Which Team Has The Worst Fanbase

JagerMeister

I have a certain amount of empathy for Hawks fans who, for decades, had a team owner that seemed to revile them. That there were any fans left by the time Rocky Wirtz took over the club seems like a miracle.

I agree with REAL Hawk fans finally getting the chance to win a cup after suffering for so long. It is the fans who suddenly come out of the woodwork and start buying jerseys for teams that win. That is what i have a problem with, fans who suddenly discover a team only after they win.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:confused[1]:

I just look at the Marlins and Rays in baseball, and the Panthers and Lightning in the NHL. For whatever reason, Florida seems to be death for pro sports teams. Whether it's a smaller population, or an aging population, or a transient population, or whatever, teams never seem to draw well down there.

My question is: Why does the NHL put TWO teams in an area that has a small fan base? Wouldn't it make sense to have one team in Florida and two teams in Toronto? :huh:

You know, I don't care if people think I am a 'homer' for what I am about to say, but the Lightning don't belong anywhere NEAR a list of teams with 'bad fanbases'.

The team, like most Florida pro sports teams, will ALWAYS find fans of the opposition sitting in the arena due to the very nature of Florida being a transient/retirement state, but the fact is, the on ice product (even when it hasn't been so good), the marketing, the team awareness, and more importantly, the CARING that the ownership group has put in the team, arena renovations, and PR efforts has been nothing short of outstanding.

Games at the Arena are sold out, or near sold out, almost nightly, the television audience for the product is good, and team merchandise can be seen sold and being worn all over the Tampa Bay area.

And before anyone says "yea, but you sell out the arena mostly from help from the other team's fans", I say, that, while that is true, the Bolts STILL do well at the gate even when a struggling non contender / non traditional market comes to town.

Oh, and as was seen the last home game against the Canadiens (who, BTW, had quite a number of fans in attendance...they always do), the Bolts fans can indeed DROWN OUT and overpower the opposition fans in the noise department if need be.

Loud and proud...can't ask for much more.

And one other thing.

Something that really hadn't caught my attention until just a couple seasons ago....despite the fact that I fall into the demographic.

Seems many diehard Lightning fans are of the female variety!

Ok, so I haven't done any research on this, but just reading random articles, people that I know who just love the Bolts back from when I lived there, and people I have met on forums....the bulk of them are FEMALE fans!

For you guys who complain that 'your women just don't get hockey', how can you complain about the fact that the Bolts produce some good, many times knowledgeable, hockey fans of the opposite sex.......and wouldn't even MIND talking NHL on a date with ya!??

How can that be part of a 'bad fanbase'? ;)

My question is: Why does the NHL put TWO teams in an area that has a small fan base? Wouldn't it make sense to have one team in Florida and two teams in Toronto? :huh:

Tampa is a 4.5 hour drive from Miami. (Ottawa is 2h from Montreal, 5 from Tronno)

You can't at all compare the two "fanbases" in terms of geography.

And, just so you know, there's one thing in this world that has prevented a second team in Tronno.

It's spelled M-A-P-L-E L-E-A-E-S on at least one Cup :D

You know, I don't care if people think I am a 'homer' for what I am about to say, but the Lightning don't belong anywhere NEAR a list of teams with 'bad fanbases'.

The team, like most Florida pro sports teams, will ALWAYS find fans of the opposition sitting in the arena due to the very nature of Florida being a transient/retirement state, but the fact is, the on ice product (even when it hasn't been so good), the marketing, the team awareness, and more importantly, the CARING that the ownership group has put in the team, arena renovations, and PR efforts has been nothing short of outstanding.

Games at the Arena are sold out, or near sold out, almost nightly, the television audience for the product is good, and team merchandise can be seen sold and being worn all over the Tampa Bay area.

And before anyone says "yea, but you sell out the arena mostly from help from the other team's fans", I say, that, while that is true, the Bolts STILL do well at the gate even when a struggling non contender / non traditional market comes to town.

Oh, and as was seen the last home game against the Canadiens (who, BTW, had quite a number of fans in attendance...they always do), the Bolts fans can indeed DROWN OUT and overpower the opposition fans in the noise department if need be.

And one other thing.

Something that really hadn't caught my attention until just a couple seasons ago....despite the fact that I fall into the demographic.

Ok, so I haven't done any research on this, but just reading random articles, people that I know who just love the Bolts back from when I lived there, and people I have met on forums....the bulk of them are FEMALE fans!

For you guys who complain that 'your women just don't get hockey', how can you complain about the fact that the Bolts produce some good, many times knowledgeable, hockey fans of the opposite sex.......and wouldn't even MIND talking NHL on a date with ya!??

