Leafs trade Kessel to Pittsburgh!

BluPuk

If I'm the Leafs, I wanted at least Pouliot over Harrington. That said, I think the Leafs did fine here. Only holding back 1.25 million of salary is a pretty good deal for them.

Not sure how you figure that unless you have a crystal ball. :P  BUT, that said, I think Kessel will do very well in Pitt. with Sidney to set him up - he should get 40 goals in a bad year....

Sounds more like a win-win to me, but I don't really know any of the other players coming from Pitt. and draft picks are always a roll of the dice. But it seems to me that this is what we Leafs fans have been asking for....

@BluPuk

you'll like Kaepanen, he's shot out of a cannon. 

Harrington , meh could be a decent player never seemed to care a whole lot about defense not a great quality for a defensman, and Spauling is a versatile guy he can slot in in that middle six group of forwards has a nice compete level...  i too think this was a good trade for both teams.

They could have saved the bother of all the useless spare parts players moving around and just done Kessel for the draft picks.

All in all, this is exactly what I predicted would happen. So I'm happy that Kessel is gone, and I'm happy about being right about the way in which it happened. :cool[1]:

Next up, Dion.....  One more draft pick coming right up...... 

Not sure how you figure that unless you have a crystal ball. :P  BUT, that said, I think Kessel will do very well in Pitt. with Sidney to set him up - he should get 40 goals in a bad year....

Sounds more like a win-win to me, but I don't really know any of the other players coming from Pitt. and draft picks are always a roll of the dice. But it seems to me that this is what we Leafs fans have been asking for....

This was the plan all along since the trade deadline of last season. They gave this group (Phaneuf, Kessel, Bozak, Reimer, etc.) several chances to show what they could do. Management looked and waited to see signs of improvement (which never happened). The team regressed, and management decided that it was time to start over with a new "core" group of players. Expect to see Phaneuf, Reimer, and maybe even Bozak gone as well. The Leafs are slowly turning the page on the cast of characters that haven't been able to get it done in the past five years.  :)

Win-win deal. Pens win short run with a truly fast talented winger for Sid at a bearable cap hit. Leafs win long run with a promising Kapanen and probable first rounder next draft.

I'm extremely happy with this deal. The more I weigh it the happier I get.

They could have saved the bother of all the useless spare parts players moving around and just done Kessel for the draft picks.

All in all, this is exactly what I predicted would happen. So I'm happy that Kessel is gone, and I'm happy about being right about the way in which it happened. :cool[1]:

Meh. I'd be happy getting those prospects back too tho. Maybe one will work out.

Phaneuf is not going anywhere. He was never part of the problem on this team IMHO. 

JVR would be my next target, but not likely until after the season starts so Babcock can see for himself how lazy that guy is too. I believe they will dump Bozak if they can, but Phaneuf is not going anywhere. Just my 2 cents ;)

Phaneuf is not going anywhere. He was never part of the problem on this team IMHO. 

JVR would be my next target, but not likely until after the season starts so Babcock can see for himself how lazy that guy is too. I believe they will dump Bozak if they can, but Phaneuf is not going anywhere. Just my 2 cents ;)

Well I think the "Bozak as #1 center" experiment needs to be over. I'd be fine having him as a #2 guy, but the Leafs need to grow themselves a #1 center.

Phaneuf is not a #1 defenceman. His contract makes him very difficult to move, but I think he'll go too this month. He's not a problem player like Kessel was, but he just doesn't have the elite talent level to justify that contract.  :)

In 3 years the Pens will pay a steep price! This past January it looked like the Pens were on their way to win a division crown only to barely make the playoffs! I'm not sure if they will make it to the post season in 2016! Then we'll see how well this trade was for Pittsburgh!

@notfondajane

I wonder if Phil can get the rest of the Pens to buy into his way of thinking?

It'll be mandatory "cookie time" between periods!  :P

Inside the Penguins locker room in 2015-16:

Sid: "This is the system we play here. We need you to do x."

Phil: "But I'm Phil Kessel. You do know who I am right?" (Munches on cookie.)

Sid: "..."  (Banging head against wall.)

It'll be mandatory "cookie time" between periods!  :P

Inside the Penguins locker room in 2015-16:

Sid: "This is the system we play here. We need you to do x."

Phil: "But I'm Phil Kessel. You do know who I am right?" (Munches on cookie.)

Sid: "..."  (Banging head against wall.)

What is funny is that I actually think this will happen! ;D

@notfondajane

I think Kessel toes the line his first season or two...and then reverts back to why he's been traded twice while being one of the leagues elite goal scorers. Maybe not....maybe he just needs someone to kick his ass.

I could see your point happening and hoping it doesn't happen!

Archived