Greatest GM and Coach Each Team Has Ever Has Had Have

JagerMeister

Sam Pollock was by far the most successful GM ever. 

It can be argued that the rules of those times helped him.  But, he wrote some of those rules.

Sam Pollock was by far the most successful GM ever.

It can be argued that the rules of those times helped him. But, he wrote some of those rules.

Agreed on both points. Pollock was an exceptional GM, and when the NHL let him write the rules for expansion, he did an incredible job of setting it up in the Habs favor. This isn't meant as an insult, since anybody here would have done the same for their own team. It's the NHL's fault that he was even in that position to begin with, since it let him pretty much rig the 1970s.

Irving Grundman was GM of the Canadiens after Sam Pollock.  He had roots in St. Laurent.  I'm not going to make comments about his legal problems.  But, sometimes Montreal Canadiens had practices at the rink in St. Laurent when he was GM. 

One Saturday, my youngest son  had an afternoon game scheduled in St. Laurent.  I got a call from a friend at this rink.  He told me that Canadiens were having an optional practice in the block before my son's game.  So, I called our traveling partner and his son, packed a lunch and headed north to Montreal.   The kids, who were peewees at the time, ate their sandwiches while watching the Canadiens practice.  After a while, most of the Canadiens drifted off the ice, but a few remained.  One came over and asked the two boys if they wanted to skate.  The boys jumped into their skates and pads.  My son did three on twos with Guy Lafleur and Yvan Cournoyer as his wings. 

Magic day.

Red Wings

GM - Kenny Holland

Coach - Scotty Bowman

Um, let's just concede that Scotty Bowman is the best coach of any team he coached, shall we? Except for maybe Toe Blake. Scotty himself would argue that Blake was better. Debatable, I suppose.

Leafs:

GM - None? 

Coach - None?

I didn't feel like digging into the archives or looking at microfilm to try and figure out the last GM and coach to see a Stanley Cup in Toronto.

I do however, have fond memories of the Pat Burns and Pat Quinn eras. That's as good as it has been for the Leafs in my lifetime. Five, maybe six good years out of all the years in my entire life? Looks that way...   :blink[1]:

Irving Grundman was GM of the Canadiens after Sam Pollock.  He had roots in St. Laurent.  I'm not going to make comments about his legal problems.  But, sometimes Montreal Canadiens had practices at the rink in St. Laurent when he was GM. 

One Saturday, my youngest son  had an afternoon game scheduled in St. Laurent.  I got a call from a friend at this rink.  He told me that Canadiens were having an optional practice in the block before my son's game.  So, I called our traveling partner and his son, packed a lunch and headed north to Montreal.   The kids, who were peewees at the time, ate their sandwiches while watching the Canadiens practice.  After a while, most of the Canadiens drifted off the ice, but a few remained.  One came over and asked the two boys if they wanted to skate.  The boys jumped into their skates and pads.  My son did three on twos with Guy Lafleur and Yvan Cournoyer as his wings. 

Magic day.

Great memory for you and your son. Awesome.

Magic day.

And I argue that THIS is one of the top things that makes hockey the greatest sport. The day its players mostly forget about reaching out to fans, and especially the kids, is the day the sport becomes just like any other, and perhaps worse. I LOVE the fact that most of the players in this league don't think they are above the game, and because many of them remember how long the road is to get where they are, they embrace and encourage players and fans at this level. This underlying humility is foundational to this sport's greatness!

Thanks for sharing the story. Would have loved to watch that, and my eyes would probably have welled up if it was my son.

Archived