After careful consideration.... (and encapsulating it)

idahophilly

Greetings:

I think he fails to mention one point that need raising--the forwards aren't as good as we thought.  We entered the season knowing the D was lacking.  But we said..."there are seven 20 goal scorers...that means depth....."  Well, I don't see more than may two twenty goal scorers this year.  This makes rebuild more difficulty to the extent the Reads, Simmond, and Raffls may not be as great as we thought.

Peace,

Howie

Columbus, Edmonton and Carolina all won tonight. Arizona won last night.

Dare to dream baby, dare to dream.

The Race for McDavid / Eichel........

35 pts Flyers

35 pts Devils

34 pts Coyotes

31 pts Sabres

28 pts Canes

27 pts Oilers

McDavid / Eichel might be a reach...for now...but this team can easily be top 5 and draft a really really good player.......

The Race for McDavid / Eichel........

35 pts Flyers

35 pts Devils

34 pts Coyotes

31 pts Sabres

28 pts Canes

27 pts Oilers

McDavid / Eichel might be a reach...for now...but this team can easily be top 5 and draft a really really good player.......

I wonder if the Flyers could get creative and offer say, Edmonton or Carolina or Buffalo say, Couturier and/or Coburn and a swap of 1st round picks.

If they are bad enough to land in the bottom four, I can see a trade (at the draft) that can secure the top pick. Again they will need to finish in the bottom four for this to happen. 

Say they land the 4th overall pick, trade that, a solid roster player (anyone at this point), and a solid prospect and they should be able to move to 1st or 2nd overall. 

Hopefully Hextall can move some dead weight at the deadline and this team will have some cap relief. 

However, that is fantasy. The reality is this will be the 2012-13 season all over again. They will be bad enough to miss the playoffs, but good enough to be picking around 12-15. With that said, they'd have to sell the farm to secure the top pick. 

Poopville USA

Anyone who has the top pick and trades it is an idiot IMO. McDavid or Eichel are going to be GREAT players. Watching McDavid do some of the things he does at 17...wait til he's 20 and has another 15-20 lbs and an inch or two. 

You want either of these two, you better earn it through complete suckage.

Howdy:

Draft picks aside, Seravalli's article is not a pleasant read. It is nothing new.  In fact--if you read the comments that follow it's clear most knowledgeable fans new this season was a disaster in the making and that Homer's contracts were multi-albatross.  But for a local journalist to offer nothing but blood, sweat, and tears--that is a bit disconcerting if I am in the Flyers Org an eye zhation.  And as some here and in the comments note, Homer's promotion seems to fly in the face of his body of work.

That said, my backyard Panthers, who are finally turning it around, are an example of thoughtful draft picks with a sprinkling of good veterans can really make a difference.  It has taken Tallon a half decade but it's happening.  On that score, the article may be important for restating the obvious.  But I wonder if Comcast-Spectacor, Comcast, the fans, and current senior management of the team can tolerate a patient turnaround.

What I also like about the article relates to the history angle I've raised here before.  Our glory years were in a different era.  I say that "current" history started after the first strike.  I am unsure if senior management "gets it." Yes Virginia, there is a salary cap.  And we can't hide bums in the minors.  And speed/skill mean more than body strength.  If the mindset doesn't change, our performance won't either. 

Howie

What I also like about the article relates to the history angle I've raised here before. Our glory years were in a different era. I say that "current" history started after the first strike. I am unsure if senior management "gets it." Yes Virginia, there is a salary cap. And we can't hide bums in the minors. And speed/skill mean more than body strength. If the mindset doesn't change, our performance won't either.

Great post Howie and Happy New Year to you!

I think you are spot on in your assesment regarding the "different era" of hockey.   The only faith I can muster (and that is fading quickly) is that Hextall saw what an Stanley Cup Organization looked like while he spent his days in LA.    Other than that I really have no faith that anyone else knows how to develop a Team in this club.  

