Official - Kessel to Pens for prospects, picks

pilldoc

Jesus, what a steal for the Pens.

Not impressed with Harrington. I think he is a career number 7.

Kapanen is a solid prospect.

A first, late in the draft. Essentially a crapshoot.

And the Leafs are retaining 2 million making Kessel's salary palatable.

I think I heard if the Pens miss the playoffs in 2016 and in 2017 they won't get the picks! Would that be correct?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kessel or not the Pens still have no blttom six and the defense is pretty suspect.

Third line should be fine.  I think that Dupuis-Sutter-Bennet(still needs a contract, RFA) will provide energy, and is a better fit than putting Dupuis on the top line with Sid.   If Sundkvist makes the team, it only upgrade that line even more, and probably pushes Bennet back to the fourth line. Then Add Plotnikov to the mix, and they may actually be strong on the bottom six. One thing they could use to sign is some muscle for the fourth line.

Everyone always says the Pens defense will be suspect.  Letang-Maatta should be a great first pair, Cole-Pouliot will be solid with Pouliot providing great breakout speed.  Scuderi-Lovejoy(if they could only dump one or both), aren't stars, but are very experienced at the NHL level. They are the ones that will have limited time on the ice. Defensively, they should be fine

Kessel or not the Pens still have no blttom six and the defense is pretty suspect.

You keep saying this, but I can't see where you're coming from. How is Dupuis-Sutter-Kunitz not a good third line? What about the defense is suspect? I am no fan of Lovejoy or Scuderi right now but they're 5 & 6 right now with probably Dumoulin as a call up 7.

@Polaris922

The reason I think the bottom 6 is suspect is Kunitz's decline over the course of last season, his game looked like an NFL running back's that loses that step of speed that made him effective.  I also question whether Dupuis will be a healthy enough to play a full season and if his myriad injuries over the past 3 seasons will have negative effects on his effectiveness.  Beau Bennett hasn't shown much whether that is because of his usage or injuries is for debate , the results have been underwhelming... those are the top 3 of the bottom six ,and they are legitimate questions so for this reason, I think the Pgh depth will be the achilles heel.  After Sutter there are questions for the next five players.

@Polaris922

The reason I think the bottom 6 is suspect is Kunitz's decline over the course of last season, his game looked like an NFL running back's that loses that step of speed that made him effective.  I also question whether Dupuis will be a healthy enough to play a full season and if his myriad injuries over the past 3 seasons will have negative effects on his effectiveness.  Beau Bennett hasn't shown much whether that is because of his usage or injuries is for debate , the results have been underwhelming... those are the top 3 of the bottom six ,and they are legitimate questions so for this reason, I think the Pgh depth will be the achilles heel.

All understandable points.   Kunitz was dealing with an iron deficiency last season which was a part of his problems.   Hopefully they have that under control now.  Only time will tell with Dupuis, anyone coming back from major knee issues will always be a question mark, but his heart and effort will be there as always.  Bennet is an enigma still, but I don't think he's been given a fair shot as of yet,  I think they'll give him a one year contract to see if he works out, or trade him during the year. For him, there should be a big reason to put out extra effort this season.

@Polaris922

The reason I think the bottom 6 is suspect is Kunitz's decline over the course of last season, his game looked like an NFL running back's that loses that step of speed that made him effective. I also question whether Dupuis will be a healthy enough to play a full season and if his myriad injuries over the past 3 seasons will have negative effects on his effectiveness. Beau Bennett hasn't shown much whether that is because of his usage or injuries is for debate , the results have been underwhelming... those are the top 3 of the bottom six ,and they are legitimate questions so for this reason, I think the Pgh depth will be the achilles heel. After Sutter there are questions for the next five players.

Kunitz's ankle and iron issues aside, I think he is perfect for third line duty. He still hits and goes to the net. He still has touch in front of the net. Neither of his issues from last year should affect this year.

In fairness though, you just never know. An interview with Johnston yesterday sounded pretty positive in that Johnston seemed to think he could still compete from first line duties...

Sorry... I am on my phone. EXACTLY what mojo said.

I just don't see Sutter, Kunitz and Dupuis as a question mark on a third line. If anything I think they'll be one of the more potent third lines in the league.

Kunitz's ankle and iron issues aside, I think he is perfect for third line duty. He still hits and goes to the net. He still has touch in front of the net. Neither of his issues from last year should affect this year.

In fairness though, you just never know. An interview with Johnston yesterday sounded pretty positive in that Johnston seemed to think he could still compete from first line duties...

Kunitz has lost a step (or two) but I think that has/will only hamper his offense and probably keep him to only fill in chances on the first line. On the third line he should be at least fine.

I actually like Pitt's third line (begrudgingly, of course). If the Russian kid slides into wing in the top six as expected AND the Pens stay reasonably healthy, the Pens should be set up front.

On defense, your five and six are Meh, but Chicago just won the Cup with a 5&6 they didn't even want to put on the ice. If Letang can stay healthy and the kids continue to progress, that defense should be at least decent.

The only problem is Fleury in net. I've read somewhere, I think, that that's a bad thing. ;)

i think all things being equal Kunitz's game would be better suited in a top 6 role too, I think the things that 3rd line duties require are not Chris' strengths.  So for your teams sake i hope his blood and ankle are all good to go.  

i think all things being equal Kunitz's game would be better suited in a top 6 role too, I think the things that 3rd line duties require are not Chris' strengths. So for your teams sake i hope his blood and ankle are all good to go.

Appreciate that

If met MAF in a bar. I would probably buy him a Molson's.(if I can't say Molson please change it to beer!)

What does Molson have to do with beer?  I imagine you were concerned about brand?   If I were to change Molson for its generic representative term it would be cow p###.   :ph34r:  :hocky:

What does Molson have to do with beer?  I imagine you were concerned about brand?   If I were to change Molson for its generic representative term it would be cow p###.   :ph34r:  :hocky:
I thought Moslon was a beer I guess its something else?

• 1 month later...

See? This is what I mean. It's a writers opinion. Kessel did not say it.

I watched Phil look dead into a camera and say "everybody knows, there is one set of rules for everyone else, and another for me." It was lots and lots of stations....Global, Sportsnet, TSN, even my local CTV station carried it...it was big news. He also said it with a cavalier attitude, practically bragging that he can dictate things.

I am reasonably confident that Kessel will go back to being his old self. He will be playing with superstar calibre players, Something he wasn't lucky enough to experience in Toronto. Even more notably, he will no longer have to carry a team offensively, he will be more of a complimentary piece, which is most likely his preference, and a great deal of pressure will be removed off him when it comes to having to carry a team offensively.

I am reasonably confident that Kessel will go back to being his old self. He will be playing with superstar calibre players, Something he wasn't lucky enough to experience in Toronto. Even more notably, he will no longer have to carry a team offensively, he will be more of a complimentary piece, which is most likely his preference, and a great deal of pressure will be removed off him when it comes to having to carry a team offensively.

I also think that for those reasons Kessel will excel here.  Nowhere near the pressure, day in and day out.  No leadership responsibility.  He won't have to do ANYTHING but show up and play the game.  And he's proven he can score.  He's outscored Crosby and Malkin individually over the past five years.  Granted due to their injuries, but that consistency on either wing will be a blessing.  He's working out with Gary Roberts, and to me that tells me he wants it to be different.  It's amazing what a change of scenery can do for a player in this league, and it gives me hope he will succeed all the more.  

Archived