Sabres Trade 21st pick for Lehner and (21st Pick)

pilldoc

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – The Ottawa Senators had a tough decision on their hands in goal.

They had Andrew Hammond, last season’s second-half sensation, on a new three-year deal. They had Craig Anderson, the 34-year-old veteran that can be downright dominant for stretches. And they had 23-year-old Robin Lehner, one-time goalie of the future who had suddenly become a palpable trading chip for the team.

GM Bryan Murray wanted two high picks for Lehner’s services. He ended up getting one: The 21st pick in Friday night’s NHL Draft from the Buffalo Sabres, as Lehner and center David Legwand were sent across the border to his nephew Tim Murray’s team.

The Ottawa Sun reported that the Sabres were the frontrunner for Lehner’s services because Tim Murray was the assistant general manager in Ottawa when the team drafted him.

Lehner was 9-12-3 in 25 games last season before an injury cut his campaign short. He had a .905 save percentage and a 3.02 GAA. He's signed through 2016-17 with a $2.225 million cap hit and is an RFA after that.

He had a chance to stake a claim for the Ottawa starting gig back in 2014 when Anderson was injured, but couldn’t quite put together his unquestionable skill with a steady confidence. The Senators instead signed both Lehner and Anderson to new contracts. Then Hammond arrived on the scene last season and, well, no one was throwing hamburgers on the ice for Lehner.

What does this signal for the Sabres? Well, that Murray views Lehner as a potential goalie of the future for a team that’s deep into a rebuild. And that using that pick at No. 21 on a 23-year-old with NHL experience was better than using it on Ilya Samsonov, the top-rated goalie in the draft who will spend the next two seasons in the KHL.

A bit of overpayment for Buffalo? Perhaps, but that’s only going be determined by how well Lehner ends up playing in his new environs.

@Podein25  This is a very iffy deal for the Sabres. There was certainly times last year when Lehner did not look the the future in net for the Sens. To be fair, they suffered a lot of defensive injuries at times last year, which can effect a goalie's stats and win totals....but his mechanics looked off, he has some flaws in his game, they can be worked on, but his rebound control was not up to snuff and his positioning was off. This might be the wrong draft to take a chance like this....why not just keep the pick and have their pick of any goalie in this draft? I'm pretty sure no goalies will be off the board at #21....on the surface at least, this looks like a mistake. There is a real good chance their 2nd round pick could have netted a better goalie than Robin....just my take.

@jammer2

Totally agree, and with the talent in the draft this year, that 21st pick is still a VERY VERY GOOD pick.  As has been mentioned several times in the shoutbox.  If you are gonna give up #21, then go after Talbot who is >>>>>>> then Lehner.  Just does not make any sense.

@pilldoc  The Sabres would have literally had their pick of any goalie in this draft, and they would have the added bonus of not having to correct the bad habits that Robin has picked up over the years. If they had their own young goalie, they could mold him whichever way they wanted. By making this trade, the Sabres are saying that Lehner is better than any goalie in this draft, and I believe, history will prove them wrong. There is no rush for the Sabres to acquire the goalie of the future right now, they will not be making the playoffs anytime soon, despite being loaded with young talented prospects. They passed up signifiacnt upside to make sure they had a decent goalie *this* year....and a UFA offer on a number of available goalies could have accomplished the same thing...AND allow them to draft their future stud in net. I don't like this move at all.....the more I think about it, the more it seems like a huge mistake.

I know Halak wasn't going to sign there, but between Enroth, Neuvirth and Hackett they have had a bunch of "promising young goalies" that they've simply given up on.

I don't know that Lehner is going to be any different.

some reactions from Sabre fans.....you can tell they are really not fond of this deal....   Enjoy. :)

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23459-trade-lehner-and-legwand-to-buffalo/

Posted Today, 08:53 AM

Barf.

Absolutely hate this trade. Trash.

Posted Today, 08:54 AM

There goes the happy warm feeling I had this morning

Posted Today, 08:59 AM

The Sabres shouldn't have to give up anything. Lehner should be the price paid for the Sabre to take Legwand.

Lehner makes 2.225 for the next 2 years and Legrand makes 3.0 for this year.

Kinda hope this isn't true.

Here is a classic! :) LOL

Posted Today, 09:03 AM

Why can't we have good things as a Buffalo sports fan?  cry.gif

Buzz kill.