Homer bastardized this team for years to come with his poor decisions and there is nothing we can do as fans but wait and hope.   I guess (maybe?) that it is a good sign that Hextall has not made any knee-jerk reactions but then again he might be asking way too much for the slop that is currently on the ice in Philly.  

It remains to be seen if Hextall is a good GM.  I hope he is but it is going to take some patience to undue years of the Homercoaster  (as rad likes to say)

It certainly isn't anything new to any Flyers fan (hell, any hockey fan for that matter) that the Flyers are in purgatory. I just though he summoned it up well. There isn't even a light at the end of the tunnel...

I know how you feel idaho... The trade deadline is the most important thing for this club.  If it passes by and we have the same - or close to the same roster - we are screwed.   There needs to be a purge here.  All of the bad contracts (McDud, Vinny, RJ, etc...) are going to be very tough to move.  Players like Coburn need to be shown the door but my fear is that Hextall is going to ask too much in a trade.  

It is a tough situation for sure...  Come the trade deadline this Team could simply be the same roster which is scary as hell to think about for the future.  

I am not even going to get into Berube b/c he should be "dead man walking" right now.  As soon as the season ends he is done.  He about as useless as one of Homer's bad contracts.

If that rumor is true and he puts Rinaldo on the top line for even one game while Giroux is out I'm gonna freak out. 

careful idaho... a lot of peeps around these parts think Rinaldo could be good on the first.  Frankly, I dont think he should even be on the 4th line but that is just me.  

@idahophilly

@murraycraven

Rinaldo on the 1st line scares the living bejeebus out of me....... I will literally scratch my eyes out.  I know it is difficult, but we need to let the season ride out.  Pray for a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd draft pick...send Berube on his way and hope for the best.  I am praying Hexy knows what to do, because watching this team is extremely difficult. 

Someway for sure..they need to find a way to get Corpseburger™ and Vinny off this team by the end of this season.

the one thing I fear is this team will go on a winning streak like the other year and screw up this teams draft position.  That is what I fear worse!

@idahophilly

@murraycraven

Rinaldo on the 1st line scares the living bejeebus out of me....... I will literally scratch my eyes out.  I know it is difficult, but we need to let the season ride out.  Pray for a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd draft pick...send Berube on his way and hope for the best.  I am praying Hexy knows what to do, because watching this team is extremely difficult. 

Someway for sure..they need to find a way to get Corpseburger and Vinny off this team by the end of this season.

the one thing I fear is this team will go on a winning streak like the other year and screw up this teams draft position.  That is what I fear worse!

doc,

I will be SHOCKED if this Team gets a pick in the top 3 pick as much as I would be SHOCKED if they found a way top mover VLC and/or RJ this year.   I am just so apathetic to this Team that I try and care... but then I watch 10 minutes of the game and turn it off!  It is hard to watch and I could take is a bit lighter if I knew there was an end in sight.  

The deadline to me is the most crucial aspect of this Team's future right now.   There are too many lollipops and not enough suckers out there right now.

careful idaho... a lot of peeps around these parts think Rinaldo could be good on the first.

Name one.

I like Rinaldo and think he can be a role guy, but NO ONE thinks that he's a first liner. No chance.

Name one.

I like Rinaldo and think he can be a role guy, but NO ONE thinks that he's a first liner. No chance.

Pods....

It was in jest doom. Relax... I am glad he can skate hard but it does not change the fact he is devoid of talent.

Back to your qurstion: if no one thinks it is a good idea than why does the head coach think it is?

Pods....

It was in jest doom. Relax... I am glad he can skate hard but it does not change the fact he is devoid of talent.

Back to your qurstion: if no one thinks it is a good idea than why does the head coach think it is?

Berube may very well be down to the literal last option?

Berube may very well be down to the literal last option?

Lol! Yeah... That is brilliant.

Meanwhile you could put Vinny in the middle and Schenn on the wing... Or plenty of other options.

Keep thinking Berube is fine... We will get a better pick that way.

Archived