intangible that isn't exposed or tested playing junior. There is no way to know if a given player has it (or doesn't) until they are on the ice against elite adult players, living the life of a full time major league professional hockey player. Until that trial by fire, projections are educated guesses.

It reminds me of counting cards while playing blackjack. You have an idea of what card is most likely to come up, reasons to think this is a good or bad hand to bet heavily, but you can still be wrong. No matter how good your reading is, how favorable the current count, you can still draw a 2. That being the case, imo, you should always bet cautiously. A top 4 dman, an interesting prospect, and a 1st round pick is throwing a lot of chips on the table.

@aziz  I don't think one championship team has been constructed without the GM sticking his neck out at some point. I get what you are saying, it's a great trait to be cautious and play it close to the vest, Lord knows we could have used some that type of thinking over the years. My 30+ years of watching young junior players says it would be a good trade, but like you said, until they get on the ice against elite stars, it's a crapshoot.

Should be interesting to see if Nurse develops into the franchise d-man I think he will be. Sometimes you gotta play the projection game to get a true star, that is where your scouts earn their keep and the GM makes his real money. Really, we should not even be talking about this, Nurse should already be a Flyer, had it not been for a few meaningless wins at the end of a lost season. At one point we were top 3, before the winning streak started.

Right. It's time to stop the Holmgren line of thinking, where a team asks about a player, so you put together a package that seems fair, then add more a second round pick to it before the guy even has a chance to accept.

I made it more precise, as I'm sure that's what you meant

@jammer2

And I don't think one championship team has been built by throwing 1st round picks in a great draft in on trades. Don't get me wrong jammer, I'm a big fan of Nurse. Sometimes though, the best defencemen are drafted later on. We never get them cause we're too busy trying to trade for the already made ones.

Really, we should not even be talking about this, Nurse should already be a Flyer, had it not been for a few meaningless wins at the end of a lost season. At one point we were top 3, before the winning streak started.

seth jones...f nurse.

just saying.

@mojo1917  Yeah, we were in a prime Jones spot at one time also. I'm probably one of the few living souls that thinks that Nurse will be a better pro than Jones, but time will tell....we should know for sure in 7 years or so...lol.

@jammer2

I wanted Nurse back in that draft. he was my "realistic " pick while the season was on...I figured Philly wasn't bad enough to get Mac/Drouin etc, but would still pick top ten. Then we had that run...oh well. 

don't even get me started on that end of season run.  Yeah it made the casual fan happy, most of us on here saw what it was....losing valuable space in the draft.  We could have had either Jones or Nurse.  But no they had to go on a winning streak...........

@jammer2

I'd also love to see Nurse in a Flyers uniform but giving up a 1st rounder for him especially when we don't know if the Flyers are playoff calibre or lottery pick. If the Oilers are seriously considering trading for Coburn, if I was Hextall I'd listen but the Flyers 1st rounder wouldn't be part of the conversation. The Oilers definitely need veteran defensemen to go along with their youth so acquiring Coburn would make sense but what are they willing to give up to get him.

One of the funnier things I have noticed during my time as a Flyers fan in the internet age is we don't value our players ... at all.

It's not like we need to rid ourselves of Coburn, and Edmonton and i'll bet 10 to 15 other teams would like to have Coburn on their roster.  

The Onus is on them (EDM ) to make an exciting trade package not the other way around.  

Coburn is big, skates and defends well, usually makes a good first pass  there's a lot to like, we see all his faults 'cause we watch him all the time, but he's a good hockey player.  I know he will make the odd bad decision and is not the best offensively.

Still, trading Nurse for him straight up is where you start; then maybe a prospect or later round pick, this nonsense of Coburn, our best prospect and first for a kid that will probably play major junior as a 19 yr old is absurd.

One of the funnier things I have noticed during my time as a Flyers fan in the internet age is we don't value our players ... at all.

It's not like we need to rid ourselves of Coburn, and Edmonton and i'll bet 10 to 15 other teams would like to have Coburn on their roster.

The Onus is on them (EDM ) to make an exciting trade package not the other way around.

Coburn is big, skates and defends well, usually makes a good first pass there's a lot to like, we see all his faults 'cause we watch him all the time, but he's a good hockey player. I know he will make the odd bad decision and is not the best offensively.

Still, trading Nurse for him straight up is where you start; then maybe a prospect or later round pick, this nonsense of Coburn, our best prospect and first for a kid that will probably play major junior as a 19 yr old is absurd.

Some really good points mojo. I'll be the first to admit I sometimes either overvalue and or undervalue players. Maybe the real reason as you suggested is that we really are too close to the situation. So if you are Edmonton what would you offer for the services of Coburn?

Archived