Upcoming decisions....Flyer cap expenditures

jammer2

Well, the Flyers are facing a number of upcoming decisions that should give us a much better idea of exactly what a Hexy run regime entails.

2015-16 Flyer UFA's

1)Jay Rosehill....please, let's move on...not needed, never was. Let the new Flyers be a team that emphasizes skill over brawn.

2)Pierre-Edouard Bellemare....a pleasant surprise, plays bigger than his smaller type body. A great skater and even at 30+, has some untapped offense at the NHL level. I'm hoping this guy gets a 2 year deal, although his agent might drop the price a bit to secure a 3rd year. I'd prefer to stick to 2....because skating is a big part of what Pierre offers, if that slips and he loses a half a step, his value drops significantly. Seems like the type to train hard and make the most of his NHL arrival....for that reason alone, I'd be willing to extend the 3rd in order to retain him. The Flyers *must* become faster, and Pierre is part of that faster type charge.

3)Ray Emery...thanks for the years of service...wish you well in your future endeavors. Of course, this means signing a NHL back up...cause I don't think Stolarz is close to being ready.....another cap expenditure the Flyers can't really afford, but if want to make the playoffs in the NHL...you MUST have a capable back up.....so this is a totally necessity.

4)Michael Del Zotto....another pleasant surprise. Of course, the smart move his retaining his services....but it all depends on what his agent deems adequate compensation. He may indeed price himself right out of the Flyers range. We are already close to the cap.....so if Del Zotto asks for 4-5 mill, he is probably a goner. We have no real replacement waiting in the wings....but in 2016-17 guys like Hagg, Ghost, they can mimic whatever skill set that Del Zotto might have had.....so short term suffering for long term gain...UNLESS he signs for a reasonable rate...somewhere around 3.5 might be the max the Flyers can offer.

5)Nick Schultz.....he may parlay his very respectable play here to get a nice contract outside of Philly. If he talks anything above a mill....the Flyers should be out quick...and I'd have to agree...Manning would be a suitable replacement and do it at half the price.....in other words, he's 90% gone.

Zack Sortini....see Rosehill post, no need for him....BUT...if they want to leave him on the Phantoms to sell tickets and keep the hometown fans entertained...I get that. As long as he would be the only goon eating up a roster spot, I'm ok with him....but there is a young man on the way who skates better, probably is his equal in fighting and can add the offense that Zack cannot over....speaking of course about Goulbourne....who may make Zack's skills redundant...but knowing the lame Flyers who could never cut ties to the past, they will retain both, heck proably Gouls, Sortini and Rosehill could be retained...what a wasted. Would much perfer to have only Gouls and let guys that actually have a chance to pitch in at the NHL level.....stop giving spots to guys who have no hope of helping the parent Flyers...that is supposed to be what the Phantoms are all about, huh....but sometimes you have to wonder.

2015-16 Flyer RFA's

1)Ryan White...a MUST keep, skates well (as you can tell...kind of a prerequisite for me) is great on draws, wonderful defensive game and has a bit of offensive flair as well. Provides push back, backbone....what ever you want to call it....but he makes the Flyers tougher to play against, another prerequisite for me. He desevres a nicer deal....just hope he does not go crazy with his financial demands....would be SUCH a shame to see him price himself out of town....like I said from the moment I saw we got him...Ryan was born to be a Flyer!

2)Jason Akeson...this is a bit of a tough call....not for right now, but for what the future holds. First lets look at his AHL production...

2012-13 Phantoms...62 GP-20G-33A-53 pts

2013-14 Phantoms...70 GP-24G-40A-64 pts

2014-15 Phantoms...57 GP-23G-40A-53 pts

Some nice point totals, almost a ppg at the AHL level. A legit scorer at the AHL level, but it has not transferred to the NHL at this point. He turns 25 this year, which is ok, he's doing some great work in the minors. My feeling is and always has been....you HAVE to own a successful AHL team, it's VERY important to have a winning program down there, so the prospects are not learning how to lose and can hone their skills in a positive, winning atmosphere. For that reason alone, Jason should be retained on a 2 way deal. He's a decent emergency call up, and gives the Phantoms a legit top pp.

2016-17 UFA's

A lot of the decisions rendered above in the coming season will be made with the years 2016-17 in mind. Room must be made to accommodate this powerful group and a huge part of the core.

1)Jacob Voracek...Just entered superstar status, better to get this done sooner rather than later. Another spectacular year, of even an improvemnt on it will literally cost the Flyers millions....and the potential to lose more ramps up with each day he goes unsigned. I don't think the Flyers can offer a contract until he officially enters the last year of his deal...I'm not sure on this , but I think the start to the leagues new year is July 1st?? Not sure on that...but....how much do you offer Jacob.....you run the risk of alienating him if you come in to low....but a *reasonable* low first offer must be made.....cause you know his agent is coming in with a staggering number. Let's hope a compromise can be made and he becomes a Flyer for life.

I'm thinking a 5 year deal for 6.5-7.0 mill is right in and around the neighborhood he should be in. You can make a great case for him only having one single break out season...but really, he's in a STRONG negotiating stance......in short, the Flyers will have to pay out a LARGE sum to keep him in the fold....how much is what we will learn in the near future.

