"Canada's Team"

hf101

I think there's a lot of Canadians who are sick and tired of anything Leafs...me included. No offence intended to our Leaf fans on the board. I've just never seen such a horrible franchise get so much attention.

Unless I'm badly mistaken, the Habs sell more merchandise in Canada than the Leafs do. The Leafs even have the advantage of having the largest metro area, nearly 50% larger, iirc, than Montreal, which is second (5.6 million to 3.8 million people, I think). One of our Canadian members may correct me on this too, but in other parts of the country, things Toronto are not exactly highly popular. Again, I'm open to correction on this if I'm wrong, but it has always seemed to me that geography plays a very large role in determining which franchise(s) is most popular in any given region of Canada. I've never really thought that there was a single dominant team.

I'd be very interested in what some of my northern neighbors have to say about all of that, whether I'm right or wrong.

The Leafs ARE Canada's team.  WOOT!!  LOL.  ;)

I know there are a lot of non-Leaf fans that are sick of the Leafs being crammed down their throat all the time by the media, but it's what their fans want, and those fans are absolutely everywhere.  

There's 35 million people in Canada.  13.6 million of them are in Ontario, and MANY people from Ontario move to other parts of the country.  It's just numbers.  

Even the haters(and there's a ton of them, too.....) LOVE to talk about them, non-stop.

:)

TeamCanada_1024x768.jpg

Babcock stated that the Toronto Maple Leafs are "Canada's Team" 

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Well, my thoughts are Mike Babcock is a smart man.....however, he seems to have partaken perhaps a bit TOO much of the blue n white kool aid.

I am well aware of the Leafs' "aura" (which is why they get mercilessly ridiculed for being so horrible)...but saying the Leafs (or any other team really) is Canada's team is about as stupid as people in the NFL saying Dallas is America's team.

See what blue n white kool aid does to a smart man?

I can only imagine if some halfwits drank some blue n white kool aid...............oh wait.......... :ph34r:

Thoughts?

Well, my thoughts are Mike Babcock is a smart man.....however, he seems to have partaken perhaps a bit TOO much of the blue n white kool aid.

I am well aware of the Leafs' "aura" (which is why they get mercilessly ridiculed for being so horrible)...but saying the Leafs (or any other team really) is Canada's team is about as stupid as people in the NFL saying Dallas is America's team.

See what blue n white kool aid does to a smart man?

I can only imagine if some halfwits drank some blue n white kool aid...............oh wait.......... :ph34r:

Kind of a dangerous thing for a Bolts fan to say. Lol

Nothing good can come from statements like this and if Babcock did say it (there's no link to a reference) he's not as savvy as I thought he was. Or he's been away from Canada for too long.

Nothing good can come from statements like this and if Babcock did say it (there's no link to a reference) he's not as savvy as I thought he was. Or he's been away from Canada for too long.

I watched the press conference. He said it.

Kind of a dangerous thing for a Bolts fan to say. Lol

Not really, since I don't care for the TB current color scheme.

My hope is that owner Jeff Vinik reconsiders at some point and has the team go back to the TRUE Lightning colors of black, blue n silver.

Frankly, despite what is obvious to the eyes, I don't consider the Bolts to be "blue n white"

Toronto is "Canada's Team" because they wear Canada's symbol on the front of their sweaters while playing Canada's favourite sport. Doesn't make other teams in other Canadian cities less Canadian.

They are embarassing the country at the moment.

Really, though, the only team that is actually Canada's Team is Team Canada.

It's a pretty harmless statement to make in a Toronto Maple Leaf press conference. 

Some other fans in Canada will scoff at him, but it's really not a big deal. Seems like the sort of thing that gets overblown.

Some other fans in Canada will scoff at him, but it's really not a big deal. Seems like the sort of thing that gets overblown.

It pisses Canadians who don't live in the GTA off. You know, the vast majority of Canadians.

I'll weigh in. I think it was stupid of Babcock to say....but true in a sense...the majority of hockey fans in Canada are Leaf fans.  When a Toronto fan picks up with his family and moves to Alberta...there is two adults...and probably any children who will be cheering for the Leafs. You hear it wherever the Leafs play in Canada away from the ACC....the fans are numerous on the road and very loud.

Even down here, at *the* most Southern tip of Canada, it's mostly Leaf fans....and that says a lot, cause I'm literally 2 miles from the Joe Louis. Yeah, fair share of Wings fan on this side of the border, but probably somewhere around 60% Leaf fans and 30% Wings....the rest, Habs, maybe Bruins....and then to small to count.

I'll weigh in. I think it was stupid of Babcock to say....but true in a sense...the majority of hockey fans in Canada are Leaf fans.  When a Toronto fan picks up with his family and moves to Alberta...there is two adults...and probably any children who will be cheering for the Leafs. You hear it wherever the Leafs play in Canada away from the ACC....the fans are numerous on the road and very loud.

