The Vinny anti-Chaos Theory

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the way I see it too.  I can't think of anybody who he is stealing a roster spot from.  And the truth is, if there *was* somebody in the system who would be a no-brainer to make the team, the Flyers would find a way to find a roster spot for that player.

Mad Dog and KK:

I might put Laughton in...hell, I might put an AHL retread.  If Vinny has really deteriorated, his presence is going to suck a lot of energy from the system.  I want to be optimistic and hope he contributes.  I won't hold my breath.

Howie

Vinny is still a useful player and if given the chance can and will produce.

Hard to produce though when your handled the way he was last year, that was as a fan hard to watch, cant imagine playing under those circumstances.

Vinny is still a useful player and if given the chance can and will produce.

Hard to produce though when your handled the way he was last year, that was as a fan hard to watch, cant imagine playing under those circumstances.

Welcome to HockeyForums and I'm glad you decided to join us in conversation.  :D

As for Vinny, he was / and probably still is useful on the second line PP.  After that he really isn't that useful for the Flyers roster as his lack of speed hinders every line combination. Vinny is good along the boards and was probably a plus on the fourth line with Bellemare and Vandevelde, however I think he will spend a lot of time in the pressbox this season.

Welcome to HockeyForums and I'm glad you decided to join us in conversation.  :D

As for Vinny, he was / and probably still is useful on the second line PP.  After that he really isn't that useful for the Flyers roster as his lack of speed hinders every line combination. Vinny is good along the boards and was probably a plus on the fourth line with Bellemare and Vandevelde, however I think he will spend a lot of time in the pressbox this season.

Which would be a mistake by the Flyers if they decide to take that road.  What possible good can come out of sending a 17-year veteran to the press box?  What will that accomplish?  If his performance doesn't improve under the new coach, it won't be for the lack of effort - it will be because he simply can't give you anything else at this point.  It's almost like criticizing a blind man for being blind.

And you know what?  If that's the case, then the Flyers should've bought him out by now and let him do whatever he wants to do for the rest of his life.  But they are paying him a very high salary, which takes a huge bite out of the salary cap. They are stuck with him for better or worse.  What can be gained by sending him to the box?

Which would be a mistake by the Flyers if they decide to take that road. What possible good can come out of sending a 17-year veteran to the press box? What will that accomplish? If his performance doesn't improve under the new coach, it won't be for the lack of effort - it will be because he simply can't give you anything else at this point. It's almost like criticizing a blind man for being blind.

And you know what? If that's the case, then the Flyers should've bought him out by now and let him do whatever he wants to do for the rest of his life. But they are paying him a very high salary, which takes a huge bite out of the salary cap. They are stuck with him for better or worse. What can be gained by sending him to the box?

His 17 years has nothing to do with the Flyers. It's a what have you done for me lately league.

If he is given a chance he hasn't earned a spot meaning he is ineffective then he will be scratched...no favorites doesn't matter if you have 17 years or 17 games.

It's about icing the best team...he best 12 forwards i believe Hak will give him and chance and if he is moved to the bench so be it.

That is all. He'll have to wait his turn like everyone else who isn't in the lineup. Why should there be a different set of rules. Those rules will apply to everyone.

@OccamsRazor

I've said it already Vinny was treated badly last year.

With the lack of scoring on the Flyers vinny should be put into an offensive roll, not the roll of a fourth line grinder.

If put in an offensive roll I think Flyer fans would see a whole different Vinny.

Yes his skills have diminished but not to the point he showed last season, those results were the direct result of poor coaching.

His 17 years has nothing to do with the Flyers. It's a what have you done for me lately league.

If he is given a chance he hasn't earned a spot meaning he is ineffective then he will be scratched...no favorites doesn't matter if you have 17 years or 17 games.

It's about icing the best team...he best 12 forwards i believe Hak will give him and chance and if he is moved to the bench so be it.

That is all. He'll have to wait his turn like everyone else who isn't in the lineup. Why should there be a different set of rules. Those rules will apply to everyone.

I am not suggesting the Flyers have to create and use a different set of rules for him.  I said it already that the team doesn't have to cater to him.  Sure, if he deserves to be in the pressbox - he should be there.  But that should extend to everybody on the team.  If Schenn or Couturier or Simmonds or whoever else doesn't earn ice time, or even a single shift - the same goes to them as well.  But it sounds to me like many fans are going with a preconceived notion that he already sort of earned his place as a healthy scratch while the season didn't even start yet.

Archived