Flyers trade Grossman and Pronged to Arizona for Gagner

AJgoal

I didn't know any of Grossman's salary was retained. Both Meltzer and Pinaccio had it as 5.2 million of cap savings for the Flyers. Even still, losing 200k in cap space this year isn't really a big deal. The Flyers, right now, need two players to fill out the roster, with 6.7 million in cap space. Ideally, they'll sign MDZ and move another DMan. If they create some hole by dealing VLC or Umberger, or with some act of god MacDonald, they'll have plenty more space to deal with it. The big, big deal, is that the Flyers now have some flexibility to sign Voracek, Schenn, and/or Couturier to extensions on July 1, since Pronger's contract will be gone from next year's cap number. That's HUGE. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say i feel like i'm living in Bizarro Flyers land.

The GM stayed cool and took the good player with his high pick, (I thought Homer did fine with his 1st round picks) got aggressive when he saw a kid he liked with in striking distance of his second pick, made a good trade for both his team and the trade partner to get his guy...

then,  then he uses the next two picks to address an area of need with in the organization as opposed to a guy with a great right, hook...

then,  he is able to dump a spare part player Grossmann whom i liked , and Prongers contract for an bonified NHL player .

it's like the team did exactly what most of us were hoping for, the FO addressed needs , selected good players, created some financial wiggle room... it's a June 27th miracle 

Somebody clue me in on Gagner. -28 on a defensively-oriented club sounds like a real disaster.  Is he declining? It's clear his 41 points aren't worth the amount he's paid but to be traded twice in a day, then traded for cap bait...is there more here that we don't know.  It's not as if we need another center, unless this is viewed as another salvage project like MDZ.

Best,

Howie

Greetings:

Here is another take on this, with the "what if" a buyout; apparently TBL would be impacted but all is kosher with Bettmann, et. al!

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/27/so-what-happens-if-philly-buys-out-gagner/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Boy, what a complicated gig this is. . . . . 

Howie

Somebody clue me in on Gagner. -28 on a defensively-oriented club sounds like a real disaster.  Is he declining? It's clear his 41 points aren't worth the amount he's paid but to be traded twice in a day, then traded for cap bait...is there more here that we don't know.  It's not as if we need another center, unless this is viewed as another salvage project like MDZ.

Best,

Howie

Howie, the poor bastard was in Edmonton, where they ruin your confidence and teach you bad habits and then just to dig the cactus deeper into his arse, he went to Arizona.

I Imagine he is ecstatic to be in a city where he might get actual coaching and REAL hockey

Howie, Gagner has never been known for his defense, this is true. However, the "Yotes also had the second worst goal differential overall at -102. with 41 points, he factored into almost a fourth of their offense. I think he's worth a look in a transition year. If he doesn't work with Hakstol's system, you trade him at the deadline if you can, otherwise just let his deal expire.

Wow. The Flyers now have ~28 million in 16/17 cap space they can use for Voracek, Schenn, and Couturier (and anyone else, of course).

Hmm.. The new site looks just like capgeek, but it shows White as an RFA. That's wrong, right?

Wow. The Flyers now have ~28 million in 16/17 cap space they can use for Voracek, Schenn, and Couturier (and anyone else, of course).

Hmm.. The new site looks just like capgeek, but it shows White as an RFA. That's wrong, right?

The site is still in its infancy. They ask for reports on twitter if a contract is incorrect and usually fix it within an hour.

Howie, the poor bastard was in Edmonton, where they ruin your confidence and teach you bad habits and then just to dig the cactus deeper into his arse, he went to Arizona.

I Imagine he is ecstatic to be in a city where he might get actual coaching and REAL hockey

Joe and AJ:

Thanks for the input. Yeah...I guess Edmonton is something of a black hole these days.  I can't imagine that Arizona's goal differential is that bad.  But if I read correctly, we shouldn't be surprised if there is a buyout.  I need aspirin powders to get my arms around this gig.  Yikes.

Thanks again,

Howie

Meltzer reporting in his blog that the 2016 4th or 2017 3rd went to Arizona, Not Philly.

Edit: But other sources are saying it's from Arizona: a 4th if the Coyotes acquire one in 2016's draft, otherwise it's a 2017 3rd. I have no idea. This weekend has been nuts.

Meltzer reporting in his blog that the 2016 4th or 2017 3rd went to Arizona, Not Philly.

Edit: But other sources are saying it's from Arizona: a 4th if the Coyotes acquire one in 2016's draft, otherwise it's a 2017 3rd. I have no idea. This weekend has been nuts.

