Round 2: #1 Anaheim (P) vs. #3 Calgary (P)

pilldoc

Round 2: #1 Anaheim (P) vs. #3 Calgary (P)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Round 2: #1 Anaheim (P) vs. #3 Calgary (P)

• Ducks in 4 (Sweep)
    • Ducks in 5
    • Ducks in 6
    • Ducks in 7
    • Flames in 4 (Sweep)
    • Flames in 5
    • Flames in 6
    • Flames in 7

Not much of a series, Ducks in five (or less) as they easily advance to the Western conference finals. No offense to the Flames but they are outmatched and outclassed in this series.

These are the Ducks we are talking about who have not made it past the conference semi-finals in over 5 years.  I agree on paper they are a much better team and should win the series. However, the Flames will scap with them and I think win at least 2 games.  I'll take the Ducks in 6.  Ducks should not look past the Flames.

I am rooting for Calgary here, but this is a classic 'David vs Goliath' series.

So, rev those sling arms, Flames fans.....the Anaheim Philistines are on their way!  :D

To go with the David and Goliath analogy:

Anaheim: "Am I a dog that thou comest to me with staves?"

Calgary: "No, but we're going to beat you down like a dog!"

Okay... That last part isn't in the Bible...

I'm calling for the Flames in 7.....but having trouble belieiving my prediction will come true. This is gonna be a WAR. Hillier is just as good as Andersson.....right now at least. Flames will need contributions from more than just the 1st line. Stajan has to come up big, maybe his big goal will get him untracked.

To go with the David and Goliath analogy:

Anaheim: "Am I a dog that thou comest to me with staves?"

Calgary: "No, but we're going to beat you down like a dog!"

Okay... That last part isn't in the Bible...

No, but it sounds like it could be a GREAT line in a Heathcliff and Marmaduke comic strip.....haha.

Hartley had a hilarious quote today in talking to the media:

"We have two white sheets on the wall in our office: strengths and weaknesses of the Ducks. We're running out of paper on the strengths side and on the weaknesses side it's still a blank piece of paper. So, to be honest with you, I don't even know why we're going there, but, you know... we'll do our best."

rookie kids never win the cup, not even Gretzky. Calgary will not have a chance against Anaheim

Dryden won a cup, and then the Calder the following year. Roy won a cup as a rookie. Marchand and Seguin were both rooks when Boston won. Plenty of others.

Anaheim is a lot better team than the Nucks though.

Anaheim is a lot better team than the Nucks though.

I was very impressed with their overall game, but especially impressed by how they dictated play by winning the neutral zone with big, aggressive play and puck support. They turn the puck over and against the Jets made them pay every single time it seemed.

If Calgary turns the puck over in the neutral zone like they did vs VAN, it could be a short series....

@Podein25  Agreed, the challenge the Flames face is to all of a sudden become responsible in the neutral zone especially. As you know, this rarely happens just cause you wish it, it's installed over months and months of having it drilled in....a lesson that the Flames have yet to learn apparently. The Ducks puck support was off the charts good....and yeah, one little mistake and WHAM it's in your net. I don't see much of a difference between Pavlec and Hillier....it will be up to the Flames defense to keep the Ducks forwards in front of them.

Agreed, the challenge the Flames face is to all of a sudden become responsible in the neutral zone especially. As you know, this rarely happens just cause you wish it, it's installed over months and months of having it drilled in....a lesson that the Flames have yet to learn apparently. The Ducks puck support was off the charts good....and yeah, one little mistake and WHAM it's in your net. I don't see much of a difference between Pavlec and Hillier....it will be up to the Flames defense to keep the Ducks forwards in front of them.

Well, Hiller will be ultra-motivated against his old team that didn't want him. Sometimes that can really light a fire. 

Otherwise, yeah, I think the Flames have their work cut out for them. Guys like Brodie, Russell and Wideman have logged lots of minutes already in the absence of Giordano. Can they keep it up?

The Flames found some magic in the line of Stajan, Jones and Ferland, but can they keep it up? They might get Bouma back at some point (very tight lipped about him), which should help. I like his game, it's built for playoff hockey.

