Who Is The Most Physically Dominant Player Of All Time?

JagerMeister

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is The Most Physically Dominant Player Of All Time

• Lindros
    • Howe
    • Potvin
    • Pronger
    • Stevens
    • Neely
    • Gillies
    • Messier
    • Iginla
    • Tkachuk
    • Chara
    • Ovechkin
    • Phaneuf
    • Blake
    • Lucic
    • Boivin
    • Byfuglien
    • Kasparaitis
    • Robinson

Scott Stevens. A true warrior. :P  Any who can make man who is 6'4 and 240 lbs. fear them has to be tops in my list.

Stevens may have got the better of Lindros with his headshots, but I don't see anything resembling fear here...at least not from Lindros.

I went with Howe. After all, the Gordie Howe hat trick was named after him. Lol

I though I read somewhere that he only actually had a handful of those throughout his career.  Still - if you are going to name that trifecta after anyone, it's Mr. Hockey.

I though I read somewhere that he only actually had a handful of those throughout his career.  Still - if you are going to name that trifecta after anyone, it's Mr. Hockey.

Howe did a lot to establish that a skilled player and a tough player could be rolled into one. He wasn't the only one, but he played a big role.

an interesting thing i noticed is how how many of those guys had "shortened" careers.  Lots of guys that play that heavy game don't do it for very long at the OMG level at least.  Neely , Lindros, Tkachuck even Pronger had his career "shortened".

I thought Tim Kerr of the Flyers was dominant for a few years... like no one knew what to do with that guy.

I also was surprised that Mario Lemieux wasn't on that list, he was a damn moose.

I thought Kasparitis is an interesting inclusion... why not put claude lemieux on the list too, same type of "physical" player.

I voted for Pronger, based on his position playing defense, a strong argument could be made for  Stevens, Chara and Potvin too.  They are on the ice 25+ minutes a night and could control the game by setting a tone and keeping it up throughout a game.

@B21 if i didn't know any better i'd be thinking you've gone straight up troll.  wth ?

an interesting thing i noticed is how how many of those guys had "shortened" careers.  Lots of guys that play that heavy game don't do it for very long at the OMG level at least.  Neely , Lindros, Tkachuck even Pronger had his career "shortened".

I thought Tim Kerr of the Flyers was dominant for a few years... like no one knew what to do with that guy.

I also was surprised that Mario Lemieux wasn't on that list, he was a damn moose.

I thought Kasparitis is an interesting inclusion... why not put claude lemieux on the list too, same type of "physical" player.

I voted for Pronger, based on his position playing defense, a strong argument could be made for  Stevens, Chara and Potvin too.  They are on the ice 25+ minutes a night and could control the game by setting a tone and keeping it up throughout a game.

@B21 if i didn't know any better i'd be thinking you've gone straight up troll.  wth ?

WTH?  Lindros and Pronger are close but neither - i/m/h/o - hit like Stevens. That is what physically dominant is to me.  Big hits. Guys who are intimidated by no one.

Stevens popped into my head before I even saw the names on the poll.

How is that "trolling"?

@B21

well lets see... the raspberry face, in the post, where i'm sure you were referencing Dave Adryechcuk as the 6'4" 240lb player ... just sure of it.  the Timonen thread, your avatar photo.  it's kind of overt actually.

@B21

well lets see... the raspberry face, in the post, where i'm sure you were referencing Dave Adryechcuk as the 6'4" 240lb player ... just sure of it.  the Timonen thread, your avatar photo.  it's kind of overt actually.

Well I was serious about Stevens.  And he was best known for his encounters with Lindros.  

But - I'm going to (harmlessly) keep at it with the 'warrior' stuff. That Timmo BS went 10 rounds for no other reason than a few Flyers fans simply didn't like what a few Pens fans had to say which included complimenting your front office for getting more than we thought he was worth.  If you think anything I said in that Timmo thread is trolling you need to find a new forum.  

if you want to see trolling, check out some of the posts in the Hawks section.

Shouldnt i add Jagr as well if im to add Lemieux?

I wouldn't add Lemieux or Jagr. Not physical guys. Just tough to bump off the puck.

Does anybody else see Lindros' pot belly in that capture? Lol I don't feel so bad now.

Stevens was an intimidating guy. Lindros did the bill in a china shop thing very well too, but Stevens was a step ahead of him I think. Scott Stevens gliding towards the puck carrier with his legs braced and bent low caused more dump ins than we can count. He really made players think twice about carrying the puck to the net. And that was every time he was on the ice.

Guys like Kasparaitis and Pronger would punish you, but were also very prone to bad hits and dirty hits. Stevens had his penalties, but blasted players cleanly more times than not.

I wouldn't add Lemieux or Jagr. Not physical guys. Just tough to bump off the puck.

Does anybody else see Lindros' pot belly in that capture? Lol I don't feel so bad now.

Stevens was an intimidating guy. Lindros did the bill in a china shop thing very well too, but Stevens was a step ahead of him I think. Scott Stevens gliding towards the puck carrier with his legs braced and bent low caused more dump ins than we can count. He really made players think twice about carrying the puck to the net. And that was every time he was on the ice.

Guys like Kasparaitis and Pronger would punish you, but were also very prone to bad hits and dirty hits. Stevens had his penalties, but blasted players cleanly more times than not.

Still see many people that dislike Stevens though, even if his hits were clean during that time, it felt like he purposely went out to hurt people.

@Polaris922

Stevens did try to knock people into next week, and was an intimidating presence for his teams... he had many borderline / dirty hits before he became a devil , he was a real terror when he was a Cap too.

I thought about Lemieux though because of his strength on the puck, guys would do heinous **** to him and he could still shoot, deke or whatever. To me that is physical dominance, I reckon it's all about how one thinks about physically dominant because, no one could stop Mario in his prime.  it's just not intimidating until he's doing it to your defense.... @jagrmeister I don't have the recollection of Jagr carrying guys on his back and scoring with one handed shots like I do Mario.  

I have read this a few times, not sure if it is true, but some say that Gordie Howe *never* had a Gordie Howe hat-trick that is named after him...don't see how this is possible, but I have read it a few times.

@Polaris922

Stevens did try to knock people into next week, and was an intimidating presence for his teams... he had many borderline / dirty hits before he became a devil , he was a real terror when he was a Cap too.

I thought about Lemieux though because of his strength on the puck, guys would do heinous **** to him and he could still shoot, deke or whatever. To me that is physical dominance, I reckon it's all about how one thinks about physically dominant because, no one could stop Mario in his prime. it's just not intimidating until he's doing it to your defense.... @jagrmeister I don't have the recollection of Jagr carrying guys on his back and scoring with one handed shots like I do Mario.

True he was very difficult to get off the puck. I think his back issues made him avoid contact where he could, and he's said many times how he wishes he'd been more focused on being in shape when he was playing.

Interesting question.  

The thought of Scott Stevens waiting for me to come across the blue line scares me less than Wayne Maki swinging a stick at my head.

Archived