Game #23 FLYERS at NYR 1:00 pm EST

pilldoc

So I even debated to whether post a pre-game write up considering how bad this team is.  I haven't posted one in quite some time due to other commitments and just did not have the time.  This team is bad.  Folks we are in the bottom 5 of league only 3 points above the Sabres / Oilers and 5 points above the Blue Jackets.  There is nothing in the iniment future to suggest that this is going change anytime soon.  I'm sure there are several AHL clubs right now that can beat this team.  I do think they finally get "A" goal.

Rangers 4

Flyers 1

Let the march to McDavid begin......

PS what the hell do you call this line ????

36 Zac Rinaldo - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 40 Vincent Lecavalier  ------> train wreck, this is so bad I don't even know where to start. :confused[1]:

From Bill Meltzer

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-112914--NYR-Phantoms-and-Flyers-Alumni-Updates/45/64380

PREVIEW: FLYERS @ RANGERS

Having been shut out three times in the last six games, the Philadelphia Flyers (8-11-3) will try to restore a measure of self-respect coming off yesterday's nationally televised 3-0 home loss to the New York Rangers (10-8-4). The two teams will rematch today at Madison Square Garden. Game time is 1:00 p.m. EST. The game will be televised on CSN Philadelphia.

This is the third of four meetings between the teams this season, and the third within the month of November. The season series concludes on Feb. 28 at the Wells Fargo Center.

On Nov. 19 in New York, the Rangers dominated the Flyers for two-plus periods and went on capture a 2-0 win that was only that close because of spectacular goaltending by Philadelphia netminder Steve Mason (32 saves). The Flyers goalie had no chance on either Kevin Klein's even strength goal in the first period or Rick Nash's power play tally in the middle stanza. Backup New York goaltender Cam Talbot earned a 31-save shutout, making 13 of his saves in the third period.

Yesterday, the Flyers fell apart again and made life easy on Talbot en route to 26-save shutout in which he faced only a couple of bonafide scoring chances (most of the better chances got blocked or missed the net by several feet).

A first period power play goal by Dan Boyle through a heavy screen gave New York a lead they would ride for the final 53:50 of the game. Derek Stepan earned the first of his three primary assists in the game.

In the second period, a fat rebound on a Stepan right circle shot was claimed and stashed home by Martin St. Louis at the 4:14 mark. Any chance the Flyers had at a third period comeback evaporated during a four-minute power play early in the period. Philadelphia's top power play unit yielded a 3-on-1 rush that was finished off by Rick Nash.

Things won't get any easier for the Flyers in terms of schedule difficulty after completing the home-and-home with the Rangers. The team embarks next week on a California road trip that will take the team through San Jose on Tuesday, Anaheim on Wednesday and Los Angeles on Saturday. The Flyers will then make a Dec. 9 stop in Columbus before returning home for three games.

The Rangers schedule will lighten considerably -- in volume, not in difficulty -- for nearly the two weeks after the home-and-home with Philly. Between Nov. 30 and Dec. 12, there are just three games on the docket. New York will host Tampa Bay next Monday, have four nights idle before traveling to Detroit next Saturday, host Pittsburgh on Dec. 8 and then have four more idle nights before embarking on a three-game road trip through western Canada.

Flyers outlook

The Flyers have been a mess ever since a five-night break of their own in November. In the eight games that have followed, the team has posted a 1-6-1 record. They have not led at any point in seven games they have lost.

Usually, when a team is in a losing skid, they can at least build upon certain things they are doing well and simplify the rest of their game to stay competitive. Of late, quite frankly, there has been very little salvageable from any of the losses except the one to Minnesota last Thursday.

The Flyers overrely on their top line, top power play unit and their goaltenders to bear the entire burden. When those facets do not shine in spectacular fashion, the team has been losing ugly. Too many Flyers players look they are waiting for something else to save them. Too many players aren't skating, forechecking or defending up to NHL standards -- not even NHL playoff caliber standards, but like players who even belong in the league.

Steve Mason was average in yesterday's game. The rebound on the second goal was a bad one (then again, it is allowed for defenders to help out by clearing the puck to safety). The Nash goal came on a 3-on-1 rush but the back end of the play looked like tough but possibly makeable momentum save.

Yesterday, out-of-favor right winger Jason Akeson cleared waivers and was assigned to the AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms. On the Flyers' injury front, Chris VandeVelde (lower body) is on injured reserve. Defenseman Luke Schenn has been a healthy scratch the last two games, along with fellow blueliner Carlo Colaiacovo.

FLYERS

10 Brayden Schenn - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
12 Michael Raffl - 49 Scott Laughton - 17 Wayne Simmonds
18 R.J. Umberger - 14 Sean Couturier - 24 Matt Read
36 Zac Rinaldo - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 40 Vincent Lecavalier

5 Braydon Coburn - 47 Andrew MacDonald
8 Nicklas Grossmann - 32 Mark Streit
15 Michael Del Zotto - 55 Nick Schultz

29 Ray Emery
[35 Steve Mason]

Scratches: Luke Schenn (healthy), Carlo Colaiacovo (healthy), Chris VandeVelde (lower body, IR).

New 4th line will be VLC centering, Bumberger and Rinaldo 7-9 minutes a night.

I wish Berube had the balls to just scratch all 3!!!! He could but they'd have to waive someone.....just dress 8 Dmen and let CC and Luke skate on the 4th....HAHA

So the Flyers immediately move him to Center, because as we all know the Flyers can never have enough centers! :P

Yes and they move their young center to wing....makes no sense.

Lets draft a punter and make him a place kicker!!!!!!!!

Someone mentioned a while back that Luke always double pumps before taking a shot, and now that's all I can see! 

Why does he do that? On shots, passes, whatever. It's like he has a rare combination of no hockey skill and no hockey IQ.

I'm sure it stems from a lack of confidence.

Yeah the number one defenseman lets Nash sit in the crease to screen the goaltender with Coburn holding his hand and helping with the screen.....and Mcdud gets scratched...............Bellemare scratched....yet VLC and RJ get to play....please for the love of God fire Berube he is clueless.

Yeah the number one defenseman lets Nash sit in the crease to screen the goaltender with Coburn holding his hand and helping with the screen.....and Mcdud gets scratched...............Bellemare scratched....yet VLC and RJ get to play....please for the love of God fire Berube he is clueless.

That you for putting into words exactly what I was thinking... Berube is grasping at straws.

Yes guys i try not not to play favorites i don't care sometimes the truth hurts....but this team sucks....how for the love of God Vinny and RJ have not been scratched once is proof they ain't playin fair holding everyone accountable.

Just like my Gamecocks starting QB is garbage....yet Spurrier won't bench him keeps putting him out there to play like schitt over and over again....thank God my Eagles beat the Cowturds it's all i got.

Someone mentioned a while back that Luke always double pumps before taking a shot, and now that's all I can see! 

Why does he do that? On shots, passes, whatever. It's like he has a rare combination of no hockey skill and no hockey IQ.

I'm sure it stems from a lack of confidence.

For sure, double pumping should be part of the arsenal, thrown in 2 out of 100 shots to keep the defense honest. If you have Luke's skill set, you should just be concentrating on getting the puck on net with two key components involved....accurately and as quickly as possible. All the double pump does is give opponents a better chance to block it and gives the goalie more time to set up properly. Plus, the book is out on the double pumps, so forwards covering the point can fully commit to laying out to block the shot with any worry about being stepped around and looking dumb. My big question, why has the coaching staff not forbid this brutal stragety by Luke??

Archived