Winners & Losers of the 2015 Draft

AlaskaFlyerFan

WINNERS:

Obviously, I'm biased but I think the Flyers had an excellent draft.  I don't know if any other team did better in addressing their needs.  

Buffalo has definitely gotten stronger through a combination of trades and the draft. These trades/draft picks may only push them up to mediocrity but it is a start. 

Edmonton is in the same boat as Buffalo.

LOSERS:

IMHO, Boston is the biggest loser.  They had some real head scratching moves.  They went from needing to dump some salary straight to rebuilding mode for no apparent reason.

The Penguins only had 4 picks and I'm not impressed with who they took.  Are they really looking that hard at Kessel or Oshie?  

Were the Kings & Wings even there?  I didn't hear or see anything on them.

Time will tell for sure but who do you think are the winners & losers?

@AlaskaFlyerFan

Of coure I'm biased...Flyers did well and of course Edmonton get the grand prize of McDavid and if Talbot works out they get an A there too.

I think Boston is screwed.....for all the picks they garnered in the 1st round, they seem to have reached/wasted 2 out of 3 of them.  As I mentioned eariler in another thread, how do you not draft Barzal or Connor. 

With that being said, the Isles made a good trade twice to get picks in the 1st Round and nab Barzal with one of them.

Did not hear alot about the Blues...they only had 1 pick in the first 4 rounds. (#56).

Calgary gets one of the biggest prizes in Dougie Hamilton.

Pens only had 4 picks.

Even though Buffalo got Eichel, I think they over paid for Lehner and traded many of their picks away.  They could have gotten alot more.

Just my 2 cents for now.

I have no idea what the hell the Bruins are doing.  Sweeney may have a case of thinking he's smarter than he is and outsmarting himself.   That team is the easy loser, for me.

I don't personally like the day that the Sabres had.   Eichel was obvious.  Even the Sabres weren't capable of screwing that up.   But I didn't like the trade with Ottawa at all.   I think Lehner is a horrible bust.  Even if you think he's going to be good, you don't risk your #21 on that kind of gamble.   There were better uses of that asset.  

I don't mind the O'Reilly/McGinn acquisitions.    That makes them immediately legitimate up front.   I don't think they're a playoff team but they at least have a team you have to pay attention to when playing them.

Dallas made a very curious first round pick.  Their pick, teamed with the Bruins idiocy, really helped the value of picks 18-25.

And I didn't like Minny's #20 pick.   Ottawa did okay, but I'm wondering about their picks, as well.  I think they might have been able to do better.

Winners:

I thought Columbus had a very good first round.  Bittner will be very good and goes a lot higher in other draft years.  And Werenski is going to be a very--very--good dman.  I personally take Provorov ahead of him every time, but he's legit. 

The Flyers, objectively, have to be on this list.   They got arguably the best defenseman in the draft at #7.   One could argue Hanifin and have a good point, but I do like Provorov better.    And the trade for #24 to get a guy who arguably should have gone top 15 is the steal of the first round (or could be a wash if Konecny ultimately succumbs to injuries).    I don't think this one is biased or O&B glasses.   Besides, you guys know I'm more likely to be critical than exuberant.  I'm happy as a pig in slop.

Outside of that, a bunch of teams did really well for themselves but don't really stand out from others.    

I don't know how the rest of the Leafs draft went but I'm not too impressed with their first round. They got an elite talent in Marner but I think D was a bigger need and I think it was a mistake to pass on Hanifin. And then trading down and eventually out of the first round... This was not the year to do that. Even at 29 they could have gotten a good player.

@JackStraw

Yeah, I neglected to mention Toronto, but I, too, thought they had a horrible first round.  I haven't seen what they did in later rounds to know whether it balanced out a little.  Not a knock on Marner, but I don't like their picking him (glad they did; Flyers don't get Provolov if they pick Hanifin.  Provolov goes to Carolina.  Actually, when Toronto went forward I thought it was pretty certain that the Flyers were getting Provolov.  I thought the Devils were a maybe but unlikely.).  Marner will be a very good player for the Leafs.  I just thought they should go d-man.  I bet they were ticked at Arizona, though.

