what's up with Babcock

notfondajane

@notfondajane@WingNut722

Absolutely gone underground, nobody is saying a thing, the playoffs are all that matters. I have made a lot of the Wings fans mad in here, being one myself I still believe the Babs is gone like a cool breeze at seasons end, with the likely destination Toronto. Now Wingnut (and Spike) are going to find me and show up at my door and light a bag of pooh and ring the doorbell for saying it again.

But the playoffs. That is all that matters. We better get our crap together soon or we will get struck by Lightning.

@notfondajane  Babcock had a kind of hard date (basically the start of this present season) to negotiate a new deal. Once that deadline passed, he stated he would not try and do anything during the season, so it was not a distraction....seeing how he had this philosophy, I would imagine the late season push and the playoffs would be totally off limits. Of course, some think (myself included) that he set that hard date so he could get through the season without tipping his hand that he really wants to leave. It basically gets him off the hook from the media.

Honestly, if Babber wants to win, you would think the INCREDIBLE stable of young talent the Wings have assembled prospect wise would give him the best chance of not only winning, but sustaining it for some time. If it's money he wants, the Leafs and Flyers will outbid anyone...those teams could potentially give him 3-5 times more than anyone else could dream of giving him. Mr.Illitch is rich, but he does have a budget, as the Tigers can attest to, they let Scherzer go, so even he has his limits.

I agree that Babs wants to win and his best shot is with Detroit. I still maintain that he's not after a pet project like Toronto. He has nothing to prove.

A few factors that *might* come into play.....

A)He's Canadian and truly loves his country. He knows how passionate people from Ontario are about the Leafs, would not be a huge stretch to see him wanting to turn things around in TO.

B) Coaching Toronto would be a HUGE challenge. If he was even remotely successful, he would have a bronze bust in front of the Leafs arena and would have a lasting legacy as a hockey GOD. His great grandchildren would be worshipped...LOL!....although I must say, Babs is not about feeding his ego, not even close, very down to earth and well grounded.

C)If he wanted to eventually retire and spend more time with his family, taking the Leafs job would allow him to maximize his income into one mid ranged type of contract. He could make more in TO in 5 years than he could in 10-15 elsewhere.

@jammer2

With the Leafs blowing things up they're going to be a long time project. I wonder if he'd really want that headache? 

Now if they won the lottery and got Mcdavid that's going to speed the process up. Then there's already light at the end of the tunnel.

I wonder if the same applies to Buffalo? I'm not sure if they're keeping Nolan or not? If they decide not to, and they win the lottery....they've already got some good prospects...wonder if Pegula backs up a truck full of money to the babcock residence?

@flyercanuck  @jammer2

All viable options, gents, but none of them will produce another Stanley Cup for Babcock by the time he retires with the same odds as coaching in Detroit (although you couldn't tell by the way the Wings are playing lately).  He's got money and plenty of it.  He's already a hockey god in Canada for winning two straight Olympic golds.  He may not get the bronze bust but he's surely already a lock for the Hall of Fame.  

What a lot of folks aren't considering is Babcock has played out his option before, leaving the Ducks for greener pastures in Detroit.

How many coaches can do that? Think about it, 30 jobs in the entire freaking world, literally hundreds if not thousands of people fighting for them, and Babcock could leave the Wings (like he did the Ducks) and ask for a blank check from any number of teams, and he would get it. Iron Mike did it, Bowman, maybe a few others. And Babs does it with class and style, not appearing to be an egoist, whatever he decides he wont look like an ass clown like Keenan did several times, or a prima donna like Bowman when he left Montreal in a huff and went to Buffalo and when he kept threatening Detroit with retirement. Babcock is class itself, or if not he does a good job of presenting himself that way....

There's always the Penguins...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they take a big run at him. They're closer to contending than Toronto is. Although the Leafs job would be one of those that could immortalize Babcock if he could make it work.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they take a big run at him. They're closer to contending than Toronto is. Although the Leafs job would be one of those that could immortalize Babcock if he could make it work.

There's been talk of it. A lot of coaches would probably like the idea of Crosby Malkin and Letang. Not sure if he'd do it but he'd have a shot at a Cup without going through an entire rebuild.

@notfondajane@WingNut722

Absolutely gone underground, nobody is saying a thing, the playoffs are all that matters. I have made a lot of the Wings fans mad in here, being one myself I still believe the Babs is gone like a cool breeze at seasons end, with the likely destination Toronto.

No chance. The timing is all wrong. The Leafs aren't anywhere close to being a competitive team. It's a gong show, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

This is just the Toronto media trying to create a positive story for Leafs fans to latch onto.  :mellow:

I won't respond at long length, but I still think there is a solid chance for him to stay in Detroit, unlike my counterpart, @yave1964 . I'm less pessimistic.

Babs SEEMS very easy to read--he wants to win. Like @WingNut722 , I think his best chance of etching another copy of his name on the Cup is at Detroit. I think he appreciates the relationship he has with Illitch & KH. He appreciates the history.

But it also depends on how he defines "winning." Is there a chance that financial gain and the CHANCE to win a Cup for the Leafs--though it will be slim--might be enough to get him there? He DOES love Canada, eh? (And if he was actually able to pull that off...that would be icing on the cake of his career.

I honestly don't think he has made up his mind what he will do, and I think it will depend on a number of factors: how far we go in the playoffs, how much Illitch is willing to give him to stay, his family's wishes--isn't his daughter still at U of M? That matters too, I think. It may not be as central as winning, but again, it depends on how weighty the family winning is in that definition of "winning" which he says over and over again.

By NO means am I saying it's a lock that he will stay in Detroit. No way would I say that. But I think it just depends on how he defines that word. He's pretty much done everything that a coach can do--except repeat Cup wins that would put him into legend status, and that might be the "winning" that he is really looking for...to be the best coach of his era. Hard to give him that if he's only won the one Cup in 2008. He's certainly "one of the best." But with only 1 Cup win, hard to say he's "the best of his era." Quenneville has two.

Another Cup is between him and Legend, and I think he knows it. His patriotism might tug his heart strings enough, though. There's no telling.

Seeing as there is only one red wings fan on this forum, i guess you made yourself mad......

Umm there are like 5 of us in here who are diehard and rabid and love this forum and treat it as a great meeting place to talk all things Winged Wheel and talk about other teams as well. I may be the most vocal but our small but loyal contingent, bigger in here than any team save Philadelphia and possibly the Penguin crowd, cannot be denied.

Umm there are like 5 of us in here who are diehard and rabid and love this forum and treat it as a great meeting place to talk all things Winged Wheel and talk about other teams as well. I may be the most vocal but our small but loyal contingent, bigger in here than any team save Philadelphia and possibly the Penguin crowd, cannot be denied.

Sorry im an ignoranus

Archived