Even down here, at *the* most Southern tip of Canada, it's mostly Leaf fans....and that says a lot, cause I'm literally 2 miles from the Joe Louis. Yeah, fair share of Wings fan on this side of the border, but probably somewhere around 60% Leaf fans and 30% Wings....the rest, Habs, maybe Bruins....and then to small to count

I seriously don't get it. What, you're a Leafs fan because you're grandfather was one? You  drive a Ford because you're grandfather drove one? I guess that's "tradition," but good lord people, it's 2015, isn't it time to grow up? Ok, that's gonna get me in trouble isn't it?

I'm sorry. I went to the Bob Clarke School of Public Speaking and did a minor in How to Make Friends

There are more hockey fans in Canada who cheer for the Leafs than any other, I suppose. Population and geography play into it a lot. For fans who pre-date expansion, Anglophones generally cheered for the Leafs and Francophones usually cheered for Montreal. There was some crossover, of course, but it usually holds true. My father-in-law grew up in Saskatchewan and identifies as a Leafs fan, and it's completely because that's what was on TV every Saturday night. I don't know... I guess I don't even have a point to make. As flyercanuck said, I'm kinda tired of having that hockey team shoved down out throats. In the days of one game on HNIC, if you weren't a Leafs fan, you pretty much had to hope your team was playing Toronto if you wanted to see them on that show. Other than that, you got about half a season's worth of games on local TV through the year. I get why it happened (market size), but it didn't suck any less to watch.

Are they Canada's team? If Toronto were in the Finals this year, Leafs fans in Vancouver or Edmonton or Regina or Winnipeg or Moncton or anywhere else outside of the GTA wouldn't hit the streets to party for a win or riot over a loss.

@Podein25  Pods, I get this emotional for you, so I will spare any sarcasm. 

I seriously don't get it. What, you're a Leafs fan because you're grandfather was one? You drive a Ford because you're grandfather drove one? I guess that's "tradition," but good lord people, it's 2015, isn't it time to grow up? Ok, that's gonna get me in trouble isn't it?

Pods, what is the one thing that all hockey fans have in common in Canada? Answer.....their undying loyalty to "their" team. So, when a father has a son, one of *the* most important things to pass on to him is something that he feels strongest about.....loaylaty to his team. Fathers consider their sons (and yes daughters) extenstions of themselves. First and foremost, yes, you want a good solid person to grow up there.....but a real close second...is having your kids "not cheering for the enemy"....I have personally seen fathers cry when finding out that their offspring had "gone to another team" through the ties he had with buddies etc .

Besides morals and values, which is usually first without even considering them....the biggest part of a parents personality is "their" team....they so badly want to pass that on....the THOUSANDS of hours devoted to watching them....THE HOPE that THOUSANDS more can be spent with their young child/teenager/young adult/adult child cheering on a common force....is that really hard to understand?

In short, it's one of the unmistakeable "ties that bind".....if your kid becomes a fan of your team....there is countless telephone conversations....countless playoff games...that you will both have in common. So, when you move to a different part of the country, when all his buddies will be fans of the Flames or Oilers in ALB for instance.....the goal to keep the "Ontario in him or her" becomes all consuming....rooms are shrines of the desired team from the moment of birth.....pictures are taken...and distributed to everyone they know with a cute jumper of the desired team front and center...

I know some will scoff at this....but it's a real thing...it really is. lol.

There are more hockey fans in Canada who cheer for the Leafs than any other, I suppose. Population and geography play into it a lot. For fans who pre-date expansion, Anglophones generally cheered for the Leafs and Francophones usually cheered for Montreal. There was some crossover, of course, but it usually holds true. My father-in-law grew up in Saskatchewan and identifies as a Leafs fan, and it's completely because that's what was on TV every Saturday night. I don't know... I guess I don't even have a point to make. As flyercanuck said, I'm kinda tired of having that hockey team shoved down out throats. In the days of one game on HNIC, if you weren't a Leafs fan, you pretty much had to hope your team was playing Toronto if you wanted to see them on that show. Other than that, you got about half a season's worth of games on local TV through the year. I get why it happened (market size), but it didn't suck any less to watch.

Are they Canada's team? If Toronto were in the Finals this year, Leafs fans in Vancouver or Edmonton or Regina or Winnipeg or Moncton or anywhere else outside of the GTA wouldn't hit the streets to party for a win or riot over a loss.

Well, I doubt that they would riot, but in ANY Canadian city, you would see a large contingent of Leaf fans celebrating a Stanley Cup victory. Any main street, would be full of Leaf losers, frothing at the mouth....lol. Size of the crowd would depend on which city.

