If your team won the draft lottery....

J0e Th0rnton

What player on your team would immediately become a trade piece?

No I don't want the bullcrap "VLC" type posts. I mean legitimate guys you would not normally want to trade, but now could because you are getting a generational center.

Sharks? Logan Couture.

Reason being, he is 26, of high value to just about anyone. Plays opposing teams top lines in a shutdown role and contributes 60 or so points a year. His NTC does not click in until next season.

Since Wilson is in "Rebuild" mode, and Thornton/Marleau are full NMC's, and we have Hertl and Tierney currently able to play C as well, Couture could be flipped for a good defenseman back our way. Or even a solid Roster player + 1st Pick from someone like The Devils, or Oilers who are dying for centers.

Ahhh to dream....

Brayden Schenn. While he's looked ok in stretches, including on Couturier's right wing at the end of the season, having a bona fide 1-2 punch at center would allow Schenn to be traded in part of a package for a LW for the top line.

Hmmm....getting a generational 1C.......

Tampa Bay:

Bolts are actually pretty stacked in this area (Stamkos, Johnson, Fillppula, Namestnikov, Killorn, Boyle)...so much so that some of these guys play wing more often than not (Filppula, Killorn) in order to keep the others at their natural positions.

Buuuuut....if my team had the chance to have McDavid and I am looking at several players that would need to get paid, and under the salary cap couldn't POSSIBLY keep them all in the long run, I'd probably trade a someone like Tyler Johnson, who, outside of Stamkos himself, would probably have the highest value of that group of centers.

Get the most for Johnson (which should be quite a bit) then align Stamkos and McDavid as the 1 and 2 C's....and the rest can fall into place after that, assigning wingers as they fit best starting from the top of course.

I would NEVER advocate trading Tyler Johnson, as he is showing signs of being a legit top six NHL'er for YEARS to come, but for a chance to get a generational C, something's gotta give.

And for the record, the reason I wouldn't trade Stamkos himself is because A) he is currently the face of the franchise, and between fans making the connection with him and the team plus Stamkos merchandise sales, that'd be shooting yourself in the foot....and B), just like in Pittsburgh, you CAN have a tremendous 1-2 punch at center that can elevate the play of just about any talented wingers you put with them!

Minnesota Wild:

Not as deep at C as the Bolts, but still a nice group.

Mikael Granlund, Mikko Koivu, Charlie Coyle, Erik Haula.

Now, Haula has seen production drop off drastically from last year to this, Koivu is already entering his non peak prime years (though he is still good), and Charlie Coyle has shown hints and flashes of what he COULD be, but hasn't put it all together yet.

So that leaves Mikael Granlund as the undisputed 1C on the team, the one with the most upside, and the guy who even now as an 'unfinished product' shows tremendous vision on the ice, the ability to make plays out of nothing and up the game of his wingers.

I'd LOVE to have a Granlund-McDavid combo up the middle, but since Granlund represents the best trade value of the group of centers, he'd be the one who'd need to get traded, with McDavid obviously taking the 1C position and the rest of the team built around that.

Again, like the thread postulated, I would in NO WAY want to trade Granlund, but if you have a chance to bring in a McDavid and get a nice return for Granlund, you do it.

I'd shop the hell out of the pick if were GM of the team that won the first overall choice. You could really bleed another franchise and setup your franchise for success over the years. Look at the Lindros deal and that's the type of package you could potentially get for a guy like McDavid. If you could get a couple of young roster players, several prospects, and multiple first round picks, then I think it's something you consider. I know at the time of the Lindros trade, everyone thought the Flyers made out like bandits, but all those players that Quebec/Colorado got helped build their Stanley Cup winning teams. I think it's something to seriously consider.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  Ha ha....awww, pretty cute kittie right there!  Priceless, some of the expressions they give. Then you hear from some different tools that animals have no souls.....rubbish, anything with that much life, to have that kind of a reaction has a soul....that is part of the reason I boycott the Catholic church, cause they say animals don't go to heaven....I'll see my Husky there, or at least the soul/spirit that used to inhabit his body....sorry for the rant....LOL!

Regardless of whether the Leafs win the draft lottery or not, everyone on the team is available for trade. :mellow:

I'd be more worried about the Leafs winning the lottery and trading away their #1 pick to acquire Joe Thornton. The NHL needs to implement a "self preservation" clause so teams with management prone to making suicidal decisions can't harm their fan base any longer. :)

The NHL needs to implement a "self preservation" clause so teams with management prone to making suicidal decisions can't harm their fan base any longer. :)

Funny you should say that, I believe it's being drawn up right now....I believe it will be called "the Milbury Mulligan".

In all seriousness though, the OHL actually does have a rule like that, you can't trade 1st round picks.....but you can deal them after they have been on your team for a year and they reach the 2nd season of their eligibility. This stops teams from actually selling the farm and cattle to make a run at the Memorial Cup/League Championship.....that is why 2nd rounders are so very valuable in the OHL.

Video explanation of the lottery, odds an how the eventual winners are picked....

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2015/04/17/draft-lottery-odds-breakdown-and-video-explaination/

Buffalos odds of moving down are 80%, the Flyers odds of moving down are 23%????

If Buffalo moves down, EVERYONE else is too.

Regardless of whether the Leafs win the draft lottery or not, everyone on the team is available for trade. :mellow:

I'd be more worried about the Leafs winning the lottery and trading away their #1 pick to acquire Joe Thornton. The NHL needs to implement a "self preservation" clause so teams with management prone to making suicidal decisions can't harm their fan base any longer. :)

No worries. Thornton will not waive. 

Archived