I expected GMTM to do better then that. A goalie who was thrown to the curb by his club traded for a 1st round pick AND we take on $3mil price tag of Legwand? No prospects or picks coming our way? Seems very bizarre.

Posted Today, 09:05 AM

Ottawa fans have to be ecstatic right now.  I mean champagne cork popping happy.  thumbdown.gif

Posted Today, 09:26 AM

Legend we don't need and we could have signed a goalie in free agency. I'm not liking this deal. If it was the late second then fine but 21? So I guess we won't be moving up now. ###### Brutal

Posted Today, 09:29 AM

ThirtyEight, on 26 Jun 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:snapback.png

Legwand plays a similar role, just much worse. Why else would we have traded for a defensive third liner?

How likely is it we draft Eichel at 2? Or will Murray decide to ###### that up as well

The hyperbole has officially jumped the shark.

Posted Today, 09:46 AM

LGR4GM, on 26 Jun 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:snapback.png

Sabres fan give this trade a chance. Lehner still has loads of upside. Your GM knows him well. You've got lots of picks. Don't judge yet

This crap pisses me off, and what I didn't like about the Kings and Jets trades.  Just because you have a lot of picks, you don't have to hand them out like candy.

I know Halak wasn't going to sign there, but between Enroth, Neuvirth and Hackett they have had a bunch of "promising young goalies" that they've simply given up on.

I could have sworn that Hackett was going to succeed. I don't think he ever got a legit shot, but his stinky AHL stats are his own fault, cause I believe the Sabres AHL team (is it still Rochester?) was respectable.

Years ago, I saw Hackett play a game against my Spitfires during our Memorial Cup years. It was one of the most amazing games I've ever seen a goalie play, funny thing is, he allowed 7 goals....BUT he stopped 81 shots in 3 periods....the onslaught the Spits threw at him that night was spectacualr....one of the oddest games I've ever seen from a goalie perspective, cause he made well over 20 wicked saves...never ever gave up, despite allowing the 7 goals.

If I was a Sabres fan, my faith in Murray would be shaken based on this trade. Very, very iffy. It showed no patience and poor asset management. I agree with the one dude, just cause you have a lot of picks, you don't give them away like candy. Time will tell, but Lehner has shown me nothing to have me conclude he's a legit #1 franchise goalie. This is a gonna be a 5 year saga which will end with Lehner being traded or cut loose.

While this is certainly true, you also have to look at the fact that the Sabres, for the last few seasons have been absolutely HORRENDOUS defensively, and they couldn't even offset that deficiency by being at least a decent offensive team because they struggled mightily in that department as well.

To ask ANY goaltender to put up a shut out every night, with no defensive help, and no goals to work with.....well, let's just say even goalies like Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Jonathan Quick, or Carey Price would be asking to be traded away from that crap fest situation.

That said, unless the Sabres improve in either their defense or offense (preferably both, obviously), then Robin Lehner may not fare any better than his predecessor "future goalies" did.

Lehner may very well turn out to be a so-so goalie for the duration of his career, but frankly, given what he may have to work with in Buffalo, I am not sure if that situation is fair to judge him.

Now, you presumably have a Jack Eichel to join the likes of Sam Reinhart, Tyler Ennis, Evander Kane, and Cody Hodgeson on offense. That SHOULD generate some offense so Lehner doesn't have to feel like he has to stop all 45-50 SOG just to win 1-0.

But we will see.

Ottawa did well to get a 1st round pick for Lehner....and still have Anderson and Hammond.

The only way this could go sideways for the Sens is if Anderson gets injured again (he has been prone to that lately), and Hammond simply cannot come close to doing what he did last season.

If you are Buffalo, getting Lehner isn't really a terrible thing, but you best NOT sit and figure he will be the savior of the defense, and get that goalie some help on the blue line......otherwise, it really may not matter how many goals Eichel and company can score (see: Dallas Stars).

some reactions from Sabre fans.....you can tell they are really not fond of this deal....   Enjoy. :)

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23459-trade-lehner-and-legwand-to-buffalo/

Barf.

Absolutely hate this trade. Trash.

Posted Today, 08:54 AM

There goes the happy warm feeling I had this morning

Posted Today, 08:59 AM

The Sabres shouldn't have to give up anything. Lehner should be the price paid for the Sabre to take Legwand.

Lehner makes 2.225 for the next 2 years and Legrand makes 3.0 for this year.

