Tarasenko signs 8-year, $60 million contract

ruxpin

tarasenko.jpg?w=400&h=225&crop=1

http://fox2now.com/2015/07/07/tarasenko-signs-8-year-60-million-contract/

ST. LOUIS (KTVI) – Vladimir Tarasenko must really love the custard and free admission to the zoo. The Blues forward just inked a deal that’ll keep him in St. Louis for the next eight years, team general manager Doug Armstrong said Tuesday.

The 23-year-old finished last season tied for 10th in overall points (73) and notched a +27 rating. Tarasenko was also the youngest Blues player to record a 30-goal season since Brendan Shanahan in the 1991-92 season.

He played in his first all-star game in January and was one of four players to post two hat-tricks this season.

In the postseason, Tarasenko scored six goals in the Blues’ first-round series loss against the Minnesota Wild.

Originally drafted by the Blues in the first round (16th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Tarasenko has accumulated 135 points (66 goals, 69 assists) in 179 career regular season games across three seasons with the club.

Imagine what this kid could do an open offensive system..... To produce like that at his age under Hictchcock says a lot. 

But I agree with Blu, that is a heck of a contract. 

I think those kinds of contracts are on the way out.

Unfortunately, GMs, players and agents don't seem to agree with that sentiment...

That's the second one of those deals this week.

Unfortunately, GMs, players and agents don't seem to agree with that sentiment...

That's the second one of those deals this week.

It makes sense to do it under the right circumstances. Tarasenko is only 23 years old. If this past season is any indication of what's ahead for him, we're in for quite a show. If the Blues had signed him for only 3 or 4 years, how do we know they wouldn't end up paying through the nose to keep him at the end of the contract. $7.5 per is a steal if he keeps going the way he is.

As far as Tarasenko's side, why not jump at this? No matter what happens, he's going to rake in millions. There's security from uncertainty in this for the player. Hopefully for all involved it'll prove to be a win-win.

$7.5 per is a steal if he keeps going the way he is.

As far as Tarasenko's side, why not jump at this?

Absolutely agree. I was taking issue with the idea that these sorts of contracts "are on the way out."

Absolutely agree. I was taking issue with the idea that these sorts of contracts "are on the way out."

I know. I was trying to back you up on that. Apparently I didn't phrase it well. Lol

@ruxpin

Actually this is a more reasonable contract than some of other "super stars".  It is actually a good deal for the Blues

Yeah, I really hoped he wasn't going to hold out for more.   The length is long but not absurd and the $7.5M/yr. seems reasonable.  Not bad at all. 

Yeah, I really hoped he wasn't going to hold out for more.   The length is long but not absurd and the $7.5M/yr. seems reasonable.  Not bad at all. 

Is this good or bad for hockey...so much while so young......i say bad.......

Tarasenko deal represents the next wave of NHL contracts

http://www.tsn.ca/tarasenko-deal-represents-the-next-wave-of-nhl-contracts-1.328012

So i wonder how this is going to effect Stamkos and his new deal.....hell even Jake now..............................................

This was a stoke of genius by the Blues. Tarasenko is only going to get better. Had they waited, he would have got a LOT more. To lock up a young star for this long, somebody who will be in the top 10 in scoring for basically the life of this deal....they got a steal IMHO. When a middle pairing defensive guy like Petry is pulling in almost the same moneym, you can only imagine Tarasenko would have been upwards of well...what ever the max is next year....10 mill or so. Very smart move by the Blues.

@jammer2

It's a great move if Tarasenko keeps developing the way he has been. I'd say the long term contracts that have been handed out around the league are about 50/50 whether they worked out or not. As a Flyer fan, it's probably more like 20/80. Or worse.

If he continues on the path he's on and the cap goes up it could be a steal. If he loses focus because there's no more monetary motivation, they could have a Yashin/VLC/Bryzgalov/Clarkson/Semin/Richards/Richards/MacDonald/Gomez/ Dipietro/Staal/Horton/Pronger/Phaneuf/Luongo/Bolland (shall i go on?) type of scenario.

Sorry, but Phaneuf does not belong on your //// list IMHO. Pay no attention to Leafs fans who don't know a good hockey player when they see one. Phaneuf is worth every penny - and one of the few in the NHL who is.

