Leafs get trolled on Trade Centre: Pending Lawsuit?

that is totally freaking awesome!!!! ROFLMAO

apparently the person who is supposed to monitor what is posted fell asleep at the switch....someone's head is about to roll. :)

Great find!!!!

@J0e Th0rnton

“On behalf of our clients Dion Phaneuf, his wife Elisha Cuthbert and Joffrey Lupul, we have sent a letter to TSN demanding that TSN issue a formal apology and pay a significant amount of damages to each of our clients for broadcasting a false and defamatory tweet during their trade deadline show yesterday. We are sending a similar letter to the author of the tweet, Mr. Anthony Adragna.

“It is bad enough that there are people who spend their time using social media to publish such false and malicious stories, but it is made much worse when a reputable media outlet like TSN gives broad circulation and credibility to these false stories by republishing them as TSN did.

“If TSN and Mr. Adragna do not immediately comply with the demands set out in our letters, we have instructions from our clients to immediately commence a lawsuit against them.

“Our clients will not be discussing this matter with the media. Any questions should be directed to the undersigned.”

Nothing like putting the whole thing back in the media's face...  LOL  They rely too much on social media for their info.

Kessel has a few things to say over the media's treatment of Phaneuf.  

Kessel: ''I'm fed up over what's been said"

"Is it his fault we're losing? No. Did he build this team? No.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/3/3/8142979/phil-kessel-has-something-to-say-maple-leafs-leadership

http://www.tsn.ca/is-kessel-s-anger-warranted-1.221390

I can understand going after TSN for a few bucks and an apology, but I'm sure the original author of the message said it as a joke and never thought in a million years it would go on air. Any lawsuit that tries to get damages awarded from a fan (to a group of multi-millionaires that don't need the money) is going absolutely nowhere. The most they get from him is an apology.

My two cents.  :)

Are you effing kidding me, a couple millionaires are naming some regular schlub in a lawsuit for something he posted on Twitter??? Sue TSN, because frankly they did grossly neglect to filter the crap they were allowing to roll at the bottom of the screen. Twitter is 99% talking apes so you have to know what your getting there, this is TSN's fault, not the ape that probably had no expectation that his prank was getting on tv.

This thread went fron funny to pissing me off

Are you effing kidding me, a couple millionaires are naming some regular schlub in a lawsuit for something he posted on Twitter??? Sue TSN, because frankly they did grossly neglect to filter the crap they were allowing to roll at the bottom of the screen. Twitter is 99% talking apes so you have to know what your getting there, this is TSN's fault, not the ape that probably had no expectation that his prank was getting on tv.

This thread went fron funny to pissing me off

How do you know it was an ape? Coulda been a sheep. A very smart sheep with mad keyboard skills (you'd not expect that from am ungulate).

Kessel has a few things to say over the media's treatment of Phaneuf.  

Kessel: ''I'm fed up over what's been said"

"Is it his fault we're losing? No. Did he build this team? No.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/3/3/8142979/phil-kessel-has-something-to-say-maple-leafs-leadership

http://www.tsn.ca/is-kessel-s-anger-warranted-1.221390

They were praising Kessel all over Toronto media yesterday. What a joke. The guy hasn't broke a sweat in a game for months, is one of the leagues highest paid player and calls the media embarrassing? Look in the mirror cookie boy.

Are you effing kidding me, a couple millionaires are naming some regular schlub in a lawsuit for something he posted on Twitter???

That regular schlub had his false statement posted on national television, and targeted people who are known internationally. You are responsible for what you say.

Twitter is 99% talking apes so you have to know what your getting there, this is TSN's fault, not the ape that probably had no expectation that his prank was getting on tv.

There is a HUGE difference between posting a bunch of general nonsense on social media, and saying false things about real people. 99% of the time, nothing comes of it because no one cares what you post. Not this time.

I agree, without TSN, there's no story because no one would care. If you tell your neighbours that President Obama is an alcoholic fool, no harm no foul, right? If you tell the world the same thing and it is broadcast on national television, that's a different story.

