James Neal first player named and shamed for diving

flyercanuck

So James Neal becomes the first ever NHLer to be fined for diving. I know, its tough to believe that such a class act as Mr. Neal would do this. Heres the article from Hockey News along with the video..

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/preds-james-neal-first-player-to-be-named-shamed-under-nhls-anti-diving-push/

Now I know it looks pretty embarrassing...a little tap and then he launches himself....but in Neals defence....could he just be trying to knee the rink here?

Yay....James Kneel  is now the answer to a hockey trivia question!

Anyways, at the very least, if Sir James finds he can no longer play hockey, there might be a spot on the Canadian Olympic team for watersports.

Has Canada won gold on the Springboard event? If not, they should give James a call....

Let this be a warning to all NHL players....leave your wetsuits, flippers, goggles, and skull caps in the locker room...do NOT bring them out to the ice...

:rolleyes:

I can only hope that those calls and fines will be as contaigious as the mumps............

The only fly in the ointment I can see here is that the refs may start calling bogus diving calls on players that were legitimately tripped up and the player tried doing something to help break his fall.

I can tell you from personal Hapkido experience that if you try to properly break a fall, you MAY have to sometimes direct your body in such a way that, during a game, it may appear to be a 'dive'.

And we all know how good our NHL officials are with consistency....these diving penalties and subsequent fines gives them another forum to further display their mastery of consistency.

I like the intend of this, I just worry a bit how it will be applied, but yea, down with the divers....errrr, no pun intended....

So James Neal becomes the first ever NHLer to be fined for diving. I know, its tough to believe that such a class act as Mr. Neal would do this. Heres the article from Hockey News along with the video..

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/preds-james-neal-first-player-to-be-named-shamed-under-nhls-anti-diving-push/

Now I know it looks pretty embarrassing...a little tap and then he launches himself....but in Neals defence....could he just be trying to knee the rink here?

AlarmedFragrantAndeancockoftherock.gif

Yup. Pretty blatant lol. Not as bad as the Pirouette Zubrus did back in 2004 that Don Cherry called "The dive of dives", but close.

I absolutely *LOVE* this shaming. This is a man's sport....you want to play like a little sissy, go ply your trade in another sport. This is a strong message, these guys all have huge egos....naming and shaming players...leaving them vulnerable to being looked down upon by their piers.....well, this is the biggest move towards cleaning up this sport once and for all. I support his 100%, a rare solid move by the NHL's upper echelon of decision makers.

I absolutely *LOVE* this shaming. This is a man's sport....you want to play like a little sissy, go ply your trade in another sport. This is a strong message, these guys all have huge egos....naming and shaming players...leaving them vulnerable to being looked down upon by their piers.....well, this is the biggest move towards cleaning up this sport once and for all. I support his 100%, a rare solid move by the NHL's upper echelon of decision makers.

You know, to make the whole shaming thing complete, there should ALWAYS be a dedicated group of front row glass fans at any given arena ready with big number scorecards to judge on the quality of the dive....and the tv cameras should seek these intrepid fans out so the rest of the viewing audience can see the masters of pools and springboards at work...

toonvectors-11238-940.jpg

You know, if these accumulate at a good enough rate, the NHL may want to consider adding another award to go along with the Rocket Richard, Art Ross, Lady Byng, etc...

The Scuba Award...and it could be a highly polished bronzed pair of flippers.....

Or maybe THIS trophy....oh, yes, shame would be complete... :D

c001f926f9da028178bf18b3e10b49fd.jpg

Like I said, *real* men are supposed to be playing this sport.....

Damn right.

Sadly, it is just as visible in MMA. Back in the old days of the UFC, before they wore, you know, cups, guys would get smashed in the balls and try to bravely act like they were not hurt. Nowdays, it is a point game. Guys trying to outpoint other fighters and call to attention every single possible foul. Even though they wear cups, and often the supposed groin shot misses, they go down like they are shot. Or Eye pokes. Or knees to the head.