Just sayin'.  :thumbsu:

Sorry, but Phaneuf does not belong on your //// list IMHO. Pay no attention to Leafs fans who don't know a good hockey player when they see one. Phaneuf is worth every penny - and one of the few in the NHL who is.

Just sayin'.  :thumbsu:

Right now? Maybe....let's see how many people think a 36 year old Phaneuf is worth a $7 million caphit.

Right now? Maybe....let's see how many people think a 36 year old Phaneuf is worth a $7 million caphit.

There are people who thought that Andrew MacDonald got a raw deal last season.

No, really.

:hocky:

@jammer2

It's a great move if Tarasenko keeps developing the way he has been. I'd say the long term contracts that have been handed out around the league are about 50/50 whether they worked out or not. As a Flyer fan, it's probably more like 20/80. Or worse.

If he continues on the path he's on and the cap goes up it could be a steal. If he loses focus because there's no more monetary motivation, they could have a Yashin/VLC/Bryzgalov/Clarkson/Semin/Richards/Richards/MacDonald/Gomez/ Dipietro/Staal/Horton/Pronger/Phaneuf/Luongo/Bolland (shall i go on?) type of scenario.

I know what you are saying bro, but I feel pretty safe about this signing. The kid is flat out electric....not a stretch to call him this generation's Pavel Bure....he makes things happen...and his speed should not diminish through the life of this deal.  It does seem to come back to haunt the Flyers, but when you make the call on speed and a DYNAMIC skill set, chances are, you made the right move.

I know what you are saying bro, but I feel pretty safe about this signing. The kid is flat out electric....not a stretch to call him this generation's Pavel Bure....he makes things happen...and his speed should not diminish through the life of this deal.  It does seem to come back to haunt the Flyers, but when you make the call on speed and a DYNAMIC skill set, chances are, you made the right move.

There's no questioning his skill. It's well worth that contract, especially considering he likely hasn't hit his ceiling yet.

Are you as confident as I was with the Jeff Carter or Mike Richards signings? Or you were with the Bryz signing? Or MacDonald?

8 years is a long time to stay motivated with all that money coming in. I have no idea what Tarasenko is like personally. But all that money can make people lazy, and we've seen it over and over. I've just grown very wary of the long term contract when it's guaranteed. For every good one, there is a bad one. That isn't great odds.

8 years is a long time to stay motivated with all that money coming in. I have no idea what Tarasenko is like personally.

That was the point of:

@OccamsRazor

If nothing else it will put the onus on teams to spend more time evaluating a player's head and heart in addition to his point totals.

Teams that just throw money around are going to get burned more often than not (*cough* Flyers *cough*). When you look at the contracts you're talking about, the vast majority are the result of the Flyers still trying to bigfoot their way to respectability. Are there other teams that have given so many of these big money long term deals? I don't see them.

I do believe Hextall is taking a different approach than "how can we get the NHL to approve this cap circumventing contract" #homercoaster - which is great to see.

But one has to believe that more and more GMs are going to be warier of such long-term deals, but they are still going to give them out. Locking up a guy at 23 for 7 years isn't a bad idea as long as it's the right guy.

The NHLPA also needs to realize that if these sorts of deals keep blowing up in teams' faces that they're going to face a serious and concerted attempt to get rid of the guaranteed deals.

And that will have far greater implicatons for the vast majority of their membership than the chosen few who take the money and run.

The kid is flat out electric....not a stretch to call him this generation's Pavel Bure....he makes things happen...and his speed should not diminish through the life of this deal.

I could definitely see Tarasenko putting up multiple 50 goal seasons. If I have to pick the one "youngster" most likely to score 60, it's him. I think the Bure comparison is a very good one.

@flyercanuck  Yeah, I really thought Carter and Richards were going to be Flyers for life at one time, so I know what you mean. I can't find it right now, but Tarasenko was the quote of the day on NHL.com yesterday. He was basicallly saying how he was raised to always strive to be better, and how he will never be satisfied with the amount of goals he scores...and how he lays awake at night dreaming of the cup. Sounds to me, like he had a solid upbringing and has a good head on his shoulders. Might be all talk, but it's certainly the type of talk you want to hear out the guy you just signed for 8 years.

Archived