Flyers Picking 6-8?

yup and the players I mentioned do bring the size factor into play.  All above 6ft and greater than 200 lbs.

Zacha 6’ 2” @ 210 lbs

Provorov 6’ 0” @ 201 lbs

Werenzki 6’ 2” @ 206 lbs

Even @jammer2 suggetion of Brandon Carlo is 6' 5" and just shy of 200 sitting at 198 lbs.

@BobbyClarkeFan16 suggestion of Paul Bittner, he stands at 6' 4" and 202 lbs.

Paul Bittner is yet another big physical power forward who is not afraid of traffic or playing in front of the net. He also has the skating, vision and passing skills to accentuate his big-bodied physical presence. Paul had an excellent pre-draft year. His ES 60 of 2.8 was tied for third best of first year 2015 draft eligible players in the CHL (the others being, Lawson Crouse and Tyler Soy). Like his Portland Winterhawks team, Paul is off to a slow start with just three points in nine games. However, he is getting his chances. He had two breakaways in the US Top Prospects game but just couldn’t bury them. Paul just has too much talent not to break out from his slow start.Profile from: Eldon MacDonald of The Hockey Writers - updated Oct. 19th

Big, long good skating winger who is smart and can make very good plays. Paul will attack with his speed but has the awareness to make plays off of it after he has created room. Good shot and will jump into openings quickly to take advantage. He is a winger who makes it very hard on defenders because he asserts with his size, not in a punishing manner, but in an imposing one.

Analysis: Craig Button - TSNs Direct of Scouting - updated Sept. 25th

A big body that is hard to move…possesses a powerful stride that is hard to stop once he gets going…wide skating base allows him to bull his way around the ice and power through his checks…shows some decent hockey sense and awareness…possesses decent vision and quick hands…has room to add some serious muscle to his already impressive frame…has a long reach…physical play could be ramped up…still learning the defensive game, and is raw, but talented, in aspects…combination of size, hands and vision could make him a formidable offensive force in the future. (August 2014)

The kid also has some speed which I know some on here would like the Flyers to address.

Yes so that is things to consider when its BPA is depth in the organization and does skill trump size? Where does it effect speed.

I trust Hexy will make the right choice...the only concern with him is will he do the same when it comes to evaluating the head coach...he needs to find the right shepard for his young flock he is gathering...Berube just isn't it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I trust Hexy will make the right choice...the only concern with him is will he do the same when it comes to evaluating the head coach...he needs to find the right shepard for his young flock he is gathering...Berube just isn't it.

I just can't see Hexy sticking with Berube, if he does, then this organization is truly screwed.  I am patiently counting down the minutes to when Berube is officially given his walking papers.  I am trying not to be knee jerk reactionry, but if Babbcock can somehow be persuaded to come to Philly, I am all for it.

Outside of Babbcock, I have no idea who else could be a viable candidate.

@pilldoc

I can't see Marner dropping to 8th either. But we don't have any more games against the Pens, so barring a team with more points winning the lottery we'll hopefully pick 1st or 7th. I don't expect Marner to be there either but funnier things have happened. Seth Jones fell to 4th a couple years ago. Couturier to 8th.

I like Meier but would probably trade down if I was targeting him.

For those a little leery about taking a Russian, I'm the bus driver. Provorov has been playing over in NA for 4 years. That tells me he wants to be here. He's got decent size and plays well all over the ice. Skates well. We're all thrilled about Sanheim...he put up 5g 24 a 29 pts his draft year and 15g 50 a 65 pts this year. Provorov in his first year in junior has put up 15g 46a 61 pts. I'm impressed.

@pilldoc

I can't see Marner dropping to 8th either. But we don't have any more games against the Pens, so barring a team with more points winning the lottery we'll hopefully pick 1st or 7th. I don't expect Marner to be there either but funnier things have happened. Seth Jones fell to 4th a couple years ago. Couturier to 8th.

I like Meier but would probably trade down if I was targeting him.

For those a little leery about taking a Russian, I'm the bus driver. Provorov has been playing over in NA for 4 years. That tells me he wants to be here. He's got decent size and plays well all over the ice. Skates well. We're all thrilled about Sanheim...he put up 5g 24 a 29 pts his draft year and 15g 50 a 65 pts this year. Provorov in his first year in junior has put up 15g 46a 61 pts. I'm impressed.

Well they draft that kid they would be set on the blueline for a decade or better.

