What can you tell me about Ryan White?

fanaticV3.0

I've seen people both here and on FB saying this kid should get a chance. With Rinaldo out, he's going to. "Replacing" Rinaldo is not hard, but what am I not seeing here? He's 26, which isn't in any way old, but shouldn't he have made it at this point if he was going to? Do people actually think this kid is going to stick around? What kind of player is he? It's like hoping Zepp is going to be our backup. That would be a nice story, but let's face it, ain't gonna happen.

I've seen people both here and on FB saying this kid should get a chance. With Rinaldo out, he's going to. "Replacing" Rinaldo is not hard, but what am I not seeing here? He's 26, which isn't in any way old, but shouldn't he have made it at this point if he was going to? Do people actually think this kid is going to stick around? What kind of player is he? It's like hoping Zepp is going to be our backup. That would be a nice story, but let's face it, ain't gonna happen.

From what i've seen and know is he is a 4th line center and has won 50% of his faceoffs the last 3 seasons. So that is a plus over Zac. He is more disciplined than Zac.

And he can play on the PK. He averaged 1:47 per game last year down a man. So that is about all i know he is a 4th liner who could if need be play on the 3rd line with limited ice time.

And he can fight as well i wouldn't say as good as Zac but can hold his own.

Do people actually think this kid is going to stick around? What kind of player is he? It's like hoping Zepp is going to be our backup. That would be a nice story, but let's face it, ain't gonna happen.

Why are you asking for opinions on the guy if you've already reached your own conclusion on him? 

From what i've seen and know is he is a 4th line center and has won 50% of his faceoffs the last 3 seasons. So that is a plus over Zac. He is more disciplined than Zac.

And he can play on the PK. He averaged 1:47 per game last year down a man. So that is about all i know he is a 4th liner who could if need be play on the 3rd line with limited ice time.

And he can fight as well i wouldn't say as good as Zac but can hold his own.

Oh good, we needed one of those. :lol:

Is there any chance he's actually going to stick with the team? I know "it's never too late" and about late bloomers and all that crap, but what are the odds this kid is even in the line up when Rinaldo returns? I know last year was the most he's played...so he's got that going for him???

Why are you asking for opinions on the guy if you've already reached your own conclusion on him? 

Well contrary to popular belief, I don't know everything and one of those things I don't know much about is Ryan White. I figure there's at least one person out there who knows more about him than I do, so why not ask why I should believe a 26 year old AHL player is going to stick with the team beyond a handful of games?

@fanaticV3.0

You're asking people to predict the future. I don't know anybody that can do that, at least not reliably. Some, like me, look to past achievements to get a glimpse of what might happen, to project. In this case, I'd point to a guy who was a 3rd round pick (not shabby) , once put up 89 points in Junior (not shabby), and has certain qualities that might translate: speed, versatility, grit, desire etc.

But you don't go in for that kind of thing do you? 

Have you ever thought of flying kites? I think you'd be awesome at it.

@fanaticV3.0

You're asking people to predict the future. I don't know anybody that can do that, at least not reliably. Some, like me, look to past achievements to get a glimpse of what might happen, to project. In this case, I'd point to a guy who was a 3rd round pick (not shabby) , once put up 89 points in Junior (not shabby), and has certain qualities that might translate: speed, versatility, grit, desire etc.

But you don't go in for that kind of thing do you? 

Have you ever thought of flying kites? I think you'd be awesome at it.

1. No, I'm not. I'm asking for opinions.

2. You seem offended by this, which is bizarre because you don't have a problem predicting the future (your words, not mine) of a certain player based on a certain two-year span in his juniors career (which was 4 years ago btw). You do have a problem admitting you were wrong though.

You seem offended by this, which is bizarre because you don't have a problem predicting the future (your words, not mine) of a certain player based on a certain two-year span in his juniors career (which was 4 years ago btw). You do have a problem admitting you were wrong though.

Why do you always say that people "seem offended"? I honestly don't get it. Why would I be offended? 

Same with admitting I'm wrong. I do it all the time. What is it with you? 

Why do you always say that people "seem offended"? I honestly don't get it. Why would I be offended? 

Same with admitting I'm wrong. I do it all the time. What is it with you? 

Why do you always turn a conversation with me into one about me? I asked a question about a player and you want to talk about me. That's nor normal, especially as often as you do it. I could see if I started taking shots at you for no reason, and you were just defending yourself, but I just asked a question. I get under your skin by just being here. Your responses to normal posts (by me) are not healthy. You should ignore me, but you can't bring yourself to do it.

I know nothing about him as a player but he is a super nice guy to the fans. My son and I got to meet him at a sth event and he was very gracious to us. He asked my 4 year old all about his hockey skills classes and even gave my kid a hug. That's my only impression of him so far.

