Phil Kessel: Done in Toronto?

ihabs1993

I still like the idea of Kessel for Suter.

The Wild must be getting desperate for some changes. Their team sucks and they're not going anywhere fast. The Leafs aren't going anywhere with a team that's #1 in GPG and #25 in GAA.

Sooner or later, MLSE will realize that they need a #1 defenceman more than anything else on this team. While they may be hard to get, they're not impossible. Any trade is possible if you're willing to part with enough assets. A package of say Kessel + Gardiner for Suter would be more than fair value for Minnesota.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring him to Buffalo to join this young team that will be loaded next year.  McDavid or Eichel will be coming and with Terry and Kim Pegula being a great owner team, why not.  Anyone that does not want to now play for the Sabres and Bills is crazy

Sure! Kessel to the Sabres in exchange for your first round draft pick this year.  :cool[1]:

Sure thing.  You can have either the Islanders pick or the St Louis Blues pick, both of which we won their number one.  How about that?  No way are you getting McDavid or Eichel.  

Oh Jeez, I forgot the Sabres stockpiled 1st round picks in this draft! If scouting nails this, they could have a dynamic trio of players in a few years. But yeah, Toronto can't trade their way out of this mess. They need a rebuild; not one based on trades and free agency, but one based on drafting and developing elite talent. This is something the Leafs have been horrid at for some time now. Before the 2014 NHL Draft, the Leafs were terrible at drafting in the first round. Hope the same doesn't happen to Nylander.

@ihabs1993

Nylanders having a tough time adjusting to the speed and physicality of the AHL. It was something some considered a knock on him pre-draft...that maybe he wouldn't be able to handle that. Time will tell.

He's so young, it would be unfair to judge him now. He should adapt.

Sure thing.  You can have either the Islanders pick or the St Louis Blues pick, both of which we won their number one.  How about that?  No way are you getting McDavid or Eichel.  

It's an interesting choice though isn't it?  You don't know what McDavid is going to be. He could be great, average, or a flop. Kessel is a proven commodity. You know exactly what he is, and he's pretty darn good. What are the odds that McDavid will ever be better than Kessel? He certainly could be, but odds are he won't be. It's a tough call.  :)

Nylander is having a tough time adjusting to the speed of the AHL? He was the fastest player on the ice Friday night, I think maybe expectations are a little high for him. Also, he's not there to light up the AHL, he's there to get used to the North American game. As for Kessel, if you can get something close to the right value for him, trade him, if you can't, hang on to him. Main concern right now is moving Franson, Santorelli, and Winnik before you lose them for nothing. Then trade Bozak before the entire league realizes that he isn't what they thought he was. Then move Lupul if you can get a 1st and a prospect for him. Then in the summer see if you can't move Phaneuf for a decent return.

Nylander is having a tough time adjusting to the speed of the AHL? He was the fastest player on the ice Friday night, I think maybe expectations are a little high for him. Also, he's not there to light up the AHL, he's there to get used to the North American game. As for Kessel, if you can get something close to the right value for him, trade him, if you can't, hang on to him. Main concern right now is moving Franson, Santorelli, and Winnik before you lose them for nothing. Then trade Bozak before the entire league realizes that he isn't what they thought he was. Then move Lupul if you can get a 1st and a prospect for him. Then in the summer see if you can't move Phaneuf for a decent return.

Nice first Post!

Welcome

I think the Nylander and the leafs made a great choice by moving him to the AHL.  They need to see if he can be their future Sundin.

The only issue I have with moving Nylander to the AHL is the idea that a guy who is a career AHLer who wants to make his name by laying a big hit on the top prospect. We don't need him having concussion issues.

Look at it another way: he learns to keep his head up in the AHL so that he doesn't get clobbered by a Scot Stevens-like NHLer. No?

Welcome to the forum!  :)

I agree. The time to start moving players out is now. The Leafs should be the busiest team in the NHL leading up the deadline with a firesale for the ages.

The Leafs should be the busiest team in the NHL leading up the deadline with a firesale for the ages.

The only issue there is that you need to have a market and something that people want to buy.

A fire sale on assets no one wants isn't going to be very effective.

Does anyone really want Kessel's contract? Phaneuf's contract? Clarkson's contract? Lupul?

Is Cody Franson a marketable rental? Kadri?

I concur that I'd move whatever I could off that roster (there's a similar situation in Philadelphia) but I'm not sure what's marketable and what sort of return one gets on it (also like in Philadelphia).

The only issue there is that you need to have a market and something that people want to buy.

A fire sale on assets no one wants isn't going to be very effective.

Does anyone really want Kessel's contract? Phaneuf's contract? Clarkson's contract? Lupul?

Is Cody Franson a marketable rental? Kadri?

I concur that I'd move whatever I could off that roster (there's a similar situation in Philadelphia) but I'm not sure what's marketable and what sort of return one gets on it (also like in Philadelphia).

Great post Rad, right to the point.

IMHO Kessel, Clarkson and Phaneuf are absolutely untradeable unless some GM somewhere falls down and bumps his head. And if they are dealt, it will be for cap relief more than talent coming back. I have been reading in another site a group of Leaf fans throwing some of the most absurd trade offers you have ever seen for Phaneuf, I mean unreal offers even if you don't factor the cap hit in.  Simply not going to get fair market value, cap relief allows new management to bring their own players in, that is about it, and maybe a mid level prospect/player.