@flyercanuck

If the Flyers draft Provorov, I'd certainly have no problems with that at all. Defensemen hold such high value. Look no further than a guy like Braydon Coburn. Tampa Bay gave up a boat load to get him. If you've got a defensive pipeline with six or seven guys who at a minimum have top four pairing potential, you've got a gold mine worth of resources. Out of the six or seven, if you've got at least three or four who have top two pairing potential, you can really make a killing when it comes to addressing other needs. The only thing that worries me about adding a defenseman like Provorov is that it's yet another left handed defenseman to the stable. A few guys are going to have to learn how to play on the right side. But if that's the worst case scenario, that's a great scenario to have.

It's difficult to get a read on what the Flyers will do because Hextall is so closely guarded on how he's going to roll. I didn't think the Flyers were going to choose Sanheim last year (I really thought Hextall was going to take Alex Tuch), so who knows what Hextall's going to do at the draft. It's very interesting to speculate though because Hextall has said in the past that this team needed some size because they were small. However, I don't think they're particularly small on the wing when you look at the players. Voracek's a big guy, Simmonds is a big guy, Umberger's a big guy, Schenn's got some decent size, same with Raffl. I know that the combine will open more eyes because that's where a lot of players will rise. Another name to keep an eye on is Kyle Connor, who is also a late 96 (he was born in December, so in some cases, he's only a month older than some of his peers in the 97 draft), but has got some real good skill to his game. He also lit up the U17 tournament last year and I know that's a tournament the Flyers scout heavily. Every one of the last few players they've drafted (Laughton, Morin, Sanheim) have all starred in that tournament.

I have to admit, I love draft time and all the speculating.

Safe to say we will be picking from 6-8? If we lose today against pens maybe we get to 6-7 spot. Either way our fate is becoming known this summer at the draft, unless, we get the win and get the number 1 pick. Hahahahaha we aren't the pens and crying about moving and bankruptcy. Maybe we should start? Just kidding. But anyways since we will be picking at 6-8 who are we going to pick ? Who will be available ? I'm hearing that some prospects are moving up the chart and o e pushed hannifan to 4. True?

Here I thought you were going to tout some 6'8" D-man prospect to us and I got a bit excited that we might get the 2nd coming of Chara... or at least Kjell.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

As I mentioned with Meier, if you've got Connor as your guy you should be trading down to get him. I'd rather take one of the "consensus" guys in the top ten.

Totally get what you're saying. However, Connor is really beginning to climb and from a few things that I've read, if he has a good combine, there's talk that might go as high as five. The other thing about Connor that I was reading was that while he's currently committed to the University of Michigan, there's talk that he's thinking of taking the Major Junior route and joining the Saginaw Spirit, so he's looking at possibly playing against his peers and getting a lot of games under his belt. That's going to appeal to a lot of teams.

If he's the guy the Flyers are targeting and if they can get him at 10, I'd like to see them move down and pick up some assets along the way. As mentioned in another post, I really think Hextall is going to look at shaking up the club and I hate the idea of mentioning this, but with Voracek up for renewal and probably looking at a 7.5 - 8 million per year pay cheque, it won't surprise me if Ron starts sending out feelers to see what he can get for Jake. If he does move Jake, he should get a very good return on him.

This mock draft has Kyle Connor at #26 to Tampa???

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2015/

It is a damn good haul i say for the Flyers Ivan Provorov and Jake DeBrusk...regardless of where guys are suppose to go to be able to be a top defensemen and a LW in round would be impressive.....man the farm system would be looking up for sure. I really would just be happy with taking two 1st round prospects than just trading up and get one.

Well, that mock has Columbus picking 6 which is impossible, so I'm not sure how old it is. Also, there's no way Montreal and Tampa can play each other in the ECF, so the Flyers would have a lower pick than they're slotted for there. I do like Chicago winning the Cup, though, even if it does make our second this year really late.

@OccamsRazor

I think Kyle Connor could be a great pick.  Needs to bulk up on size as he sits at 183 lbs.

http://thehockeywriters.com/kyle-connor-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/

A smart two-way forward who sets up his linemates with well-timed passes…is mature and intelligent with the puck, and does not rush a play no matter the pressure he is under…has impressive hands and vision, but it is the creativity and hockey sense that make him most dangerous…sees lanes opening and hits his targets consistently…also has a decent one-timer, but is definitely a pass-first guy… plays well away from the puck, constantly moving in order to get open…not overly physical…comes back deep into his own zone to make himself available…needs to add considerable strength, but the potential is there. (December 2014)