I know nothing about him as a player but he is a super nice guy to the fans. My son and I got to meet him at a sth event and he was very gracious to us. He asked my 4 year old all about his hockey skills classes and even gave my kid a hug. That's my only impression of him so far. 

That's enough for me. He's playing for a job so expect him to be flying around, hitting etc. He'll pot a few too.

Is there any chance he's actually going to stick with the team? I know "it's never too late" and about late bloomers and all that crap

Well that i can't say. I'm afraid with him what you see is what you get....i think he has peaked.

From what I know and don't quote me on it is: 

1) His name is Ryan

2) He is indeed white and that also happens to be his last name

3) He plays ice hockey at the professional level

4) He may or may not like peanut M&Ms 

That's all I have. If I hear anything further I will promptly report back.

He has been in the NHL for a couple of years prior to signing with us. He had a torn pectoral muscle to start this year. He isn't a "project" he's a depth / character guy who when healthy is better at everything when compared to Rinaldo. A little slower, a good fighter, better at all other hockey functions. He was well liked in Montreal by fans and teammates. He should work out in a depth role, he will not be the prized top line winger...

Ryan White, with the Habs in the playoffs a few years ago started a five on five line brawl against the Senators when after a faceoff he swung his stick like a hatchet hitting the Senators center in the legs causing a full out brawl. Unfortunately for White, he drew Chris Neil in the dance card and Neil absolutely destroyed him, hamming it up and waving to the crowd on the way towards the runway. If I am not mistaken, the Canadiens were a two seed and the Senators were a seven, this event more or less ended the series, it went on for a few more games but it was a foregone conclusion that Ottawa was going to win from that point on. 

He is a decent scrapper, a middle weight. He is fearless from what I have seen, I saw him block a shot with his face a few years ago and stay in the game. Solid in the faceoff department, I always thought he would translate better offensively that he has, I still think he is not a bad player and could play on the third line in a pinch. He hasn't proven it yet, he shows bursts but so far has not had the consistency that is required to be more than a fringe player. At 26 time is running out so if he is gonna do it, he better hurry up.

Where did you and your boy meet him? I think on average guys who haven't made it "yet" tend to be nicer. Though I've met some unpleasant AHLers too.

He has been in the NHL for a couple of years prior to signing with us. He had a torn pectoral muscle to start this year. He isn't a "project" he's a depth / character guy who when healthy is better at everything when compared to Rinaldo. A little slower, a good fighter, better at all other hockey functions. He was well liked in Montreal by fans and teammates. He should work out in a depth role, he will not be the prized top line winger...

How do you figure? I know exactly what you mean when you say he isn't a project, but he hasn't even established himself as a guy who can stay in the league. I would love it if he did, because I'd love to replace Rinaldo with someone who is better than Rinaldo.But given their infatuation with Zac and the fact that White has only suited up for more than 30 games in a year once since 2009, where's the hope he actually does?

Well that's a relief, since he's a 4th line center. We have a habit of playing guys out of position, but to top-line winger from 4th line center would be ridiculous for even us.

Ryan White, with the Habs in the playoffs a few years ago started a five on five line brawl against the Senators when after a faceoff he swung his stick like a hatchet hitting the Senators center in the legs causing a full out brawl. Unfortunately for White, he drew Chris Neil in the dance card and Neil absolutely destroyed him, hamming it up and waving to the crowd on the way towards the runway. If I am not mistaken, the Canadiens were a two seed and the Senators were a seven, this event more or less ended the series, it went on for a few more games but it was a foregone conclusion that Ottawa was going to win from that point on. 

He is a decent scrapper, a middle weight. He is fearless from what I have seen, I saw him block a shot with his face a few years ago and stay in the game. Solid in the faceoff department, I always thought he would translate better offensively that he has, I still think he is not a bad player and could play on the third line in a pinch. He hasn't proven it yet, he shows bursts but so far has not had the consistency that is required to be more than a fringe player. At 26 time is running out so if he is gonna do it, he better hurry up.

Thanks yave. That's some good insight. I honestly know nothing about him other than he's 26 and hasn't quite made it yet (and I agree time is running out). Never a fan of stick swinging incidents though.

Where did you and your boy meet him? I think on average guys who haven't made it "yet" tend to be nicer. Though I've met some unpleasant AHLers too.

It was at the early bird STH "meet the players party".  He wanted to meet Giroux but G was hurt at the time and could not make the event.  We went into the Jake line that featured White, Read, Coburn, and Jake.  White, Read, and Jake were all awesome and all interacted with my son for an extended period of time including conversation, photos and hugs.  Coburn kept his head down, said nothing, signed an autograph and moved us along.  

Archived