Well, ever since Stammer was drafted, i have seen a significant increase of tampa fans from the opposite gender...

stamkos-admirer.gif?w=650

Am i the only one who thinks that he is the lost son of Gretzky?.....

Well, ever since Stammer was drafted, i have seen a significant increase of tampa fans from the opposite gender...

stamkos-admirer.gif?w=650

Am i the only one who thinks that he is the lost son of Gretzky?.....

Well, whatever it takes in the cold, hard business world, right Jager?

If so, then those scouts and marketing guys working for the Lightning are damned geniuses! ;)

Dunno who are the best or worst.  But, I have a nomination for dumbest.

I'd never been to an Islander game until the 1993 playoffs.   The crowd is hollering the stupidest stuff I've ever heard,. (and I've heard plenty).  I'm getting wet.  My neighbor tells me the idiots behind us are throwing their beer cups at the ice.  

How big a fool do you have to be to pay NHL rink prices for beer and then throw it away?

Well, whatever it takes in the cold, hard business world, right Jager?

If so, then those scouts and marketing guys working for the Lightning are damned geniuses! ;)

yup

and idk, he just looks like gretzky to me.

I agree with REAL Hawk fans finally getting the chance to win a cup after suffering for so long. It is the fans who suddenly come out of the woodwork and start buying jerseys for teams that win. That is what i have a problem with, fans who suddenly discover a team only after they win.

Trust me, I get you completely. I was in Edmonton for 7 trips to the Stanley Cup Finals, and each time I remember people who couldn't care less about the game or the team were "lifelong fans!" all of a sudden. And then, when the team struggles, those folks are long gone.

And one other thing.

I knew I'd hear from you!  :wub[1]:

I cannot believe no mention of the Washington Capitals.

They are loud and do come out of the woodwork come playoff time provided their team is in the tournament, however they are often surprised when a play is called offsides, expect a penalty call whenever one of their players loses an edge, and think Mike Green is a good defenseman.

They are actually in the dictionary under bandwagon .

I cannot believe no mention of the Washington Capitals.

They are loud and do come out of the woodwork come playoff time provided their team is in the tournament, however they are often surprised when a play is called offsides, expect a penalty call whenever one of their players loses an edge, and think Mike Green is a good defenseman.

They are actually in the dictionary under bandwagon .

No kidding and great call.   You know, prior to Ovechkin you could fairly easily get tickets to go see a game and it was utterly embarrassing there.   Flyers/Caps was particularly embarrassing, even as a Flyers' fan, watching the home team get booed just coming out onto the ice.  Or in pregame skate.  Flyers fans had to outnumber Caps fans 10-1 or worse.

Then I went to an Avs/Caps game.  This is back at the old arena and obviously before Ovechkin.   But even the Avs fans outnumbered the Caps fans (at the time, Hershey was the Avs' AHL affiliate so I blamed it on that).  THAT was embarrassing (and pathetic at the same time).

But now you talk to Caps fans and every last one of them is a lifelong fan.  I swear that for that to be true, the average Cap fan must be only 10 years old.  And every single one of them is the penultimate hockey expert.  Still embarrassing (and pathetic).

People point to Pens' fans for being similar, but the Caps fans are far worse. 

Nah, I was just being playful. She gives really good responses and knows her stuff.  :)

I was just joking, technically though it was not a joke because it wasn't funny.

Plus, who hits on someone in hockey forums anyways?

I was just joking, technically though it was not a joke because it wasn't funny.

Plus, who hits on someone in hockey forums anyways?

So you haven't been reading Pods trolling all the sheep around here?

:ph34r:

Ironically, by getting off topic here, we might have stumbled onto the process of finding out the worst fans...

Find out WHOSE fans troll forums for female posters (I pose as Hank the Hairy Trucker sometimes to throw off the scent) to hit on, and we can deem THOSE the worst fans, no? :P

Ironically, by getting off topic here, we might have stumbled onto the process of finding out the worst fans...

Find out WHOSE fans troll forums for female posters (I pose as Hank the Hairy Trucker sometimes to throw off the scent) to hit on, and we can deem THOSE the worst fans, no? :P

Thats terrible TFG...

Are those pants made with mirrors?  Because I can see myself in them.    (Meant as a joke, but I feel creepy just typing it!)

@JagerMeister....you like doing random threads.

You should start a "Worst pickup lines" thread.

Podein:   "Baaaaaa"  or "I'd love to pull the wool over your thighs..er...eyes."

Are those pants made with mirrors?  Because I can see myself in them.    (Meant as a joke, but I feel creepy just typing it!)

And just think....many guys out there can reel those out one after another with a semi straight, yet blank face.

The fact that you feel creepy typing it is a good sign, I'd say...lol

Archived