A responsible up and down centre-wing with excellent skating ability and feel for the attack zone. He is smart with the puck and his soft mitts allow him to hit linemates on the move, or put his hard shot on the net. Finds the open space and creates scoring chances. Has an extra gear that he can hit to get to that scoring lane. Is a patient puck-handler who can slow things down in order to break them open. Needs more credit for being a finisher, as he really can score, even though he is always willing to use his feet and then send a soft pass to a teammate. Not a hard nosed wall player but will engage. Smooth skating winger with soft hands and good instincts. His deceptive stride shows excellent acceleration which he uses to get by pairs of defenders and able to get of quality chances. When he shows more edge, intensity and activity in the high traffic areas we will be sold. Like so many youngsters, his defensive game is a work in progress. He does come back. He needs to get more overall strength and when that comes he will be not only more able to be physical but also a even stronger puck carrier. Was named to the USA Developmental team playing in the Ivan Hlinka Tournament the last two years . Was named to the U.S. World Junior A roster for the Junior A Challenge. Committed to the University of Michigan.
--Bill Placzek—

Highly energetic USHL pivot with slick puck handling ability, Kyle Connor drives the offense for the Youngstown Phantoms. Connor was a standout for Team USA at the 2014 Under-18 Tournament as an underage forward producing at a point-per-game and he’s clipping along over that rate in his third season with Youngstown. Named USHL Player of the Week for the week ending January 25th, Connor’s four goals and five points in three games added to his impressive season point totals. Connor sits at 19 goals and 48 points through 38 games which ranks him second in USHL scoring. Committed to the University of Michigan next year, Kyle Connor has a bright future as a two-way forward who’s capable of becoming a top line player at the next level based on his superb skating skills, strong hockey sense and driven motor.”

International Tournaments:

Kyle Connor has played for Team USA four times and has won two gold medals. In 20 games, he’s scored nine goals and eight assists.

ETA:

1-2 years

Risk/Reward Analysis:

Risk: 1/5 Reward: 4.5/5

NHL Potential:

1st line two-way center that plays in all scenarios (ES/PP/PK).

Strengths:

Stickhandling at top speed

Acceleration

Agility

Hockey sense/IQ

Defensive awareness

Positioning

Versatile

Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:

Getting stronger

Fantasy Hockey Potential:

Offensive: 8/10 Defensive: 7/10

NHL Player Comparison:

NHL comparison: Jonathan Toews

Just from a need perspective, I'd prefer Werenski over Provorov because Werenski shoots right. And while I think the team needs to restock at forward, you can't have enough young defensemen.

Just excited that the team has two firsts, and will have plenty of options going in.

Needs to bulk up on size as he sits at 183 lbs.

Well that is true but he is bigger than Mitch Marner who comes in at 160 from the reports i saw....now that is shrimpy as hell.

This mock draft has Kyle Connor at #26 to Tampa???

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2015/

It is a damn good haul i say for the Flyers Ivan Provorov and Jake DeBrusk...regardless of where guys are suppose to go to be able to be a top defensemen and a LW in round would be impressive.....man the farm system would be looking up for sure. I really would just be happy with taking two 1st round prospects than just trading up and get one.

Interesting... though I would be surprised if the Flyers drafted 4 defensemen, 1 goalie, and 1 forward through 4 rounds.

Just from a need perspective, I'd prefer Werenski over Provorov because Werenski shoots right. And while I think the team needs to restock at forward, you can't have enough young defensemen.

Just excited that the team has two firsts, and will have plenty of options going in.

I'd take either Provorov is suppose to be a better skater and have a better offensive upside. And Werenski is a left hand shot not right.

But Werenski could slide a few more year since he is going to Michigan.

Interesting... though I would be surprised if the Flyers drafted 4 defensemen, 1 goalie, and 1 forward through 4 rounds.

Huh were do you get those numbers? Debrusk is a LW...and goalie they can get through undrafted free agency or later in the draft.

Is that combined draft???

And you really can't count Morin and Sanheim till they have made the Flyer squad so defensemen are worth their weight in gold later and even if need be can be traded and moved around.

Right now it's BPA at their pick so if they think it is a defenseman i see they taking one....you can't really count guys who haven't made it yet so therefore i think you must still draft like you need a defensemen...till at least one comes through.

So i have no problem with them taking another defenseman with their 1st 1st rounder or a LW with it if need be then if they like take a defenseman with the 2nd 1st rounder.

I'm just not fond of taking goaltenders with a 1st unless they are a generational talent...and there are none so try and get one in the 3rd or later.

Archived