That regular schlub had his false statement posted on national television, and targeted people who are known internationally. You are responsible for what you say.

There is a HUGE difference between posting a bunch of general nonsense on social media, and saying false things about real people. 99% of the time, nothing comes of it because no one cares what you post. Not this time.

I agree, without TSN, there's no story because no one would care. If you tell your neighbours that President Obama is an alcoholic fool, no harm no foul, right? If you tell the world the same thing and it is broadcast on national television, that's a different story.

Except you need to consider the fact that this guy is essentially doing the same thing as joking around with friends, except he's doing it online. He never asked TSN to publish that. If you look at his Twitter feed, the guy was shocked it got on TV. Who the heck expects TSN would show that? Nobody.

TSN publishing something on television that you bullcrapped on Twitter puts the onus on them. This guy is no authority. He's not "reporting" this. Only his friends followed him before that happened.

If he gets in trouble for this, that's a pretty dangerous precedent IMO. Next you'll see some bullcrap we say on here posted on ESPN and Crosby will be taking legal action against all of us for saying he whines constantly.

Social media is just one giant cesspool of bullshit. TSN should honestly scrap that stupid twitter feed of anything except what their guys are tweeting.

Apologize, sure. The guy already tweeted several things taking back the statement and saying it was just a joke, but sure....formal apology.

Legal action? Yeah, no thanks.

Except you need to consider the fact that this guy is essentially doing the same thing as joking around with friends, except he's doing it online. He never asked TSN to publish that. If you look at his Twitter feed, the guy was shocked it got on TV. Who the heck expects TSN would show that? Nobody.

It doesn't really matter - you are legally responsible for what you say. That's why things on Facebook, Twitter, and so on are now being used in lawsuits. Technology and social media has now made it easy to archive all the dumb things people say.

He said something false publicly (Twitter) that was then rebroadcast nationally. TSN gave him the audience, but he's still the idiot who said it.

If he gets in trouble for this, that's a pretty dangerous precedent IMO. Next you'll see some bullcrap we say on here posted on ESPN and Crosby will be taking legal action against all of us for saying he whines constantly.

A few things... it's probably not a stretch to prove that Crosby whines. There are hours and hours of NHL footage that someone could put together that would show dozens of instances where Crosby whines at the referees or at players. That makes your statement true. Nothing anyone can do about that. You can say the most vile things about people if they are true. 

The other thing is that let's say you post something here about Mike Richards that is patently false. No one cares. ANd even if Richards found out and read it, there's probably not much he can do because it would be hard to prove that the posting on this particular site has caused any real damage to his reputation. But if it gets picked up by Carchidi, and retweeted by Panaccio, and then they talk about it on The Fanatic, you might have a problem.

It doesn't really matter - you are legally responsible for what you say. That's why things on Facebook, Twitter, and so on are now being used in lawsuits. Technology and social media has now made it easy to archive all the dumb things people say.

He said something false publicly (Twitter) that was then rebroadcast nationally. TSN gave him the audience, but he's still the idiot who said it.

A few things... it's probably not a stretch to prove that Crosby whines. There are hours and hours of NHL footage that someone could put together that would show dozens of instances where Crosby whines at the referees or at players. That makes your statement true. Nothing anyone can do about that. You can say the most vile things about people if they are true. 

The other thing is that let's say you post something here about Mike Richards that is patently false. No one cares. ANd even if Richards found out and read it, there's probably not much he can do because it would be hard to prove that the posting on this particular site has caused any real damage to his reputation. But if it gets picked up by Carchidi, and retweeted by Panaccio, and then they talk about it on The Fanatic, you might have a problem.

Which is exactly the problem. 

The issue of defamation likely requires at least some measure of authority to be present, since you cannot damage someone's public esteem if nobody cares or believes you. Some jerk on Twitter posting stupid comments in jest? Nobody cares, and nobody believes him. But as soon as someone in a position of some authority gives it credence (in this case TSN, unintentionally), then it becomes an issue.