@JackStraw

Marners a good pick. So would have anyone been that should have gone top 7 or 8. 

Passing on a falling Konecny and then Merkley...maybe because of Marners size they didn't want to go all smurf, but those two to me are way better prospects than what they ended up with.

are you sure you don't live here in Lancaster, PA! :D

606z2.jpg

baby-pig-in-slop-happy.jpg?w=646

I lived in Paradise for 10 years.  True story.  (Well, my parents did.  4 of them i was away at college. And the last four I lived in East Lampeter)

I lived in Paradise for 10 years.  True story.  (Well, my parents did.  4 of them i was away at college. And the last four I lived in East Lampeter)

And to think we could have been neighbors.... :D  I'm 15 min away from E. Lampeter. (I live about 5 min away from the Mall)  Though I did not move to Lancaster until 2005.  Lived in Malvern outside of West Chester from 1994-97 then that is when I moved to Va Bch for several years.

And to think we could have been neighbors.... :D  I'm 15 min away from E. Lampeter. (I live about 5 min away from the Mall)  Though I did not move to Lancaster until 2005.  Lived in Malvern outside of West Chester from 1994-97 then that is when I moved to Va Bch for several years.

We've probably yelled at each other while driving and didn't know it.  

I know Malvern well.    Narberth (Lower Merion), Philly (Roxborough). Frazer.  Paradise.  I never lived in Va Beach but my brother has for years (Navy).  

Marriage/jobs took me to Harrisburg and then Hell (Williamsport), where I've been since.

I have to say that I'm happy with how things went for Ottawa and Calgary. I think the Oilers, Hurricanes, and Islanders did well. I think all of you Flyers fans should be pretty happy too. Toronto and Boston did not do well, and I've got my questions about Pittsburgh as well. I think Buffalo was a mixed bag. They made good additions, but as others have said, they could have gotten more.

I loved the Leafs pick in the first round. Highly skilled Canadian (Toronto even) kid. Most of us Leafs fans get it....

Second round and so on - never heard of any of those kids...

Ask again in five years, lol.

Seriously, my top five:

Edmonton. McDavid, Talbot, Reinhart. Enough said.

Buffalo: Eichel and O'Reilly give instant credibility. Overpaid for Lehner tho.

Flyers: Got the d-man they were hoping for. Konecny still there that late in the first round? Crazy. And then dealt Grossman. Good couple of days.

Bluejackets: Werenski at 8 gives them the big d-man they need, Carlsson late in the first gave them another big body on the blue line and somehow Paul Biitner fell to 38. The big, heavy, hard hitting jackets just got bigger and harder to play against. Great draft.

Carolina: Hanifin inexplicably fell to five. Wow. Traded for Lack and Wisniewski, they are better than before the draft which is all they could have hoped for.

LOSERS

Kings. Martin Jones and the 13th pick for Lucic? About the only thing the Bruins did right all week

Bruins: Speaking of, Hamilton, Soderberg and Lucic netted a very boring draft.  Full on rebuild here they come.

Red Wings. the Russian kid at 19 is considered to be a find but then a 5 foot nine d-man in the third and a long term project in goal in the fourth round. Good thing the system is so deep, very weak draft class this year.

Avalanche: Soderberg is a 40 point a year guy who is 30, signed to a five year contract. For O'Reilly they added Zadorov and Grigorenko who are two attitude cases from Buffalo. I think at best they took a step sideways. At best.

WINNERS:

Obviously, I'm biased but I think the Flyers had an excellent draft.  I don't know if any other team did better in addressing their needs.  

Buffalo has definitely gotten stronger through a combination of trades and the draft. These trades/draft picks may only push them up to mediocrity but it is a start. 

Edmonton is in the same boat as Buffalo.