2)Michael Raffl...he had an ok year, I think there is some unforeseen offense still locked away. He looked to be getting more comfortable as the season wore on. I'm ok with re-signing him, but nothing over a mill....or he can walk.

2016-17 RFA's

1)Sean Couturier...is this the year he fulfills his potential as an offensive catalyst? His strong play for Canada at the World Championships is a very positive sign moving forward. He needs more top 6 minutes, better linemates.....this is the year we have to see an uptick. The Flyers will wait as long as possible before pulling the trigger...both Sean and #2 Brayden are going to be playing for raises this year....Flyers should get outstanding play out of them both with so much at steak.

2)Brayden Schenn.....seemed to be breaking out of an extended slump last year....can be pretty streaky at times. I believe his #1 weapon going forward will be developing his 1 timer ...BUT he must first learn how to weasel himself into the proper time and space to get the shot off. Don't see him driving to the net to often, so the one timer may just turn into his bread and butter. Need more consistancy on the forecheck....more life out his legs...I suspect he needs to train harder.

It's a lot easier to be retained as a Flyer RW rather than a LW....

At RW, the Flyers have Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Michael Parks, Cole Bardeau, Petr Straka, Brandon Alderson, Derek Mathers.....those are the guys that Akeson needs to beat out in order to make a run at a permanent home in Philly....Bardeau and or Aube-Kubel will eventually dislodge him and his NHL spot I'm thinking...

At LW...the Flyers have a much more talented group of young stars....Tyler Leier and his strong 2 way play lead the charge...but Oscar Lindblom, who has skating, size and skill on his side....Fazleev had a teriffic year for the WHL Calgary Hitmen....Martel, the QHL speedster with great speed and upside....Johnston...the Phantoms top 6 guy..and Derek Mathers...the prerequisite goon of the group.....

Yeah, much easier for a kid to leapfrog guys at RW rather than LW.....Flyers finally getting some depth at the wing positions...and I suspect the upcoming draft will give us some more of that much needed position upgrades.

Forgot about the prospects...

RFA's....prospects 2015-16

1)Andrew Johnson....2)Matthew Konan (D) 3)Oliver Lauridsen....the first two have not really done much to make themselves stick out...but of the first 2...Johnson is plays a much more dynamic game, although it's not very fair to compare a forward to a dman...Konan is as good as gone in my books. OL...we have invested to much to bow out now....see this through...and for GODS sake...give him some NHL time to prove his worth as a call up!!

UFA's....prospects 2015-15

1)Rob Zepp, goalie....nice while it lasted, but kids with upside should take his spot...unless he is viewed upon as somebody who can teach Stolarz more and help him develop....that might be his only saving grace.

2)Blair Jones....bye bye

3)Chris Vandevelde....has proven his worth as an emergency call up....plays the game with vigor and although not a great skater, is fast enough to provide an effective forecheck.

4)Andrew Gordon....dont' know much about him, but would be shocked to see him retained.

Pierre-Edouard Bellemare

Was already extended 2 years. I too hope the goon experiment is over with Rosehill and Stortini.

Akeson may be resigned. Maybe he next coach can get something out of him.

He may want to move on.

@flyercanuck  The good part, MDZ's restricted status gives the Flyers much better wiggling room in a potential re-signing. I'm assuming they will low ball an offer, and if somebody steals him from us, there is draft pick compensation....no?  This alone would make lowballing him important....although I believe the money given dictates the draft pick...so it would not be an early one.....plus, we don't see RFA offers for stars, so expecting them in connection with a middle type player is more than a tad crazy.

Nick Schultz was also extended. Two years at something or other. Forget the details.

WHHHHAAAAA....WTF..just looked it up...the Flyers went 2 yrs at 2.25 mill a YEAR....HAVE THEY GONE MAD???   This is way to much money for Schultz, who could just as easily turn into a crap sandwich this coming year. In all fairness, the plus 6....when not even having a steady d partner....that is very respectable....however, I would have gone with Brandon Manning who would have done basically the same job for a quarter of the money...vet minimum. These are the subtle little spots that the Flyers must make cap ground...with the signing of star Jacob Voracek staring them right in the eyes.

EDIT>..one more thing...he was extended on Feb 15th....the Flyers got in a bidding war with themselves....again?!?!  No damn reason at all to not wait till the end of the year....that is straight up sad.

not to be a jerk, but there's a lot wrong with your free agent list...

-Bellemare was already extended

-Del Zotto is a RFA

-Schultz was already extended

-White is a UFA

-Akeson is a group VI UFA

@RJ8812  So I've heard.....blame the site....not the messenger....I figured ya know...a legit site has legit info....who knew?

BUT...not knowing about the extensions...that part is on me...been busy with work lately.

Well, that new site gets an F for accuracy!

They fixed everything:)

keep in mind it was only up for a day when I linked it here lol.

Currently, I am chatting with them to see if they want to affiliate with this site :)

Armchair GM options are all fixed too :P

@RJ8812  So I've heard.....blame the site....not the messenger....I figured ya know...a legit site has legit info....who knew?

BUT...not knowing about the extensions...that part is on me...been busy with work lately.

C'mon jammer... I rely on you for a lot of info   ;)

They fixed everything:)

keep in mind it was only up for a day when I linked it here lol.

Currently, I am chatting with them to see if they want to affiliate with this site :)

Armchair GM options are all fixed too :P

Great idea! HF will be proud.

Archived