While that guy is responsible for what he said (and I'm not arguing it wasn't a dumb thing to do, because it was), he did what thousands upon thousands of people (including us on here) do all the time, but had the misfortune of TSN picking up his dumb comment and showing it to the world under their brand. I have a hard time finding too much fault with him there.

I realize nothing has come out of it yet (and I'd be surprised if he got hit with anything), but I'm having trouble thinking that these legal precedents coming out of social media as of late are a good thing.

Guess the only safe play at this point is to never post anything bad about someone else on the off chance that a media outlet picks it up for some dumb reason. Like my dad always says, if you don't have anything nice to say, you're probably better off not saying anything at all.

Guess the only safe play at this point is to never post anything bad about someone else on the off chance that a media outlet picks it up for some dumb reason. Like my dad always says, if you don't have anything nice to say, you're probably better off not saying anything at all.

I think this is exactly it. It's not about "never posting anything bad about someone," it's about not blatantly making stuff up.

People have to understand that Twitter is not your living room with your friends. It's a public forum. Would you get up in front of a microphone and say what this guy said on Twitter? 

Your dad is right :)

I realize nothing has come out of it yet (and I'd be surprised if he got hit with anything), but I'm having trouble thinking that these legal precedents coming out of social media as of late are a good thing.

Honestly? I think it is a good thing. There are too many irresponsible people posting irresponsible things without realizing how damaging those things can be. 

People can sit here and judge and snicker at the Twitter comments, but Cuthbert and Phaneuf are real people, with families, friends, employers, fans, etc, that read this stuff. 

If someone posted something about banging your wife, and it wasn't true, and your whole family, all your friends, co-workers, etc, saw the post, it would probably cause some tension for you. You can deny it all you want, but once something is out there, it can be very hard to control the damage.

I think we agree on the general concept of being responsible for what you say, I personally loathe Twitter and fools who hide behind it and their keyboard. 

The problem I have is.....and again I'm not a Twitter guy and I don't hashtag things or whatever so that it gets picked up by in category.....but to sue the guy making the post is asinine and a reach. TSN put his post on the air, TSN is the medium under which the comment became national news. If he makes the same statement on Twitter and TSN doesn't pick it up, should he still be sued then? The guy didn't air the comment, TSN did. And if by putting a stupid hashtag on something a TV station is stupid enough to to just let it all flow like a faucet, then that TV station is at fault. If a TV station airs a story that shows someone making a defamatory comment about some celebrity, should that person be sued?  If I post something on this board saying Person X slept with Person Y and there were sheep involved as well, should the alleged aggrieved party sue me? 

So you've got two things at play IMO - dumbasses saying dumb **** on the internet, and a litigious society run amok. The question is which one deserves protection.

I think this is exactly it. It's not about "never posting anything bad about someone," it's about not blatantly making stuff up.

People have to understand that Twitter is not your living room with your friends. It's a public forum. Would you get up in front of a microphone and say what this guy said on Twitter? 

Your dad is right :)

Honestly? I think it is a good thing. There are too many irresponsible people posting irresponsible things without realizing how damaging those things can be. 

People can sit here and judge and snicker at the Twitter comments, but Cuthbert and Phaneuf are real people, with families, friends, employers, fans, etc, that read this stuff. 

If someone posted something about banging your wife, and it wasn't true, and your whole family, all your friends, co-workers, etc, saw the post, it would probably cause some tension for you. You can deny it all you want, but once something is out there, it can be very hard to control the damage.

Indeed, but the only reason that damage to reputation was potentially done (and therefore, the only reason that defamation can be claimed) is because TSN re-posted something that was intended as a stupid joke that nobody would even care to read, since it doesn't come from an authoritative source. If TSN doesn't show it, it would die in the disgusting bowels of Twitter where nobody would ever care about it again.

However, I can see where under current civil law, a person may be held liable since it technically originated from him.

An interesting line to draw, at any rate.

It's easy to say he should have been more careful when posting on Twitter, but who honestly expects TSN to show that? Who honestly expects to be hit by legal action for telling a dumb joke on a social medium?

