After careful consideration.... (and encapsulating it)

idahophilly

Without a glimmer of sarcasm or smarm, I'm all for Rinaldo on the first line with Giroux and Jake. Seriously. Why not?

But not in Giroux's absence.

Well... I had to chew on that one but actually you ask the right question. Why not? Nothing else has worked and this likely won't either but for 2 games who cares at this point.

I hope they are not damaging Laughton's psyche though...

Well... I had to chew on that one but actually you ask the right question. Why not? Nothing else has worked and this likely won't either but for 2 games who cares at this point.

Exactly.

And well-placed concern about Laughton, too.

Why would they be damaging Laughton's psyche?

Anyone who has the top pick and trades it is an idiot IMO. McDavid or Eichel are going to be GREAT players. Watching McDavid do some of the things he does at 17...wait til he's 20 and has another 15-20 lbs and an inch or two. 

You want either of these two, you better earn it through complete suckage.

While I agree wholeheartedly with your statement, to be fair Edmonton hasn't exactly been the best at developing their 1st over all picks in recent years. If I were either McDavid or Eichel I'd be channeling Bonnie and Carl Lindros and making sure that I do not wind up in Edmonton. 

While I agree wholeheartedly with your statement, to be fair Edmonton hasn't exactly been the best at developing their 1st over all picks in recent years. If I were either McDavid or Eichel I'd be channeling Bonnie and Carl Lindros and making sure that I do not wind up in Edmonton. 

Edmontons #1 picks have included Taylor Hall, who can play on my team anyday...RNH who is a small skilled center nowhere near  Mcdavid or Eichels league to begin with IMO and Yakupov who's development seems to be in his own head. Two of their #1s have been in less than stellar draft years, as far as #1s go.

McDavid has already said he will play wherever he is drafted. Him and Hall would make one fast lethal combo.

I thought Raffl was the can't-miss top line LW of the future...?

:ph34r:

Forgive my air of indifference here...but I don't give a rip where anyone plays at this moment.  Berube is clueless and outside of a few players, all of them can be headed to other teams as far as I care.....  With the way Berube changes lines and his mind every game, I have no clue who is playing where any more. Does it even really matter any more??

Bottom line..this team sucks donkley balls......we just have to endure another 40 or so games.......

This is about what I expected going into the season, though the standings results are a bit worse and the on-ice results are atrocious. I have seen a few promising things from individuals - Schenn, Couturier, and Voracek are on pace to top their best point totals, Simmonds is looking at 30 goals this year, so it's not all bad from an individual perspective. But watching this team, I see nothing cohesive, nothing that says they're a team. Homer cobbled together enough spare parts to build something, the problem is some parts are for a Maserati, and some are for a Pinto. And some you're not sure which they're actually for. You can force them all together, but one bump and they come apart again.

If I'm Hextall, I deal what older guys I can to clear cap during the season, embrace the horrorTM and see how things fall in the draft. Then in FA I'm looking to bring in a couple vets who can provide some stability and leadership to the younger guys. Maybe I swing a trade, depending on what I feel I have and whether I can part with a Schenn to bring in someone who will be better suited to what I'm trying to build. But that's pretty much how I've looked at the whole season.

RE: The draft: Keep in mind that there's no guarantee that MacDavid ends up in Edmonton. Since the lottery was implemented, the worst team has only won the lottery about 34% of the time, which should regress statistically to be close to the percentage chance for the worst team to win, somewhere between 20 and 25 percent. Now, a few of those times the worst team retained the pick because of a limit on the number of spots you could move up, but that limit is gone. Add to that the fact that the worst team's percentage to win was reduced this year from 25% to 20%, and it's anything but a done deal. Of course, if they lose, there's still Eichel, so...

A few lottery tidbits:

The teams with the highest finish to win the lottery were Chicago and NJ, both at 8 (moved up to 4th).

Florida has held the first pick three times, each time having won the lottery (3rd worst in 2002, 4th in 2003, 2nd in 2014). They traded away the selection two of the three times, once to Colombus (Nash) and once to Pittsburgh (Fleury). The one time they had the worst record (2013), Colorado jumped them.

The Islanders jumped from 5th to first in 2000 (DiPietro). Only one other team has done that. Stupid Chicago.

Archived