RJ done for season with hip and abdominal surgery

AJgoal

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The answer to your closing question is your own first two sentences. If everyone here could tell from television or the stands, the trainer should.

I call BS on his not knowing.

He's horrible. He shouldn't even be a public school nurse.

They did know. They knew when they acquired him. Losing two years of harts's contract was that important.

What I can't figure out is if they KNEW they had an excuse to shut him down, why on earth didn't they?

Trying to force him into retirement? Unjust don't get it. And RJ too for his side... It sounds like this injury was also an explanation for his crappy end to last year in the Columbus press box. When it didn't miraculously go away in the fall in philly, why wouldn't he want to sideline himself and get better rather than playing another crappy season someplace?

I mean I know players want to play, but is he that self deluded that he was still contributing? Go get fixed, get better for next year and continue to get paid... We'll grumble but we'd rather that option with a replacement than yet another useless player all year.

Isn't there something called a physical a player has to pass when he comes over in a trade? Maybe McCrossin either doesn't know how to do one, or he just didn't bother?

Again it seems they knew about the injury the whole time. That's what's so weird. Columbus knew. Everyone knew. Hexy wanted the deal anyway. Fine. But why not fix the guy? Why pretend like he wasn't hurt?

The excuse is that some player battle through this particular injury. It was pretty damn obvious It was getting the better of RJ all year. Why wasn't they used as a reason to pull him?

Players want to play but who wants to play crappily if they have an excuse not to and addressing that excuse might make him play better?

I don't get it. More info needed.

Maybe Hextall does value this draft and told berube if he wants to keep his job all season, play Bumberger.

Then bat didn't really work out either then because they're in a crappy draft position for any of the real good ones.

Reminds me of the situation in the movie Any Given Sunday. Just give the shark his shot so he can continue to play without any regard of the players health. Knowing this team they will promote the equipment guy to team trainer. UGH

They did know. They knew when they acquired him. Losing two years of harts's contract was that important.

What I can't figure out is if they KNEW they had an excuse to shut him down, why on earth didn't they?

Trying to force him into retirement? Unjust don't get it. And RJ too for his side... It sounds like this injury was also an explanation for his crappy end to last year in the Columbus press box. When it didn't miraculously go away in the fall in philly, why wouldn't he want to sideline himself and get better rather than playing another crappy season someplace?

I mean I know players want to play, but is he that self deluded that he was still contributing? Go get fixed, get better for next year and continue to get paid... We'll grumble but we'd rather that option with a replacement than yet another useless player all year.

You'd think they'd have shelved him just to open up the cap number.  Bring up Laughton...or somebody.

You're right, doesn't make sense to play him up until now and then shut him down. However, he's only out for the season because it's almost over - he would have been out for 10 weeks. Heck, if they did the surgery after his acquisition he would have been healthy to start the regular season.

McCrossin has been around long enough to know when a player is not being honest about his health. Its time for Hexy to blow up this portion of the organization also.

McCrossin doesn't even know when he's being honest about a players health...how could he possibly know when a player is?

Then bat didn't really work out either then because they're in a crappy draft position for any of the real good ones.

There are really good players where we pick presently. As long as we don't go up much further we should get quality.

You're right, doesn't make sense to play him up until now and then shut him down. However, he's only out for the season because it's almost over - he would have been out for 10 weeks. Heck, if they did the surgery after his acquisition he would have been healthy to start the regular season.

Or IRd him sooner and use his money to trade for someone of value a rental of some sort. Boneheads.

There are really good players where we pick presently. As long as we don't go up much further we should get quality.

Do you sabotage a season for quality?  You consider it for McDavid... but for pretty decent?  nah.

They screwed up at winning and they screwed up at losing.  They screwed up the year.  Hexy's hands have been tied, so expecting crazy moves to improve this team would have been silly, but I'm putting forcing Umberger to play too long up there with forcing Mason to play to soon.  At least Mason playing gives you a better chacne to win games.  I have no idea what forcing Umberger to play achieved for us other than frustration.  They weren't bad enough to make that make sense and they weren't winning more with him so that doesn't make sense either. 

Not a Center so Laughton wouldn't have gotten more time, but White, Straka, Akeson, etc... why not them?  Why not try Bellmaire on the third line as he was doing well? 

just doesn't seem to have been a logic here that I can discern when other possibilities existed.

Where are all the Umberger supporters who argued Umberger was comparable to Hartnell as a player regardless of contracts?? Lol. Crickets?

The only ones who thought that were suffering from brain hemorrhaging.  They've since bled out and are no longer with us. 

The only ones who thought that were suffering from brain hemorrhaging.  They've since bled out and are no longer with us. 

From day one I hated this trade - hated it.  I understand the contract situation but Umberger, injured or not, is toast in the NHL.   I watched him in Columbus multiple times last year and he was toast then...   at least the contract will be over sooner rather than later.

All I can hope is that he walks away from the game holding hands and a smoothie w/ VLC. 

Where are all the Umberger supporters who argued Umberger was comparable to Hartnell as a player regardless of contracts?? Lol. Crickets?

So Polaris - just so I understand you dont think Umberger will score 30 goals?     ;)  :confused[1]:  ;)

ZEV5bGZnZHdFblEx_o_brian-campbell-destro

The only ones who thought that were suffering from brain hemorrhaging. They've since bled out and are no longer with us.

They must've been delusional from it at the time. I'm tempted to go back through the threads and call em out. ;) lol

They must've been delusional from it at the time. I'm tempted to go back through the threads and call em out. ;) lol

There were absolutely more than a handful of people.  There were some -- I think I was one -- that was okay with the contract trade.   I wasn't okay with the player-for-player part despite not being a big fan of Hartnell.

I felt the same. I felt the same when they signed MacDonald to that deal. And Bryz. And the Pronger trade. Even the Briere signing, though he certainly played better than I expected, we still bought him out with 2 years left. And his signing may well have cost us one of Stamkos/Doughty/Pietrangelo. Of course that part we'll never know.

Archived