If that's the case, I'm going to henceforth explicitly preface anything and everything with "in my opinion", because opinions are immunity. All hail the opinion!

This is especially the case in hockey, where so many fans have a ridiculous and juvenile obsession with this constant "He banged his teammate's wife!" narrative we see over and over again. I would be livid if such comments were made about my wife and a co-worker, and she would be humiliated by it. So what if this guy is shocked that TSN put it on the air? It became his responsibility the moment he hit 'Enter' on the keyboard, and next time he'll hopefully think twice.

The problem I have is.....and again I'm not a Twitter guy and I don't hashtag things or whatever so that it gets picked up by in category.....but to sue the guy making the post is asinine and a reach.

But he's the one who made the claim. TSN didn't; they just reported it. TSN might bear some responsibility under journalistic integrity or something, but they made no such claim. If someone interviews you on the side of the street, and you something false about a public figure, you bet your ass you are responsible for it, not the station that interviewed you. 

There was a case a few years ago where a parent was constantly berating a school principal online and on Facebook. Reams and reams of posts were dedicated to taking this principal down. No one cared - until the media picked it up, and the parent was then forced to back up her claims. Well, she couldn't. It was a landmark libel case.

If he makes the same statement on Twitter and TSN doesn't pick it up, should he still be sued then?

Maybe, but I doubt it. Cuthbert and Phaneuf would have to prove damage to their reputation. It if just dissolves into the ether, no harm.

And if by putting a stupid hashtag on something a TV station is stupid enough to to just let it all flow like a faucet, then that TV station is at fault.

Right. So you could accuse TSN of negligence. I'm sure they don't fact-check social media claims, and have proper disclaimers and waivers of responsibility for such posts. But, yeah, that should never have made it to air.

But TSN did not slander Cuthbert - the Twitter poster did.

If a TV station airs a story that shows someone making a defamatory comment about some celebrity, should that person be sued?  

If they are making false claims and passing them as true, yes, if the celebrity can show material damage.

So you've got two things at play IMO - dumbasses saying dumb **** on the internet, and a litigious society run amok. The question is which one deserves protection.

Totally agree - US is a very litigious society. It doesn't work that way in Canada, usually.

I don't think anything will come of this. They got their national apology.

It's easy to say he should have been more careful when posting on Twitter, but who honestly expects TSN to show that? Who honestly expects to be hit by legal action for telling a dumb joke on a social medium?

You're right - dude probably never thought it would air. But then again, I assume he was posting directly to TSN using an identifying hashtag, so you get what you deserve.

If that's the case, I'm going to henceforth explicitly preface anything and everything with "in my opinion", because opinions are immunity. All hail the opinion!

Don't forget religion. It's ok to spew hate speech as long as you say it under a religious context.

You're right - dude probably never thought it would air. But then again, I assume he was posting directly to TSN using an identifying hashtag, so you get what you deserve.

Well he did use the TSN hashtag, but then the question is does he deserve to be singled out among all the crap that flies back and forth on Twitter? I doubt it.

Don't forget religion. It's ok to spew hate speech as long as you say it under a religious context.

Or hate speech against religion, as the case may be. Whether or not it's "okay" depends entirely on what person or group of people you are hating on, strangely enough. Equality for all, right?

Or hate speech against religion, as the case may be. Whether or not it's "okay" depends entirely on what person or group of people you are hating on, strangely enough. Equality for all, right?

Something like that :)

The poster ran into hot water because had made a statement of fact that was untrue.

You are always allowed to give your opinion on something, but when you make a factual claim, you are subject to the validity of that claim. If it is a false claim, then you can be held liable for any damage caused to the people affected by that claim.

Example:

"I think Kessel sucks."

This is an opinion. I cannot be charged by Kessel for thinking that he sucks. I am always entitled to my own opinion.

Example #2:

"Kessel is on drugs."

This is a factual claim, and now evidence is required to support it. If someone posts a statement like example #2, they better be prepared to show data verifying said claim or face the possibility of a lawsuit.

Archived