Remember Koscheck going down like he was almost killed after Daley's knee to downed opponent?

method=get&s=josh-koscheck-paul-daley.gi

The beauty of it was, after the fight, Daley was the first guy banned from the UFC for attacking after the bell had rung. He was that pissed off at Koscheck for dry humping him 3 rounds and faking eye pokes and like he was shot by that knee.

6f9gr4.jpg

Quite honestly, I wish someone would tomahawk a player with their stick sometimes with the blatant dives.

You know, if these accumulate at a good enough rate, the NHL may want to consider adding another award to go along with the Rocket Richard, Art Ross, Lady Byng, etc...

The Scuba Award...and it could be a highly polished bronzed pair of flippers.....

Or maybe THIS trophy....oh, yes, shame would be complete... :D

c001f926f9da028178bf18b3e10b49fd.jpg

A hall of shame would be a nice idea. Throw all the dirty old hit and hide artists like Samuelsson in with the blatant divers.

Trophies for divers is a start.

A hall of shame would be a nice idea. Throw all the dirty old hit and hide artists like Samuelsson in with the blatant divers.

Trophies for divers is a start.

Samuelsson served a role all teams needed back then. Knock him if you like, he has two Cups to his name because he intimidated the crap out of opponents. Nobody took liberties with our star players when he skated. It was like Mutually Assured Destruction. You hurt Lemieux or Jagr, say goodbye to your all stars as well. It wasn't a perfect system, but you had fewer star players getting taken out by dirty hits.

Samuelsson served a role all teams needed back then. Knock him if you like, he has two Cups to his name because he intimidated the crap out of opponents. Nobody took liberties with our star players when he skated. It was like Mutually Assured Destruction. You hurt Lemieux or Jagr, say goodbye to your all stars as well. It wasn't a perfect system, but you had fewer star players getting taken out by dirty hits.

I don't think it worked that way at all.

Nobody was afraid of Samuelsson in the traditional tough guy sense. They were worried about him because he ended careers with his stick and knees.

Nobody was afraid to hit Lemieux dirty because of Samuelsson. Everyone knew Samuelsson would be trying to injure players regardless of if you hit Lemieux. In today's NHL, he would be suspended and eventually banned because he is probably the worst offender of all time.

Completely agree. Oddly, I think Neal is a douche but always wished Samuelsson was on my team. Hard nosed bastard. Huge respect for that.

For all the other names on those Cup teams, he was probably just as important as any of them save probably only Mario.

Used to do this quite a bit in Pittsburgh from what I remember. Just a very emotional player that shows it in not so great ways at times. James Neal is a hell of a player with one of the best shots in the National Hockey League..he needs to stop doing this and more of just going on the ice and playing the game. Good fine.

Pens don't allow divers on the roster.

:ph34r:

Any other reason they'd give up a goal scoring talent from Malkin's line? One that Malkin was clearly happy about playing alongside? I don't think so. He took that suspension after their sit down and was odd man out for awhile till they traded him after the season. I give them credit for having the guts to do it.

They also let Cooke walk after his contract and got nothing in return. You don't have to like the organization, but they handle most things pretty well.

Any other reason they'd give up a goal scoring talent from Malkin's line? One that Malkin was clearly happy about playing alongside? I don't think so. He took that suspension after their sit down and was odd man out for awhile till they traded him after the season. I give them credit for having the guts to do it.

They also let Cooke walk after his contract and got nothing in return. You don't have to like the organization, but they handle most things pretty well.

Meanwhile....Downies on pace for 345 pims.... ;)

Meanwhile....Downies on pace for 345 pims.... ;)

I can't stand him. I thought he'd be gone by now, but he's got 17 points and this far has few real stupid penalties... Can we trade him back to you guys? He's be tied with Couturier for fifth in scoring among your forwards...

And Farnham.

If the Pens really want to keep it clean why bring up a guy with 29 points over 3 years in the A....and 550 pims :thumbsu:

I like Farnham a LOT. Not dirty. Not cheap. Just a LOT of energy and grit. The kid is a lift every time he's on the ice, and draws penalties quite well. Nothing like Downie!

Archived