Roussel hits Stalock, then punches ref tied up Braun in face

J0e Th0rnton

I am pretty certain that Roussel is French for Douchebag.

Wasnt there a Flyer goalie named Roussel?? One of the nicest guys you could meet (not a good goalie- other than one outstanding year). Just hate to see a last name dragged through the mud.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he wants to play like a 3rd d-man, he is fair game. As a forward, I make the exact same play. I hate the way the league protects the goalie. They have their "safety" area. If they want to get involved in the play outside of that area, they are fare game (no different than any other skater on the ice).

Like I said. I agree. If we are talking a standard body check. Not contact the face(Even with a mask). That would be a roughing penalty.

Goalie equipment is designed to stop a small low weight object from doing damage at high velocities, not a 200+ pound man skating full tilt. If you took a 50 pound bean bag and swiped it at a goalies head when he was not looking, it would cause a head snapping effect. A 200 pound man skating several miles an hour even more so. The equipment also hinders your ability to control an unexpected fall by making you cumbersome.

I agree the goalie SHOULD be fair game when he leaves the crease but that is not the rule. Not sure what penalties were handed out but in todays game that is still goalie interference. I will cheer for anyone who can get Doucheboy to drop the gloves but I don't think you will ever get to see that....

But why? He is 4 feet outside of his crease and playing the puck. It was not a hit from behind and he was not in his "protected" area. It was a bang / bang play, but as a forward, I make that exact same play.

Like I said. I agree. If we are talking a standard body check. Not contact the face(Even with a mask). That would be a roughing penalty.

Goalie equipment is designed to stop a small low weight object from doing damage at high velocities, not a 200+ pound man skating full tilt. If you took a 50 pound bean bag and swiped it at a goalies head when he was not looking, it would cause a head snapping effect. A 200 pound man skating several miles an hour even more so. The equipment also hinders your ability to control an unexpected fall by making you cumbersome.

C'mon Joe, all the other skaters on the ice wear 10x less protection than a goalie. Christ, when I played our shoulder pads with nothing more than padded cotton. If a goalie wants to play outside of his protected area, he is fair game.

C'mon Joe, all the other skaters on the ice wear 10x less protection than a goalie. Christ, when I played our shoulder pads with nothing more than padded cotton. If a goalie wants to play outside of his protected area, he is fair game.

And again, the equipment is cumbersome and makes it hard to control a fall than a regular skater. But like I said, if it was a shoulder to chest check, I would not complain if it were legal.

Maybe I'm wrong, but what I'm seeing is a goalie swinging his stick AT FACE LEVEL and a guy throwing his arms up to protect himself. If he really wanted to take out the goalie, would he really go after his arm? I'm not trying to stick up for Roussel here...I'm sticking up for players going after a puck and having a goalie stick swung at face level.

Roussel has a hearing on Monday for the sucker punch to Braun.

Good. He deseres it. Very Suspension worthy. Hit on Stalok, out of the crease, goalie should be treated like any body else. Plus, IMHO Stalock sold it a bit.

Doesn't excuse the douchery of Roussel however. For the play on Braun, he deserves what he gets.

Maybe I'm wrong, but what I'm seeing is a goalie swinging his stick AT FACE LEVEL and a guy throwing his arms up to protect himself. If he really wanted to take out the goalie, would he really go after his arm? I'm not trying to stick up for Roussel here...I'm sticking up for players going after a puck and having a goalie stick swung at face level.

That was kind of my point. Stalock had his stick swinging in mid air. As to Joe's comment about the goalie would not have shot the puck over the glass if he hadn't been interfered with, i call BS on that.

But like i also said, i would kill for my Wings,just once in my lifetime going forward to have an instigater jerk like that who can play. Been forever, SHanny, but he was skilled and you didn't want him off the ice. Kocur and Probie were the last, a few mnutes of slugs like Brad May and Stu Grimson. But give me a third liner who everyone hates. That is all i really want.

Same page here.

Good. He deseres it. Very Suspension worthy. Hit on Stalok, out of the crease, goalie should be treated like any body else. Plus, IMHO Stalock sold it a bit.

Doesn't excuse the douchery of Roussel however. For the play on Braun, he deserves what he gets.

Agreed on both points.

That was kind of my point. Stalock had his stick swinging in mid air. As to Joe's comment about the goalie would not have shot the puck over the glass if he hadn't been interfered with, i call BS on that.

But like i also said, i would kill for my Wings,just once in my lifetime going forward to have an instigater jerk like that who can play. Been forever, SHanny, but he was skilled and you didn't want him off the ice. Kocur and Probie were the last, a few mnutes of slugs like Brad May and Stu Grimson. But give me a third liner who everyone hates. That is all i really want.

For me, it was a bang bang hockey play. The sucker punch in the scrum afterwards was BS. I dont even mind the scrum- even if a clean hit, you still stand up for your goalie, but that sucker punch was over the top.

Roussel is still damn lucky Thornton was piggybacking another player at the time. Thornton doesn't fight as much as he used to since Lindros TKO'd him, but he could smoke Roussel with ease.

While not excusing Roussel, the linesman need to let scrums happen. I miss the days of a good bench clearing brawl.

Looks like he could also break somebodys face with those plays. Pretty dangerous with that big paddle.

Yeah - that was actualy my first reaction. Stalock could end a career swinging his stick that that.  Heck - you could argue that he (Roussell) was just going after a loose puck and reacted to a big paddle being swung (not intentionally) at his mug.

I have a much bigger problem with the sucker punch to Braun who was basically defenseless because of how the ref had a hold of him in an effort to break up the fight.

ok, but he looks like a baseball coach teeing up ground balls. Playing the puck is one thing, but that was a stupid play all the way around.

Completely agree. The goalie made a weird play and the stick swinging around IMHO had at least a small part in Roussel jacking his jaw. Not excusing Roussel, he is still an ass clown, but that was one strange play by Stalock.

Completely agree. The goalie made a weird play and the stick swinging around IMHO had at least a small part in Roussel jacking his jaw. Not excusing Roussel, he is still an ass clown, but that was one strange play by Stalock.

Nothing happens if Stalock either freezes the puck or pushes it to the corner. Roussel is a jackass, but Stalock was dumber than wood on that play.

Honestly if Stalock doesn't swing that stick up like that it never happens. Looks to me like Roussel brings his arms up to protect his face from the stick than to strike at Stalock. He's just right on top if him at that point.

Stalock clearly embellished going down like he took a round to the head.

The rest is a big so what? Vlasic seemed game but The rest of the Sharks pretended to be upset. Braun half-heatedly engaged, Thornton threw a half-arsed elbow up... Not much to speak of.

I think some context is warranted here...the Sharks could not win a draw to save their asses...freezing the puck wouldn't provide any relief from the pressure. So all the well he shoulda coulda wouldas about Stalock to me have little merit... so he played the puck a little differently than everyone else. he had a bunch of centers that were being pwnd in the dot and wanted to change the direction of the play.  at least he tried something to help the skaters. faulting Stalock is like faulting a bug for hitting your windshield.  

Roussel's sucker punch on Braun was the lowest of the low. that cat better have his head on swivel the next time those teams play.

Archived