• Capitals in 4 (Sweep)
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Islanders in 4 (Sweep)
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7

Going to be watching this one close.  When will the Caps turn into the same old Caps.  I think the Isles forecheck can wear down the Caps. And with the lack of officiating, its going to be the best 5V5 team.  I think that will be the Isles.  Caps will lean back heavily on Ovechkin, I think the Isles will try to extremely physical with him, and take him off his game.

I also have the Isles in 6. The Islanders can roll 4 lines and eventually wear down the Caps, Holtby with 2 shut outs and plays stellar in the nets before succumbing to a deeper and meaner Islanders squad.

this could go either way as far as i'm concerned they are both pretty good teams. 

I think i like the caps a little more because there are more Hershey Bears on it... I like that Holtby kid.

I like Barry Trotz, i like that he's able to get Ovechkin to ******* back check... that's right i saw it this year with my own eyes, he back checked more than once.

but i think the islanders are the better overall team.

i do think this will be one of the more entertaining first round series.

I like that Holtby kid.

I saw him play one of his frist games a few years back, against Toronto on Hockey Night in Canada. Holtby stood on his head an shut out the Leafs 3-0....been a huge fan ever since. I traded for him in NANANA this year and now he will be one of my 5 keepers for the next decade or so. I love how agile he is, his post to post move is probably 3rd or 4th in the league, just behind Price, Quick and Rinne. Awesome glove hand also...we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg with this guy....he will steadily get better, he's the kind of player that works VERY hard at honing his craft....hard work AND amazing natural talent = the Cup someday.

I don't know why......but I have the Caps winning this series in 5.

I know the Isles have had an overall good season, I know they have very capable players, but the fact the Isles sorta stumbled into the playoffs, while the Capitals barged right into them makes me think this is the year Washington takes EVERYTHING seriously and shocks the NHL world.

Barry Trotz has this team working in such a way, that, despite some shortcomings on the team, I believe may have enough to go far, go deep....and probably win it all and finally put an exclamation point on the career of one Alex Ovechkin.

Plus, I truly believe Braden Holtby is a bit underrated, what with everyone talking about Price, Dubnyk, the Hamburglar, Lundquist/Talbot, etc, etc.....

Lots of good reasons why people WOULD be talking about those netminders, but IMO, Holtby ranks right up there with those guys...and in some areas, surpasses some of those guys.

Caps will go as far as Holtby and the team 'buying in' to Coach Trotz will take them....and this season, just have this gut feeling...it could be VERY far.

And may the Lord help me, as I found myself agreeing on a poll vote with HJ.....   :lol:

Islanders in 7. Tavares is disappointed with Benn stealing his Art Ross this year, and will play his best games to date.

One thing that really jumps out to me about this matchup:

Special teams. Specifically, Isles PK vs Caps PP.

Isles PK, 78% on the year (ranked near last) vs Caps PP, ranked #1 at over 25% = Bad things for Isles man, baaaad things.....

Thing is, Isles will need to play aggressively, but balance that out with being SMART....want to stay out of that penalty box as much as possible. If not, this series could run shorter than many think.

I'm really cheering for the Isles. I really just like that team. I think their forwards will be able to exploit the Caps D more than the Caps forwards will be able to exploit the Isles D. Or something like that. Isles in 6 (yes, I realize I'm making this prediction after they won Game 1...)

@Podein25

Well Isles fans and their various other supporters have to be feeling real good after that convincing win yesterday.

It wasn't so surprising that the Isles won the game, but the manner in which they did it, limiting a very good Caps offense to just the one goal, while playing  a consistent forward moving game themselves.

Isles simply weren't an elite defensive team on the season, but you wouldn't know that by the way the game last night went.

Sure, it's only Game 1, but for the Isles, it was Game 1 ON THE ROAD....the ol 'steal one on the road'....though to be fair, New York did more than just 'steal' this one.

I too am pulling for the Isles, although I believe the Caps to be the more Stanley Cup viable team between the two.

We will see what the Isles can follow up with in Game 2.

@Podein25

Well Isles fans and their various other supporters have to be feeling real good after that convincing win yesterday.

It wasn't so surprising that the Isles won the game, but the manner in which they did it, limiting a very good Caps offense to just the one goal, while playing a consistent forward moving game themselves.

Isles simply weren't an elite defensive team on the season, but you wouldn't know that by the way the game last night went.

Sure, it's only Game 1, but for the Isles, it was Game 1 ON THE ROAD....the ol 'steal one on the road'....though to be fair, New York did more than just 'steal' this one.

I too am pulling for the Isles, although I believe the Caps to be the more Stanley Cup viable team between the two.

We will see what the Isles can follow up with in Game 2.

I didn't see any of the game, just the highlights. But I guess you did watch it eh? Good to know they can play that way on the road.

Can't wait to watch some of this one tonight.   I expect the Caps to come out really physical or this.  I want to see how the officials handle this.   So far, after two nights of the playoffs, the officiating has been less than stellar.

A few notes from this series, the NYI are trying to go 2-0 in a series for the first time since 83, the last of their 4 Cup dynasty. On the other side of the ledger, OV is goalless for the past 7 playoff games....honestly, who cares what you do in the regular season when you can't deliver when it counts the most. TIme to start thinking about dealing this guy and acquiring North American players.

Can't wait to watch some of this one tonight.   I expect the Caps to come out really physical or this.  I want to see how the officials handle this.   So far, after two nights of the playoffs, the officiating has been less than stellar.

They will need to do at LEAST the bolded...and keep the play on the Isles end as much as possible.

No Braden Holtby means no rock solid netminder to bail out the Caps if they screw up too many assignments.

Yea, yea, I know...Holtby was far from rock solid in Game 1, but still, he had a good season, it WASN'T by accident, and now the Caps need to rely on Justin Peters.

No offense to Peters, but he is no Holtby.

Game two was fun to watch.   Isles sat back and the Caps took advantage.   Need to see a better view of Backstrom's goal on the rush.  I thought that Ovi floated in off sides just prior to Backstrom crossing the blue line.  Great win for the Red, hate to say it.

• 2 weeks later...

Go Isles! 

When @jammer2 predicted good things for the Isles in October it got my attention. He's rarely wrong about things hockey-related, so I expect him to be proven right once again this evening with an Isles win!

(Plus winning my local pool depends on it)

Sorry bro....didn't think the Islanders would choke like they did. Halak held them in it though, would not have been close without him. Basically, the Isles got outcoached, and I didn't factor for that.

Yeah, that was a heartbreaker and not just because it almost certainly means I can't win my pool and the $500 prize money. The Isles looked gassed last night. They were chipping it in but not able to retrieve any pucks. Is the WSH D that good at moving the puck?

Archived