Lupul cannot stay healthy. Pass.

The other two, Kadri and Franson absolutely should be considered by most teams, Franson is a puck moving d-man who makes mistakes, pairing him with a solid smart stay at home blueliner would make a lot of his mistakes less noticeable and allow him to do what he does best. As for Kadri, he has value, and a change of scenery may be the best thing for him.

The biggie to me, they need to deal either Bernier or Reimer and call up Bibeau or Gibson and quit this semi goalie controversy thing they keep flirting with. I get it, competition is great and all, but pick one, move the other one out to someone in need of a netminder like the Wild or Buffalo or somewhere and be done. Addition by subtraction.

Again, I do not have any idea how on earth this team is so bad. Obviously Carlyle is sitting on a beach somewhere in Florida chuckling, they were on the edge of the playoffs when he got canned, they are now on the edge of the lottery picks. Too much talent to not be molded into a winner. Maybe next year when Babcock takes over the Leafs will get it together.

IMHO Kessel, Clarkson and Phaneuf are absolutely untradeable unless some GM somewhere falls down and bumps his head. And if they are dealt, it will be for cap relief more than talent coming back. I have been reading in another site a group of Leaf fans throwing some of the most absurd trade offers you have ever seen for Phaneuf, I mean unreal offers even if you don't factor the cap hit in.  Simply not going to get fair market value, cap relief allows new management to bring their own players in, that is about it, and maybe a mid level prospect/player.

Lupul cannot stay healthy. Pass.

The other two, Kadri and Franson absolutely should be considered by most teams, Franson is a puck moving d-man who makes mistakes, pairing him with a solid smart stay at home blueliner would make a lot of his mistakes less noticeable and allow him to do what he does best. As for Kadri, he has value, and a change of scenery may be the best thing for him.

The biggie to me, they need to deal either Bernier or Reimer and call up Bibeau or Gibson and quit this semi goalie controversy thing they keep flirting with. I get it, competition is great and all, but pick one, move the other one out to someone in need of a netminder like the Wild or Buffalo or somewhere and be done. Addition by subtraction.

Again, I do not have any idea how on earth this team is so bad. Obviously Carlyle is sitting on a beach somewhere in Florida chuckling, they were on the edge of the playoffs when he got canned, they are now on the edge of the lottery picks. Too much talent to not be molded into a winner. Maybe next year when Babcock takes over the Leafs will get it together.

The last time they did this it was between Pogge and Rask. it didn't turn out so good.

Is it to soon to start the process of calling Bernier a bust?  He's still young, but not nearly the dominant prospect many thought he would be.

I wouldn't call him a bust, not with that so called defense in front of him. I think he is an average goalie, the Leafs got him for a pick, a goalie who they didn't believe in who is sucking it up in Edmonton and Frattin who a couple of minor deals later wound up back with the Leafs/Marlies.

I think he is serviceable, with a team like Montreal or Nashville he could have a nice career, when Polak and Gardiner are supplying the laugh track every time they touch the puck, and the forwards don't like to cross the blue line into the defensive end out of fear of getting tired or something, Bernier or whoever is in for a looooooooong night every night.

@yave1964  I just thought he had better raw skills, I'm not a huge fan of his positioning or puck awareness. The defense helped prop him up in LA and is breaking him down in TO...but I did think he was faster than what we are seeing now. I LOVE the fact he is just serviceable. When is the last time the Leafs drafted (and kept...lol) a young star goalie?

IMHO Kessel, Clarkson and Phaneuf are absolutely untradeable unless some GM somewhere falls down and bumps his head.

They certainly aren't doing anything right now to make themselves appealing to the other 29 teams that's for sure. 

I still think Kessel can be traded (albeit with a much lower trade value thanks to his recent scoring slump), but Phaneuf and Clarkson have the two worst contracts in the NHL.

Is it to soon to start the process of calling Bernier a bust?  He's still young, but not nearly the dominant prospect many thought he would be.

I think Bernier is fed up with the way the team is playing in front of him. It wears on a goalie after awhile and I think he's about ready to mail it in for this season.

I think Bernier is fed up with the way the team is playing in front of him. It wears on a goalie after awhile and I think he's about ready to mail it in for this season.

It is a bit funny since they have been trying to play more defensive minded and it has been working out even worse for them. Kessel looks lost these days. At least when playing offensively, he sometimes scores haha

I'd still take Reimer over Niemi. Only signed for next year cheap, and can try to establish himself here. If he does not, bye bye. if he does, resign him.

They certainly aren't doing anything right now to make themselves appealing to the other 29 teams that's for sure. 

I still think Kessel can be traded (albeit with a much lower trade value thanks to his recent scoring slump), but Phaneuf and Clarkson have the two worst contracts in the NHL.

I dunno bro. Alex Semin gets paid 7 million a year. In fact, he played 1 season for the Canes and then they extended him for 5 years at 7 million.

1 goal, 7 assists in 26 games an currently a healthy scratch. Maybe you could offer Phaneuf or Clarkson for Semin? lol.

Archived