What Do You Think Of Don Cherry?

JagerMeister

Racist worthless ass clown. Nothing more nothing less.

Think about his rants against Euros, imagine if an announcer spoke that way about blacks or another minority that anyone cares about, they would have been fired years ago, pure and simple. Instead he trumpets Canadian supremacy over the world using overt racist overtones and undertones. He can go to hell as far as I am concerned, the world has no place for his type anymore.

Hopefully that is a good enough answer for you......

Racist worthless ass clown. Nothing more nothing less.

Think about his rants against Euros, imagine if an announcer spoke that way about blacks or another minority that anyone cares about, they would have been fired years ago, pure and simple. Instead he trumpets Canadian supremacy over the world using overt racist overtones and undertones. He can go to hell as far as I am concerned, the world has no place for his type anymore.

Hopefully that is a good enough answer for you......

Damn, lol. I dont blame you for not liking him. Im more neutral towards him. But there are alot of people who genuinely like him, No one can deny though that he is a very knowledgeable hockey mind...

He's like the old uncle at the family Christmas party every year.   Says loads of crazy stuff, but every once in a while makes some sense, and you can't believe it.  I guess just like that crazy old uncle, after years of having him around, you just get used to him.

Gotta love the outfits though, eh?

Damn, lol. I dont blame you for not liking him. Im more neutral towards him. But there are alot of people who genuinely like him, No one can deny though that he is a very knowledgeable hockey mind...

Problem with Cherry--other than the obvious that @yave1964 already mentioned--is that his intelligence is locked in on ONE kind of system. There are more systems that work in this game; he just doesn't like the other ones other than the ONE he knows. And yes, with the right players, that system works and works well. But if you DON'T have the right players, you still have to figure out a way to win. His solution would be to tell his GM to dump everybody and start over. And the problem for him in today's league is that you have a salary cap that limits how much you can go out and get all of those players. His inflexibility (and racism) was NEVER more apparent than it was in 2008 when the Wings won the cup with their European captain Nick Lidstrom. They played a European-style game, and Cherry poo-pooed them all the way to the Cup.

I look at a coach like Babcock as compared with Cherry, and he is MILES ahead of that guy, because he can coach a European-style or a more tight-checking, bruising style. He can coach a team of All-Stars or a young team. His genius was never more apparent than it was last year, when almost half of his team was injured, and he somehow coached a bunch of rookies into the playoffs to extend Detroit's playoff streak. It's crazy that he has never won the Adams, but I had to agree that Roy had a better argument for winning it last year. Babcock is much more versatile than Cherry will ever understand.

But I have to say--even after all of that--that I DO still find him entertaining to watch. I don't get to see him much, and that may be why I enjoy seeing him as much as I do when I get the chance. I think I'd probably like him less with more regular exposure to him. I do appreciate his support for the military. He was doing that before it was cool to do that.

So, what do you think of Don Cherry? 

I think of it this way:

You know how every coach in the NHL has a shelf life? (A period where players will listen to them and then eventually tune them out.) I think Don Cherry is about 25 years past his shelf life. On one hand, he's never changed. On the other hand, he's never changed. It's like everyone else evolved except him.

But perhaps my biggest gripe with Coach's Corner is that it has become Don Cherry's podium for the Canadian military. He spends more time talking about soldiers than he does about hockey. While honorable, when it gets to that point, it ceases to be a hockey segment and is no longer relevant to the show I'm watching.

So for hockey analysis, I just wait for the second intermission when Friedman, Strombo, Kipper, and the gang actually discuss hockey. And "Heels" & co do a good job analyzing the game while the play is on. First intermission has become my snack break. :)

Don Cherry seems like the kind of person who always believes he's the smartest person in the room. 

If you don't like him, don't watch him. It's that simple, really.

Obviously he's still relevant because people keep watching.

He's not 'racist' - 'European' or 'Russian' is not a race. He is definitely ethnocentric though.

He's like the old uncle at the family Christmas party every year.   Says loads of crazy stuff, but every once in a while makes some sense, and you can't believe it.  I guess just like that crazy old uncle, after years of having him around, you just get used to him.

Gotta love the outfits though, eh?

This here pretty much sums up how I feel about the man.

And I also agree, that in small doses, he is entertaining in the sort of way one may find professional wrestling entertaining: It's over the top, parodies an actual sport (in Cherry's case, parodies hockey analysis), but in no way does anyone feel like they could place a bet on what is going on (again in Cherry's case, what is being said).

My exposure to him is sorta like @WordsOfWisdom 's in that, I don't get to watch him that often, but when i do, yea, I will listen in to see what he is ranting on about THIS week.

And like @brelic said, once you have had enough of him, you simply stop watching/listening to the guy.

Personally, whenever Coach's Corner is on and I happen to be watching, I get entertainment from not only listening to Cherry's rants, but watching the reactions and facial expressions of his on-air broadcast colleague (his name escapes me right now, but I am sure the majority of you here know who I am talking about).

Some of them are pure gold...especially after some of the things Cherry says. :D

Personally, whenever Coach's Corner is on and I happen to be watching, I get entertainment from not only listening to Cherry's rants, but watching the reactions and facial expressions of his on-air broadcast colleague (his name escapes me right now, but I am sure the majority of you here know who I am talking about).
Some of them are pure gold...especially after some of the things Cherry says

Ron MacLean. I like him better than Cherry. This is my favorite clip:

"Can you believe you told him what to do?"

There ya go, @JackStraw , that's him, Ron MacLean.

Probably the ONLY guy who could be paid money to sit next to Don Cherry, listen to his rants, then comment afterwards with a straight face...well, mostly straight, I SWEAR the man struggles with that sometimes, depending on what ol Don is going on about....haha.

Archived