Kinda hope this isn't true.

Here is a classic! :) LOL

Posted Today, 09:03 AM

Why can't we have good things as a Buffalo sports fan?  cry.gif

Buzz kill.

I expected GMTM to do better then that. A goalie who was thrown to the curb by his club traded for a 1st round pick AND we take on $3mil price tag of Legwand? No prospects or picks coming our way? Seems very bizarre.

Posted Today, 09:05 AM

Ottawa fans have to be ecstatic right now.  I mean champagne cork popping happy.  thumbdown.gif

Posted Today, 09:26 AM

Legend we don't need and we could have signed a goalie in free agency. I'm not liking this deal. If it was the late second then fine but 21? So I guess we won't be moving up now. ###### Brutal

Posted Today, 09:29 AM

ThirtyEight, on 26 Jun 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:snapback.png

The hyperbole has officially jumped the shark.

Posted Today, 09:46 AM

LGR4GM, on 26 Jun 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:snapback.png

This crap pisses me off, and what I didn't like about the Kings and Jets trades.  Just because you have a lot of picks, you don't have to hand them out like candy.

LOL!!!  I love it!!!  For all the crap I took when I was at UB grad school for being a Flyers fan I LOVE IT!!!!

After the Rags and Pens Buffalo will always have a "special" place in my heart when it comes to dislike!

Wow, really? Now they're down to just the #2 pick. What happens to Buffalo fans if Murray goes completely off the reservation there?

They (and specifically Rick) would lose their even lov'in marbles!!

They (and specifically Rick) would lose their even lov'in marbles!!

LOL...and this is pure fantasy land here......Sabres nab Hanifin or Strome and the Flyers move up to #3 and nab Eichel.....LOL.....I don't want to be around to pick up the pieces when HJ goes ballistic. LOL......

LOL...and this is pure fantasy land here......Sabres nab Hanifin or Strome and the Flyers move up to #3 and nab Eichel.....LOL.....I don't want to be around to pick up the pieces when HJ goes ballistic. LOL......

HA....the Buffalo city council would allow a one time tar and feathering party for Tim Murray, maybe even include his immediate family!!

Great move for the Senators, Lehner has not developed and is well on his way from prospect to bust. To have acquired a first for this slug was an absolute steal.

That should really make the Rangers happy, if Lehner is worth the 21st then Talbot should net them somewhere in the 12-15 range......

Lehner has not developed and is well on his way from prospect to bust. To have acquired a first for this slug was an absolute steal.

If you add this to the Kane deal, where he gave up Myers, two great prospects and a 1st (25th overall), that's Homer-level GMing right there.

That should really make the Rangers happy, if Lehner is worth the 21st then Talbot should net them somewhere in the 12-15 range......

You would think it would fall something like that, but I don't necessarily think the Sabres set the bar here, the rest of the league may just qualify this trade as a train wreck and deem it not worthy of it setting up the pecking order. I believe Talbot is a legit starting goalie, but there could be a bit of fear that the Rangers quality system and d-men propped his numbers up a bit. In this draft, I would think Talbot should be worth 15-20...which is not far off from your estimate. There seems to be a decent drop off after the 8-13ish range. If the Rangers got Meier or Merkley for Talbot it would infuriated me, he's not worth quite that much.

@jammer2

I read the headline only when I posted. THEN I found out that the Senators also managed to get the Sabres to take on the contract of the ghost of David Legwand. It is worse than I thought.

To explain the trade, I can only come up with two possible reasons for Tim Murray to have done this deal with Bryan Murray:

Bryan is really Tim's dad and threatened to ground him if he didn't take the trade

OR

They are secretly married and to celebrate the landmark decision by the Supreme Court today Tim gave Bryan the pick as a wedding gift.

No other reason for this deal from a Buffalo standpoint makes any sense.

@yave1964  Ha ha....it *is* super odd. In my estimation, there is at least 3 or 4 goalies in today's draft who have better upside than Lehner. Some of those guys will be available in the second round for God's sake...I'm starting to think Murray is not the man to lead this rebuild. He does not even think quick on his feet, showing complete disdain for landing the second pick instead of the 1st and McDavid, but he did not even think about how those statements would affect Eichel. A total rookie with no experience would have handled that better. Any decent human being would have been more thoughtful and concerned with Eichel's feelings. This guy looks more and more like a giant TURD with each passing day.

Archived