Well, I doubt that they would riot, but in ANY Canadian city, you would see a large contingent of Leaf fans celebrating a Stanley Cup victory. Any main street, would be full of Leaf losers, frothing at the mouth....lol. Size of the crowd would depend on which city.

It's tough to put into words, jammer...

I've lived in southern Ontario.

I've lived in Alberta.

I had move from Alberta back to southern Ontario and back to Alberta again.

I've lived in Saskatchewan

I now live in BC.

Honestly, not THAT many people give THAT much of a rat's ass about the Leafs outside of the Toronto market. They have a large fanbase; of that there is no doubt, and they have fans outside of Ontario. But, tune into local sports radio, and what do you hear about the Leafs? Not very much, really. The same thing goes for TV and print. If there were THAT many fans, they would have media for them to take in...

I know that it can be tough, being in the southern Ontario market, and being completely saturated by their coverage, to breathe a bit of non-Leafs, but it IS different outside of the area. I know, because I've experienced lots of both. Hell, just listen to sports radio here in Victoria: there's more people that care about cycling, kayaking and rowing than people that care about the Maple Leafs, and that is not an exaggeration. Significant time is devoted to Senior A lacrosse, but the only time you hear about Toronto is in a situation like this with Babcock, and it's only mentioned in passing.

@JR Ewing  Well, I do have a bit of background to draw upon...I lived in Calgary when I was 7 and 8...think it was grade 2....and 3 of my classmates were Leaf fans.....but that was before the Flames had moved there, so have to put that in proper persepective....I clearly remember them saying...."my Dad says" ....when talking about hockey...lol.

If the rest of Canada does not give a rats ass about the Leafs...then whey do you hear "go Leafs go in every single Canadian barn they play in?

@JR Ewing  Well, I do have a bit of background to draw upon...I lived in Calgary when I was 7 and 8...think it was grade 2....and 3 of my classmates were Leaf fans.....but that was before the Flames had moved there, so have to put that in proper persepective....I clearly remember them saying...."my Dad says" ....when talking about hockey...lol.

If the rest of Canada does not give a rats ass about the Leafs...then whey do you hear "go Leafs go in every single Canadian barn they play in?

I'm not saying that people don't care at all: I'm saying that this "Canada's Team" business is greatly overblown.

I'm not saying that people don't care at all: I'm saying that this "Canada's Team" business is greatly overblown.

I think it is true to this extent...if you took a poll of all Canadians, nationwide, I believe the Leafs would get the most votes....and not just because Ontario has the most population....because they have pockets of followers everywhere. Not sure if getting the most votes would constitute being Canadas team per say....but really, what other criteria could you use?

I think it is true to this extent...if you took a poll of all Canadians, nationwide, I believe the Leafs would get the most votes....and not just because Ontario has the most population....because they have pockets of followers everywhere. Not sure if getting the most votes would constitute being Canadas team per say....but really, what other criteria could you use?

I think that's about best criteria you could use. Merchandise sales would be about the only other one I can think of. That said, unless there's just a very noticeable gap, is simply finishing first enough? To me, it's kind of like when the Dallas Cowboys used to be called "America's Team." They almost certainly had the most widespread fan base, but it's not exactly like they dominated anything outside the Dallas-Fort Worth area. I knew some Cowboys fans, but there weren't really that many that I came in contact with. The Saints are the local team here, and with Brett Favre being a Packer, those two teams were far and away dominant. Would the Cowboys have gotten the most votes at that time? Probably. Would it have been overwhelming? I highly doubt it. I never really bought the "America's Team" stuff.

@JR Ewing Having lived in so many parts of the country, would you deem my impression that geography tends to be the biggest factor to be true or false? As I said originally, I only have the view of someone looking in from the outside, but I've always strongly had that impression.

This may sound silly, but as someone who has had a lifelong fascination with Canada, I find questions like these very interesting.

@ScottM  I think there is one single factor intertwining with the question at hand. That would be championships. Before the triplets on the Boys...there was Tom Landry and Roger Staubach....the triplets only added to the prestige. The important thing to factor in on here is Stanley Cups....and the indelible imprint they leave on the psyche of fans. The Leafs have 13 championships....second only to the Habs....but the Habs, for the most part, are limited to Quebec and French speaking fans....the Leaf fans have no such limitations. Sure, the Leaf wins were all before 67...but all the Leaf winning caused the franchise to be transferred down the family line, from father to son etc, etc. There are MANY Ontario natives living toady who will swear that Dave Keon was one of the best players ever....another lasting exclamation point from the 67 team.

The other factor is this.....the Leafs are classic underdogs due to all the losing. Not just losing, but generations of losing....monumentally bad teams....meaning if you jumped ship, you were a weasel and not a real fan....

Archived