From NHL.com:

The Philadelphia Flyers have acquired 5-11, 202 lb C Sam Gagner and a conditional 2016 or 2017 draft pick from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for D Nicklas Grossmann and the contract of D Chris Pronger, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=772687&navid=nhl:topheads

Edit: maybe you misread Meltzer's blog- he has the pick going to the Flyers too.

Shortly after the conclusion of the 2015 NHL Draft, the Flyers announced a trade with the Arizona Coyotes: the team sent defenseman Nicklas Grossmann, the contract of Chris Pronger in exchange for 25-year-old forward Sam Gagner and a conditional draft pick (fourth round in 2016 or third round in 2017 at the Coyotes' choice).

If he can trade Vinnie I'll name my firstborn child after him, regardless of whether it's a girl or boy.

Well, Ronny or Ronnie can work both ways, but that is the team spirit!!

I like the addition of Gagner. I was a fan of his since his days in London with the Knights and believe he's been a victim of circumstance in terms of playing for disfunctional franchises. I really think he turns his game around here and I really believe that Joe Mullen and Dave Hakstol will be great influences on him.

I like the addition of Gagner. I was a fan of his since his days in London with the Knights and believe he's been a victim of circumstance in terms of playing for disfunctional franchises. I really think he turns his game around here and I really believe that Joe Mullen and Dave Hakstol will be great influences on him.

I was about to say something along those lines also. Gagner is a serviceable player in this league. I see no reason to buy him out. Perhaps it will depend on Laughton's progress. If Scott is ready, I don't agree with Gagner taking his spot. I'd like to also save a spot for Ryan White, but hey...he's a UFA, he might get a deal the Flyers are not comfortable with....ie to much money for a 4th liner....or bottom six, depending. Let's get them to camp and let everything sort itself out....but Gagner would be a nice insurance policy also, should something serious happen to one of the regular centers. He's nice and fast, which seems to be the new per-requesite and I'm in favour of that .....big time.

Gagner is kind of an enigma, last year he had a 5 point game, 4 goals and 1 assist. It was his only dominant game of the season, but it kind of makes me wonder, what if he was playing with somebody like Simmonds, that would be a good match and it would give Dave a better linemate than he has had in the past (for the most part anyways).

Gagner is kind of an enigma, last year he had a 5 point game, 4 goals and 1 assist. It was his only dominant game of the season, but it kind of makes me wonder, what if he was playing with somebody like Simmonds, that would be a good match and it would give Dave a better linemate than he has had in the past (for the most part anyways).

I see no immediate need for further cap relief (12 forward and 7 D under contract, you really only need one forward and a backup goaltender with ~6.7 million in cap space), so letting Gagner play for a year is fine by me.

Who's Dave?

I see no immediate need for further cap relief (12 forward and 7 D under contract, you really only need one forward and a backup goaltender with ~6.7 million in cap space), so letting Gagner play for a year is fine by me.

Who's Dave?

AJ,

They need to sign (or call up) two more skaters and the backup goalie.  You need 23 players on the roster.  They may not need anymore cap relief but it sure would be nice to have it.

I assume Dave is Hakstol.

If there was a top line LW on the market, I might agree that more cap space is necessary, but I just don't see that. So 6.7 million for one, maybe two skaters (23 is the roster maximum, not a requirement) for your bottom 6, and a backup goalie. Or for MDZ, a forward for your bottom six, and a backup goalie. that should be way more than doable as it is.

As it stands with players under contract, the roster looks kind of like:

Raffl - Giroux - Voracek

Read - Couturier - Schenn

Umberger? - Gagner - Simmonds

Bellemare - VLC - Rinaldo

Schultz - Streit

Medvedev - Schenn

Gudas - MacDonald

Manning

If they re-sign MDZ and don't manage to offload a defenseman, I imagine Manning and his salary (~600k) move down, though I guess Gudas could, with maybe a small sliver of his salary counting against the cap. They could very easily fill the extra forward slot(s) from the Phantoms at minimal cost, or they could re-sign White and/or Vandevelde. The only real shopping they need to do is for a backup goalie.

AJ,

They need to sign (or call up) two more skaters and the backup goalie.  You need 23 players on the roster.  They may not need anymore cap relief but it sure would be nice to have it.

I assume Dave is Hakstol.

you don't need 23. 22 is more likely (13 forwards, 7 defenseman, 2 goalies) 

you don't need 23. 22 is more likely (13 forwards, 7 defenseman, 2 goalies)

@RJ8812,

Need...not required.

Name one team that doesn't carry 23 players. The only team I know of that didn't carry 23 was the Devils a few years ago because they were over the salary cap. I believe that was under the old CBA when players were subject to re-entry waivers.

Archived