@Podein25  The big problem the Flames and Hillier will have is, you can't stop what you don't see....who is gonna box out big huge Maroon, the Ducks go for that screen play a LOT...and the only way to counter it is to move his big 6'5 245 lb frame out of the way....easier said than done!  The Jets got burned for 2 big goals this way, both goals were tipping pts in their specific games....so the Flames MUST find a a way to counter this!!

Flames are well known for a very active offensive defense...they will need to utilize that ad nauseam to try and keep the Ducks mostly to their own end and playing defense when they'd rather be rushing up ice and sitting on the opposing goalie's front porch.

Both Van and Ana feature a good mix of offense, hitting, and fast transition.

Flames handled Vancouver by pressing, pressing, pressing in the offensive zone as much as possible.

Handling Anaheim the same way will be key....BUT, the Ducks are simply a bigger, meaner version of what the Canucks were....and thus will be much harder to contain the same way.

Still though, that has to be Calgary's plan:  Keep Anaheim in their own zone as much as possible.

Jonas Hiller will be facing monstrous stretches, however, when the Ducks do break out. We will see how strong his desire is then to beat his former team.

Flames will need to rely on battle tested D-men Derek Engelland and Dennis Wideman to contain those large Anaheim forwards and keep them off Hiller's back....and will also need to rely heavily on the experience and leadership of vets on the front lines such as Juri Hudler, Mason Raymond, and Matt Stajan to help settle the younger guys when they face sure adversity during the series.

Calgary's got a shot if they can execute....but man, it is going to be an uphill battle for them all the way dealing with this Anaheim Ducks team.

This time, David may actually miss with the stone....and Goliath actually DOES feed his flesh to the fowls of the air and the beasts of the wild... ;)

@jammer2

Well, I heard the Flames GM on the radio the other day and he was praising the play of Engelland....so that's something I guess. Schlemko has also played well for them as far as I can tell, but he's not really a porch-clearer...

@Podein25  Not even close, was flipping back and forth from this game and the NFL draft...Flames got caught standing around watching and not being strong on the puck. Based on this game, a sweep looks in order...Flames totally outworked, outclassed....UGLY!!

Not even close, was flipping back and forth from this game and the NFL draft...Flames got caught standing around watching and not being strong on the puck. Based on this game, a sweep looks in order...Flames totally outworked, outclassed....UGLY!!

Yeah. At best I could maybe see them winning one at home with the help of the fans. But even that will be a chore. Plus they lost some guys last night. Ferland left, looked concussed. And I think one of their D went down...

@Podein25  ANNNNDDD just like I said, Maroon set up in front of Hillier and deflected a pass for a goal....if they keep letting him set up shop there, he will continually burn them...or at the very least screen Hillier so he does not get good looks at the puck.

ANNNNDDD just like I said, Maroon set up in front of Hillier and deflected a pass for a goal....if they keep letting him set up shop there, he will continually burn them...or at the very least screen Hillier so he does not get good looks at the puck.

Yeah you were bang on. Most of their goals were down low. I turned the channel after it was 3-0 even though it's the worst lead in hockey. I'm only surprised it didn't end 10-1. The Flames really have their work cut out for them...

Ummm....guys....

It looks like Goliath just kicked sand in the face of David....

David better have that sling ready to go for Game 2...otherwise "the fowl of the air and the beasts of the wild" really WILL have a feast....

And even if David doesn't quite strike Goliath in the forehead and 'fells him'....at least hit him in the kneecaps and slow him down a bit while you load up another smooth stone........ ;)

Ummm....guys....

It looks like Goliath just kicked sand in the face of David....

David better have that sling ready to go for Game 2...otherwise "the fowl of the air and the beasts of the wild" really WILL have a feast....

And even if David doesn't quite strike Goliath in the forehead and 'fells him'....at least hit him in the kneecaps and slow him down a bit while you load up another smooth stone........ ;)

It's not happening. Calgary is done

Archived