What a joke

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I know what happened. Because you can't handle this you are freaking out. Chill. It took 30 owners to agree to the last CBA. Your not the one writing the check. No one circumvented anything. So, no issue at this point.

He (Flyers) did not circumvent the cap.  Pronger's contract and trade were APPROVED BY THE LEAGUE.  What part of that is circumventing the cap?  Because you don't like it doesn't mean it is circumventing the cap!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Who is the league? Other owners!!!!!

The same guys who have repeated and will once again cry COST CERTAINTY!!!! They need to hold themselves accountable!!!

Oh, I know what happened. Because you can't handle this you are freaking out. Chill. It took 30 owners to agree to the last CBA. Your not the one writing the check. No one circumvented anything. So, no issue at this point.

So you like lockouts Ah?

Kiprusoff had one year remaining on a six-year contract he signed before the start of the 2008-09 season when he was 31 years old. He did not sign nor enter the contract after he was 35 years old.  

What am I missing?

EDIT:  I thought you were saying Kiprusoff retiring circumvented the cap.  I went back to the first page to see that it wasn't you that brought up Kiprusoff.  Disregard this post.

Kiprusoff had one year remaining on a six-year contract he signed before the start of the 2008-09 season when he was 31 years old. He did not sign nor enter the contract after he was 35 years old.  

What am I missing?

Different rules for before 35 and 35+.

What am I missing?

In fairness to OSH, I'm that person that brought up Kiprusoff. He signed the contract with the intention of never playing the final year, just so the Flames could stretch it out and lower the AAV, as confirmed by Mike Keenan:

“I know, when he negotiated his contract, it was his intention he would not play that final year, and that he’d go back to Finland,” Keenan told Brady and Lang on Sportsnet 590, The FAN Wednesday.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/03/28/miikka-kiprusoff-nears-the-finnish-line

Teams and players were not supposed to sign contracts that were never meant to be fully honoured in an attempt to lower the caphit, which is cap circumvention. Other GMs were spitting mad at the time.

35+ contract STAYS with the team for the term of the contract. This trade is bad in so many ways.

Arizona now has a contract to help them to get to the cap floor.

Now you tell me your view of what just happened?

That is not accurate.  The 35+ contract only stays with the team that signed him if the player retires or is bought out.  Pronger did not retire nor was he bought out.

Learn that Snider was one of the biggest reasons why had two major lockouts for cost certainty. And HE circumvented the very system he wanted, no demanded be put in place!!!!

Snider was also responsible for stepping up to put an end to the last lockout.  

In fairness to OSH, I'm that person that brought up Kiprusoff. He signed the contract with the intention of never playing the final year, just so the Flames could stretch it out and lower the AAV, as confirmed by Mike Keenan:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/03/28/miikka-kiprusoff-nears-the-finnish-line

Teams and players were not supposed to sign contracts that were never meant to be fully honoured in an attempt to lower the caphit, which is cap circumvention. Other GMs were spitting mad at the time.

Yep.  THAT was cap circumvention.  No amount of hand wringing or wailing or gnashing of teeth turns the Coyotes/Flyers trade into cap circumvention.  It was one team trading a player and an active contract for a player and a pick.    Nothing to see here.   Move on.

I don't really understand the motivation from a Arizona standpoint. I get that they have to reach the cap floor, but why not just sign a healthy player that can contribute to the team?

In addition to what AJ said, another reason might be that Pronger's salary is very likely covered by insurance. Pretty sure that was the case for the Flyers. So he may not actually cost them any money.

I totally disagree with this kind of attitude.

And my attitude is 100% supported by the FACT I've hated seeing two lockouts over cost certainty. The Flyers signed Pronger to 35+ contract and should be stuck with it based on the owners need for cost certainty!

Do you understand what cost certainty is?????

NYR offers 2nd round pick and a cap dump to Arizona in exchange for Pronger's contract.

Buys out Pronger.

Flyers with a 7.6 million cap recapture penalty next season.

ROFL

Can't buy out an injured player.

Do you understand what cost certainty is?????

Do you?   

Please tell us, oh wise one of the world. Please grant us your wisdom and knowledge.  

1) What is cost certainty to you?

2) What rule has been broken?

3) What is the problem with a team trading ANY active contract to another team?  Especially given that it's been done for decades.  The only difference here is that the player isn't actually playing.

4) How do you blame Snider unevenly from small teams for the lockout yet not give him credit for helping to build the majority that stopped it?

I feel like there are so many questions I should ask while I have the attention of a poster of such high intellect and superior insight, but I'll just start with these.  

:ph34r:

@Old School Hockey

Wow....after reading through this thread and the insults you're hurling I take it your Wings didn't draft who you wanted?  :huh:

Well I really wanted the Wings to go defense in the first round, preferably to trade down and pick up more picks and get Brandon Carlo, and instead they took the Russian kid so I am in a Baaa-aad mood.

Archived