LOSERS:

IMHO, Boston is the biggest loser.  They had some real head scratching moves.  They went from needing to dump some salary straight to rebuilding mode for no apparent reason.

The Penguins only had 4 picks and I'm not impressed with who they took.  Are they really looking that hard at Kessel or Oshie?  

Were the Kings & Wings even there?  I didn't hear or see anything on them.

Time will tell for sure but who do you think are the winners & losers?

Someone forgot to tell Sweeney you pull the pin and then throw the grenade. Don't drop it between your own feet

In any case, I consider the Sharks a winner this draft. Getting Edmonton's 3rd for TMac this year made my day when I read it.

But effectively,

Trading up for Roy IS huge.

I stopped watching after 24, but was beyond surprised he was still on the board at 31. I had no idea. Speechless really when i saw we got him.

This draft blew my socks off.

This draft was so deep guys like Meier and Rantanen would have gone top 5 in a lot of years the past 5 years. Roy was ranked very highly by many.

Central scouting had him 21, ISS had him 23, Mackenzie had him 29, Button had him 27, Damien Cox had him 20, Ryan Kennedy 24, Mackeen 24, ESPN 19, The hockey news 26, Thehockeywriters 17, Future considerations had him 13!, Hockeyprospectus 26.

Basically, a draft this deep, where guys from 8-14 might have gone 3-4 in years past, just knock 10 spots off and presume in a regular draft, Roy goes in the 7-15 range.

We may as well have had two 1st round picks. We could not have picked a better year to miss the playoffs

There was only one big winner in the draft IMO, and that was the Oilers. No one else in the draft even comes close to McDavid IMHO. The team that gets the best player wins and that was McDavid.

The losers? Definitely the Bruins.

So that is the goalie from Ottawa right?  I hear he has tremendous potential.  I hope he is the next Hasek.  Buffalo has had the magic of landing good goalies over their history.  They have just been plain lucky in that area.  I hope it continues.  But is a free agent move now dead and over?  

No, the Sabre brain trust says that they plan on kicking tires on some defenseman, seeing who or what fits their budget.

I love Eichel and O'Reilly, McGinn is a hard working grinder with a scoring touch. A very good week for the Sabres.

Well the above poster says we should just hand Edmonton the Cup.  I do not agree.  But they are now a playoff team for sure.  Just what we needed.  Gretsky put them on the map.  Did anyone know where the hell Edmonton was before he came along?  It would have been far better for the NHL had McDavid landed in a city that the world truly recognizes.  You know, like NY, Philly, LA, even Buffalo.  But Edmonton?  Sucks

Where was Edmonton before Gretzky came along? Ummm, in the WHA for seven years. They were part of the merger between the two leagues a couple of months after the Indianapolis Racers dealt Gretzky to the Oilers. The Racers came really, really close to dealing him to the Winnipeg Jets which would have changed the history of the sport completely.....

The Oilers are not a playoff team, adding McDavid and Talbot does not a playoff team make. It is a great piece and an improvement in goal (though how much is up for debate) but the Oilers have glaring holes all over their roster that cannot be glossed over by an 18 year old McSavior.

Buffalo is improved, Eichel is going to be a solid player and O'Reilly is fantastic. The skill level of their forwards is dramatically improved.

A few words about Robin Lehner. My own personal observations:

He sucks, he was a terrible pickup. The last two years his record:

21 Wins

36 losses

3.04 goals against

To have given up a first for this slug when Talbot could have been had for less is mindblowing. Lehner will be the giggest disappointment in the game this year. He is not Hasek, or Barasso or Miller or Suave, he is not even Marty Biron. He is just plain awful and always will be.

Ouch! LOL

I laughed at this, too, but he's not wrong. Biron IS a "just" next to those other goalies on the list. But he was serviceable and at least average.

I don't think Lehner is even that. Fine, Murray wants to take a risk. But use lesser picks for projects, not a #21. Just a poor use of that asset, if you ask me. Just wasted a #21.

Lehner is just not a good goalie.

Archived